PDA

View Full Version : Firewall problems on Mac after installing 7.5.3

shlea
2011-03-14, 18:39
Hi,

SqueezeCenter will not discover my Squeezebox receiver anymore after installing 7.5.3 (in fact not with 7.5.2 either). I have discovered that if I turn off the firewall on my MacBook Pro (OSX 10.6.6) it works okay.

Can anyone help me with this? I assume that it should be possible to add some program to the exceptions list in the firewall, but I don't know which program or where to find it. SqueezeCenter is not installed as a program as such, but as a System preferences plug-in.

Thanks!

Svein-Helge

shlea
2011-03-15, 02:00
Hi all,

It appears I have found a solution to this. The firewall on my Mac OS X 10.6.6 had blocked a few programs called
Perl5.10.0
krb5kdc
nmbd

I don't know what these programs do, bit I tried unblocking one after the other. The Perl5.10.0 did the magic!

Leaving that one open and the to other ones blocked the Squeezeserver discover and connects to both my SB Touch and Receiver.

Does this help for anyone else?
Is there someone out there who knows what these programs do?

Svein-Helge

copperstate
2011-03-16, 07:45
Hi all,

It appears I have found a solution to this. The firewall on my Mac OS X 10.6.6 had blocked a few programs called
Perl5.10.0
SBS is written mostly in Perl and Perl5.10.0 is thus the process that actually runs the SBS.

krb5kdc

Kerberos version 5 Authentication Service and Key Distribution Center is the part of MacOS X that grants access to certain (e.g. network related) services: "Kerberos 5 is a trusted third-party authentication system. This script starts and stops the server that Kerberos IV and 5 clients need to connect to in order to obtain credentials."

nmbd

It is the server process used by OS X to provide access to your Mac's files via "Windows File Sharing" It may be turned off by disabling it in the Sharing preferences.

shlea
2011-03-16, 09:43
Thanks for very useful information.