PDA

View Full Version : Gil Scott Heron listed b4 Nanci Griffith b4 Headless Chickens b4...

pseud
2011-03-12, 20:35
This is doing my head in!

Can anyone explain the listing rules?

This is a sample:
Fishface
Ella Fitzgerald
fun-da-mental
Gary Clail
Gil Scott Heron
Nanci Griffith
Headless Chickens
The Jimi Hendrix Experience
Hinaki

So I've got Ella Fitzgerald listed by last name (ok), fun-da-mental listed by only name (ok), Gary Clail listed my FIRST name (not ok), Gil Scott Heron listed by FIRST name (not ok), Nanci Griffith listed by last name (ok again), Headless Chooks listed by FIRST name (not ok, again), The JHE listed by - wait for it - MIDDLE name, then Hinaki listed by the only name!!!

I'm just a little bit exasperated by this... I've gone through and checked all the tags against the file names, and there's no swapping between the two.

Is there anyone that can explain the logic of how SbS serves up it's database? I wouldn't mind if it was all 1st names or all last names, but there seems no meaning to what's been given.

The album listing doesn't seem to be similarly confused.

Many thanks,
Morgan.

audiomuze
2011-03-12, 22:57
Short answer - check your tags. Without going into all SBS's behavioral rules around sorting artists, here are some things to check:

- "The" is by default ignored as a sort prefix unless you've removed it from the exclusion list in settings
- artistsort tag takes precedence over artist tag
- albumartist tag takes precedence over artist

aubuti
2011-03-13, 00:59
and to add to audiomuze's advice, note that a single 'incorrect' ARTISTSORT or ALBUMARTISTSORT tag for an artist can mess up _all_ the sorting for that artist. You almost certainly have a rogue ARTISTSORT or ALBUMARTISTSORT tag somewhere for Gary Clail and Gil Scott Heron.

It's not clear to me why you wouldn't want The Jimi Hendrix Experience sorted the way it is now as 'Hendrix', as that seems like the natural place to me (note albumartist precedence over artist), but if you really want it under 'T' or 'J' or even 'E' you can change that via ARTISTSORT or ALBUMARTISTSORT.

pseud
2011-03-13, 03:18
Hi aubuti & audiomuze

Thanks for following up - so, if I'm using EasyTAG
http://easytag.sourceforge.net/
(which seems really good) I'm stuck because it doesn't show a field ARTISTSORT, ALBUMARTISTSORT or albumartist? And, so it's not so good...

Any suggestions of tag editors that'll do the job?
M.

Muggy
2011-03-13, 04:38
mp3Tag is my favourite:

www.mp3tag.de/en

If you're on linux I think it runs under Wine ok.

aubuti
2011-03-13, 08:22
I mostly use mp3tag on Windows and it's great. Despite the name, it works well with FLAC, too. Although mp3tag also runs on Wine-under-Linux, if you are looking for a native Linux app you should check out puddletag, which has a lot of the same capabilities as mp3tag.

Also note that at first glance you may not see the various sort tags in mp3tag. You need to use the function to view extended tags, or customize your mp3tag installation a little. Fortunately either way is very easy to do.

garym
2011-03-13, 11:26
I mostly use mp3tag on Windows and it's great. Despite the name, it works well with FLAC, too. Although mp3tag also runs on Wine-under-Linux, if you are looking for a native Linux app you should check out puddletag, which has a lot of the same capabilities as mp3tag.

Also note that at first glance you may not see the various sort tags in mp3tag. You need to use the function to view extended tags, or customize your mp3tag installation a little. Fortunately either way is very easy to do.

+1 on mp3tag. Just load up the files, select a file, right click, choose "extended tags" and you'll see all the tag fields for that file.

to add fields to your right window view, Right click in the title bar (where it has title, artist, etc.) and choose customize. You can add any field you want here. There's a bit of a learning curve learning the names of fields, and some of the language but it gets easy after you play with it a bit.

audiomuze
2011-03-13, 21:49
Hi aubuti & audiomuze

Thanks for following up - so, if I'm using EasyTAG
http://easytag.sourceforge.net/
(which seems really good) I'm stuck because it doesn't show a field ARTISTSORT, ALBUMARTISTSORT or albumartist? And, so it's not so good...

Any suggestions of tag editors that'll do the job?
M.Well, I'm biased, but if you're running Linux then puddletag's (http://puddletag.sourceforge.net/) the best audio tagger on the planet :)
If you're running Windows then mp3tag's your best bet.

You can view all tags in a file by right clicking on the track and selecting Extended tags or right click on a column header and add columns for artistsort, albumartistsort and albumartist or whatever else you want to inspect/ work with.

pseud
2011-03-14, 03:45
Thanks Folks,
M.