PDA

View Full Version : SB2 white noise/crash with ogg stream and net contention

dimitris
2011-03-09, 16:30
Tried the "official" forums but didn't have any luck...

Ever since I started regularly streaming an Ogg station on my SB2, I've had the following problem:

Stream: http://www.sofaspace.net/stream.ogg.m3u

SB2 firmware: v132, xilinx update done under same FW version.

Server info:
Version: 7.5.3 - r31792 @ Mon Jan 24 07:13:35 PST 2011
Hostname: squeezemachine
Server IP Address: 10.0.2.15
Server HTTP Port Number: 9000
Operating system: Debian - EN - utf8
Platform Architecture: i686-linux
Perl Version: 5.10.1 - i486-linux-gnu-thread-multi
MySQL Version: 5.1.41-3ubuntu12.10
Total Players Recognized: 1

WLAN: WPA2/CCMP-PSK, signal strength reported in the 90s by the player.

Symptom:
When playing, the player will sometimes start emitting white noise (analog output only used) for a few seconds. It will then restart.

I've already removed, wiped the contacts of, and re-seated the WLAN card inside the player, with no change.

The problem is vastly more likely to occur when there is contention on the network, e.g. a big Debian update running.

NOTE: This contention doesn't have to be on the wireless part of the network. The frequency of the problem increases dramatically - virtually always reproducible - even when it's the wired side saturating the DSL's download capacity.

I've seen references in these forums about the player's CPU getting out of sync with something (DSP?) leading to the same/similar symptoms, but without any root cause ever being identified. To speculate a bit wildly, it sounds like in my case things get triggered out of sync by Ogg packet loss/jitter.

Any ideas/fixes?

Mnyb
2011-03-09, 22:36
If you disable ogg in the file types setting and let the server do the transcoding ?

Ogg especially with low bitrates is problematic for the SB2/3/reciever, I think it's somewhat cpu demanding for the player. So SB2's ogg abilities does not cover all ogg compression rates + some other problems.

dimitris
2011-03-10, 14:02
Thanks for the tip, the stream is working so far. I'll try to stress the upstream network a bit to see if it's "robust".

The weird thing is, I had to force it to transcode to FLAC; if I force Ogg content to transcode to AIFF - raw - then all I get is white noise...