PDA

View Full Version : Stream falls behind live broadcast

steve781
2011-03-25, 07:21
I've setup a live stream on my LAN. Using a (police/fire) scanner and some software (RadioFeed) I'm able to stream the audio and tags (e.g. "Boston Police" or "Boston Fire") from the scanner to my Squeezeboxes. The configuration uses an audio and data cable (serial) from the scanner to a Windows 7 PC running RadioFeed and SBS 7.3.2. RadioFeed streams the feed on port 5700 as an MP3.

Everything works perfect when I first connect to the stream. The audio is near real time (might be a second or two behind) and matches the tags being displayed. The problem is after being connected to the stream for a period of time (say an hour), the audio will slip further behind (maybe 15 seconds delayed from live) but the tags are still near real time. If I stop the stream and reconnect, I'm back to near real time audio and matching tags.

Is this something that can be corrected? Where is the issue, the RadioFeed software or the Squeezebox client? Or is it just the way streaming works? I'm looking to better understand the issue and maybe even correct it. Thanks,

Steve

andyg
2011-03-25, 07:25
The only way to solve it is to get the metadata from the stream itself, the way almost all internet radio streams work.

steve781
2011-03-25, 07:38
The only way to solve it is to get the metadata from the stream itself, the way almost all internet radio streams work.

Thanks Andy, two questions. First, why does the audio stream fall behind to begin with? Is this how all audio streams behave? When I listen to a radio station feed is it also falling behind over time? Second, if RadioFeed is not passing the tags in the metadata, how is the Squeezebox getting the text? The only thing the SB has is a URL to an MP3 file.

I'm a SW developer myself, but I'm new to streaming audio.

Steve

steve781
2011-03-30, 05:24
Still looking for some answers/suggestions on how to keep the audio near real time and sync the tags. Thanks,

Steve