PDA

View Full Version : Failing SB3

scalesr1
2011-03-12, 02:18
Greetings all. I have a variety of players including Slimp3, SB2 and SB3. One of my SB3's 'fell off the wifi' recently and would not re-connect. I have had mixed success in diagnosing the issue and it seems to be getting worse!
Initially i connected it via ethernet and I was able to update the firmware (I have also upgraded to the current server version). Now I find that it will not connect to anything (WiFi or Ethernet), it will not pick up an IP address and it will generally not function as a player.
I can perform a factory reset via the remote and the display seems to be just fine. I have reseated the Wireless card inside the unit but it all looks fairly hopeless.
Is there anything else I could try (like resetting MAC address or similar) before consigning it to the bin?
Regards to all
Richard Scales

Phil Leigh
2011-03-12, 04:16
Greetings all. I have a variety of players including Slimp3, SB2 and SB3. One of my SB3's 'fell off the wifi' recently and would not re-connect. I have had mixed success in diagnosing the issue and it seems to be getting worse!
Initially i connected it via ethernet and I was able to update the firmware (I have also upgraded to the current server version). Now I find that it will not connect to anything (WiFi or Ethernet), it will not pick up an IP address and it will generally not function as a player.
I can perform a factory reset via the remote and the display seems to be just fine. I have reseated the Wireless card inside the unit but it all looks fairly hopeless.
Is there anything else I could try (like resetting MAC address or similar) before consigning it to the bin?
Regards to all
Richard Scales

Did you try it on ethernet with the wi-fi card completely disconnected? - that card may be faulty.

scalesr1
2011-03-12, 08:04
I have removed the WiFi card and powered the SB3 up connected directly to the ethernet network - the wifi options were no longer presenting themselves which is no surprise.
It would not get an IP address from the DHCP server (which is Windows 2003 SBS as it happens) though other devices happily obtain them.

I configured a manual IP address within my IP scheme and it would not connect to the Squeezebox Server, neither could I ping the SB3 at the IP address that I had assigned.

It seems as if the ethernet is failing - curiously in the same way as the WiFi did (OK, not entirely correct as the WiFi would not even connect to the WLAN even though many other devices regularly and repeatedly do so.)

Wondering where to look next.

Additional: It quite happily finds all available wireless networks but will not connect to any of them, even completely open ones. Other SB3, SB2 here connected flawlessly.

ghostrider
2011-03-12, 09:35
Try an xilinx reset. Remove power, hold down the 1 key on the remote while restoring power. Then try to go through network setup.

scalesr1
2011-03-12, 23:40
Sadly this made no difference, performed Xilinx Reset as well as factory resets.
I also tried another form of startup byt holding '2' on powerup which appears to be a factory test mode and interstingly if flashed up a message 'Ethernet appears to be disconnected' even though a live (and tested) ethernet cable was attached.
Whilst on that subject - I noticed '4' and powerup looks like it does a graphics test.

Regrardless, the state of apparent failure remains the same - its as if there is some failure/blockage generally between ethernet (wired or wireless) and the rest of the system - though as mentioned previously - it will detect all available wireless networks and knows whether they are encrypted or not.

scalesr1
2011-03-13, 00:07
After some research I read about MAC address corruption.
I looked at the current settings and at first it appeared that the MAC address was the same as the one printed on the label.

Then I noticed that the first pair was '01' and not '00' as printed.

I changed it to '00' and everything started working, wired and wireless.

An old friend has returned, off to celebrate.

Thanks for all your help guys.

Richard