PDA

View Full Version : Stream music from squeezebox server to smartphone

StuRat
2011-03-18, 08:48
Hi

I am in the market for a new smartphone and would like the ability to stream music on my Smartphone from my Squeezebox server (running on a ReadyNas duo) like I currently do to my Nokia E63.

Either a device running android or windows phone 7 would be good.

Thanks

pippin
2011-03-18, 08:54
iPhone would work :)

StuRat
2011-03-18, 09:03
I guess I could use A Online Radio and then the browser to navigate to the Squeezebox URL on an android device?

vrette
2011-03-18, 09:06
If I understand your question correctly, you can do this with iPeng and an iPhone

http://penguinlovesmusic.de/2011/02/11/coolios-guide-to-remote-playback/

Not sure if they are working on an Android version

copperstate
2011-03-18, 09:42
iPhone would work :)

iPhone + iPeng works great! :)

Edit: I think there is an Android App, too. Not sure if it does playback, though.

pippin
2011-03-18, 10:10
iPhone works great! :)

Edit: I think there is an Android App, too. Not sure if it does playback, though.

Well, iPeng now has Playback on iPhone and there's also a dedicated playback App called SqueezeCast.

On Android there are several remote control Apps, e.g. SqueezeCommander but so far none of them does Playback.

andynormancx
2011-03-18, 10:58
I can highly recommend iPeng+iPhone, streams start pretty much immediately and you have full control over the playback just as if it was a real Squeezebox.

simonjedrake
2011-03-18, 14:37
I can highly recommend iPeng+iPhone, streams start pretty much immediately and you have full control over the playback just as if it was a real Squeezebox.

Cannot go wrong with iPhone/iPeng combination - wins hands down in all areas.

Muele
2011-03-19, 00:26
Try connecting any netradio player to server:9000/stream.mp3. You can now select a device called mozilla-something (or maybe other browsername?)

It will play, but with considerable delay due to the way stream.mp3 buffers on the device.

If you need playback and cannot live with the delay of stream.mp3 there is no other choice than iPhone.

I _think_ playback in Squeezecommander for Android is under development. But it is not there yet.

matka
2011-03-22, 12:23
Hi

I am in the market for a new smartphone and would like the ability to stream music on my Smartphone from my Squeezebox server (running on a ReadyNas duo) like I currently do to my Nokia E63.

Either a device running android or windows phone 7 would be good.

Thanks

I'm using subsonic, it is a free media streamer (although they encourage donation). I'm using it on iPhone but they have clients for Android also. I like the control of users and bit rates on server. I'm using client called iSub (I think I had to pay for it). I organize my music into a directory tree (example classical/Bach JS/Keyboard/Schiff/some album) and subsonic/iSub shows folders as they are on the server. It also buffers played music for you (with control how much space you can use) so you do not download same album twice. 3G data usage adds up quickly. Also, iSub displays cover.jpg. Overall very useful.

samir_munir
2011-07-09, 02:54
iPhone + iPeng works great! :)

Hi,

Seriously, did you get the iphone + ipeng to work? Meaning, that you can connect to your home-located SB-server at stream music to your iphone over a 3GS network?

I have tried, but something is not working. However, I know that i can connect to my SB server from a remote destination using softsqueeze for mac.

what happens when i direct ipeng to connect to my homeserver-adress is that no players pops up?

any solutions?

pippin
2011-07-09, 03:28
Have a look at penguinlovesmusic.com, there's a blog and it has an entry called "Coolio's guide to remote playback". If you follow that, it should work.

bluegaspode
2011-07-09, 04:13

For Android there is SqueezePlayer in the meantime, which from the concept is much like SqueezeCast for iPhone.

So for every device you'll find a solution right now:
iPhone: iPeng
iPad: SqueezePad/iPeng for iPad
Android: SqueezePlayer together with other SqueezeCommander or the Logitech App.

There are two good tutorials about how to setup router and stuff for remote streaming:
the one from pippin:

and the one for SqueezePlayer:
http://www.squeezeplayer.com/2011/05/how-to-connect-via-3g/

both tutorials teach you exactly the same stuff, but with different words :)

samir_munir
2011-07-10, 06:56
For Android there is SqueezePlayer in the meantime, which from the concept is much like SqueezeCast for iPhone.

So for every device you'll find a solution right now:
iPhone: iPeng
iPad: SqueezePad/iPeng for iPad
Android: SqueezePlayer together with other SqueezeCommander or the Logitech App.

There are two good tutorials about how to setup router and stuff for remote streaming:
the one from pippin:

and the one for SqueezePlayer:
http://www.squeezeplayer.com/2011/05/how-to-connect-via-3g/

both tutorials teach you exactly the same stuff, but with different words :)

it is very strange. I can get it to work from a remote WIFI og 3GS if i use the applications squeezecast, squeezeplayer and softsqueeze.

But what I want to get working is the iPenge playback on my iphone from a remote destination.

I followed the instruction as described og the blog. but i does not work. anyone willing to look into my setup?

samir

pippin
2011-07-11, 02:52
If SqueezeCast works, so should iPeng.
Have you made shure you shut down SqueezeCast on the iPhone before starting iPeng (through the Task Bar)?
You are connected to the remote server with iPeng and you can browse your music but you don't see iPeng (your phone) in the list of players? Or does it just not play?