PDA

View Full Version : Transporter discontiuned?

islandsound
2011-03-28, 08:32
So I have been looking on and off for another one of these units, I have one of the original Slim Devices Transporters, but I heard they were discontinued? I now see that it's back on Logitech's sit for sale for $1299. I also searched the threads here and saw there were some promo codes. Are there any more of these codes out there? Are they still making these things? I searched a few months back and found they were going for like $2200 now a grand less, why? Any differences between the original units and Logitech's units? Smack me in the face for all the questions I wasn't able to find them all searching. Thanks guys.

garym
2011-03-28, 11:57
new one is Transporter SE. Doesn't have the "knob". See this thread. Some have reported these going for $999 recently with specials.

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=84281&highlight=transporter+knob

Robin Bowes
2011-03-28, 11:57
On 28/03/11 16:32, islandsound wrote:
>
> So I have been looking on and off for another one of these units, I have
> one of the original Slim Devices Transporters, but I heard they were
> discontinued? I now see that it's back on Logitech's sit for sale for
> $1299. I also searched the threads here and saw there were some promo
> codes. Are there any more of these codes out there? Are they still
> making these things? I searched a few months back and found they were
> going for like $2200 now a grand less, why? Any differences between
> the original units and Logitech's units? Smack me in the face for all
> the questions I wasn't able to find them all searching. Thanks guys.

The only difference is the badge on the front. There is zero
mechanical/electrical difference.

R.
--
"Feed that ego and you starve the soul" - Colonel J.D. Wilkes
http://www.theshackshakers.com/

JJZolx
2011-03-28, 14:54
The only difference is the badge on the front. There is zero
mechanical/electrical difference.

"Badge"? As Gary said, they're missing the navigation knob.

garym
2011-03-28, 14:56
"Badge"? As Gary said, they're missing the navigation knob.

I think Robin was referring to the question of the difference between the original slim Transporters vs the later Logitech transporters (not the current SE's).

Robin Bowes
2011-03-28, 15:11
On 28/03/11 22:56, garym wrote:
>
> JJZolx;621562 Wrote:
>> "Badge"? As Gary said, they're missing the navigation knob.
>
> I think Robin was referring to the question of the difference between
> the original slim Transporters vs the later Logitech transporters (not
> the current SE's).

Correct. I forgot about the SE.

R.
--
"Feed that ego and you starve the soul" - Colonel J.D. Wilkes
http://www.theshackshakers.com/

islandsound
2011-03-28, 19:39
Awesome guys I appreciate the responses. Too bad about the knob business but it's not that big of a deal I guess. In the pictures it looks like there is still one there but obviously that's old. I wonder if there is a black round insert there or a full bezel on the front. I am tempted to just find an older used one at this point.

Actually I just answered my own question, there's a plug in the front of the newly "cleaning out of stock of old Transporters" button on the front.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/533725/new-logitech-transporter-se

Sad, I wish they'd keep making these things.

garym
2011-03-29, 04:13
Awesome guys I appreciate the responses. Too bad about the knob business but it's not that big of a deal I guess. In the pictures it looks like there is still one there but obviously that's old. I wonder if there is a black round insert there or a full bezel on the front. I am tempted to just find an older used one at this point.

Actually I just answered my own question, there's a plug in the front of the newly "cleaning out of stock of old Transporters" button on the front.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/533725/new-logitech-transporter-se

Sad, I wish they'd keep making these things.

for whatever its worth, I haven't touched the knob on my transporter for over a year and I use it everyday. I control the transporter from either Squeezeplay on my laptop, ipeng on my iphone or ipad, or the CONTROLLER. I never do anything on the Transporter unit itself.

RonM
2011-03-29, 05:16
And also for what it's worth, I have never used the knob from the moment I opened the Transporter box. Not once, except to see what it did and during initial setup.

R.

islandsound
2011-03-29, 11:09
Yup I hear ya. I use the knob on mine minimally really. I guess it's a visual thing to me at this point to have it or not based on the how I'll feel when I have to look at the black circle plug in there on the new ones. It's not only how it sounds but how it looks.

dizzysnakepilot
2011-04-04, 21:09
Oddly, I use the knob all the time, often going for something in "New Music" so it's even faster than starting iPeng on the iPad. But if it wasn't there I'd adjust.

earwaxer9
2011-04-05, 20:03
My Transporter sits on the floor. If it was on a rack I might use the nob.