PDA

View Full Version : Perl IDE or NetBeans equivalent



Pat Farrell
2004-05-18, 19:48
From: Dan Sully <daniel (AT) electricrain (DOT) com>
>What benefit are you looking to get out of an IDE? Unfortunately there's
>nothing like IDEA for perl at this point, with the refactoring and whatnot.

I'm looking low end, mostly navigating thru the objects.
Where is this routine, what do the 'my' variables look like, etc.
And pointing to the line with syntax errors, altho I usually can count.

Hardly IDE functionality, more like integrated editing, like
emacs dudes do all the time. But for some reason, emacs and
my brain don't work well together.

Pat

kdf
2004-05-18, 19:53
Quoting Pat Farrell <pfarrell (AT) pfarrell (DOT) com>:

> From: Dan Sully <daniel (AT) electricrain (DOT) com>
> >What benefit are you looking to get out of an IDE? Unfortunately there's
> >nothing like IDEA for perl at this point, with the refactoring and whatnot.
>
> I'm looking low end, mostly navigating thru the objects.
> Where is this routine, what do the 'my' variables look like, etc.
> And pointing to the line with syntax errors, altho I usually can count.
>
> Hardly IDE functionality, more like integrated editing, like
> emacs dudes do all the time. But for some reason, emacs and
> my brain don't work well together.

Dean recommended UltraEdit to me and that's what I use, at least under Windows.
Linux, I use Emacs. Emacs features are well known. UltraEdit understand perl
enough fo syntax colouring and a function list. it doesn't seem to track
variables, but at least you can quickly find a function. it doesn handle
projects well, but doesn't do so well handling diffs.

-kdf

Jack Coates
2004-05-18, 20:29
> Quoting Pat Farrell <pfarrell (AT) pfarrell (DOT) com>:
>
>> From: Dan Sully <daniel (AT) electricrain (DOT) com>
>> >What benefit are you looking to get out of an IDE? Unfortunately
>> there's
>> >nothing like IDEA for perl at this point, with the refactoring and
>> whatnot.
>>
>> I'm looking low end, mostly navigating thru the objects.
>> Where is this routine, what do the 'my' variables look like, etc.
>> And pointing to the line with syntax errors, altho I usually can count.
>>
>> Hardly IDE functionality, more like integrated editing, like
>> emacs dudes do all the time. But for some reason, emacs and
>> my brain don't work well together.
>
> Dean recommended UltraEdit to me and that's what I use, at least under
> Windows.
> Linux, I use Emacs. Emacs features are well known. UltraEdit understand
> perl
> enough fo syntax colouring and a function list. it doesn't seem to track
> variables, but at least you can quickly find a function. it doesn handle
> projects well, but doesn't do so well handling diffs.
>

Haven't done development on Slimserver yet (damn that day job!) but when I
do development, I use Vim with the taglist plugin. http://www.vim.org/ and
http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=273. Vim's syntax
highlighting is excellent for most known languages, and taglist gives you
a handy hyperlink list of functions on one side of the window. This is
also a nicely cross-platform solution :-) Emacs is as well, as I'm sure
you know...
--
Jack At Monkeynoodle.Org:
It's A Scientific Venture...

Dan Sully
2004-05-18, 21:06
* Pat Farrell <pfarrell (AT) pfarrell (DOT) com> shaped the electrons to say...

>From: Dan Sully <daniel (AT) electricrain (DOT) com>
>>What benefit are you looking to get out of an IDE? Unfortunately there's
>>nothing like IDEA for perl at this point, with the refactoring and whatnot.
>
>I'm looking low end, mostly navigating thru the objects.
>Where is this routine, what do the 'my' variables look like, etc.
>And pointing to the line with syntax errors, altho I usually can count.
>
>Hardly IDE functionality, more like integrated editing, like
>emacs dudes do all the time. But for some reason, emacs and
>my brain don't work well together.

Using c/etags in vim will get you the first one.

Grab this plugin for the second:

http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=56

Good information on:

http://www.leonid.maks.net/blog/item/vim_for_perl_developers

-D
--
<iNoah> kernel's original recipe: 11 secret args and switches

Richard Purdie
2004-05-19, 03:04
kdf:
> Dean recommended UltraEdit to me and that's what I use, at least under
Windows.

Funnily enough, I use UltraEdit as well. Not just for perl but for a number
of other languages as well.

> UltraEdit understand perl
> enough fo syntax colouring and a function list. it doesn't seem to track
> variables, but at least you can quickly find a function. it doesn handle
> projects well, but doesn't do so well handling diffs.

It's certainly powerful enough to do the editing I need. For most other
things I use Linux via a console or VNC so the lack of diff handling etc.
isn't really a problem.

--
RP

Roy M. Silvernail
2004-05-19, 04:04
On Wed, 2004-05-19 at 06:04, Richard Purdie wrote:
> kdf:
> > Dean recommended UltraEdit to me and that's what I use, at least under
> Windows.
>
> Funnily enough, I use UltraEdit as well. Not just for perl but for a number
> of other languages as well.

On Windows, I use an older version of CodeWright. It's now under
Borland's wing and unfortunately has bloated beyond what I usually care
for, but it's hard to beat an editor whose macro language is... perl!
(you can also use VBA, but I'm not *that* masochistic) I've tried
UltraEdit and if I didn't have CodeWright around, I'd probably be a
convert.

On Linux, I flip between vi, nano and gedit, but I'm emerging Eclipse
now to check it out.

--
Roy M. Silvernail is roy (AT) rant-central (DOT) com, and you're not
Never Forget: It's Only 1's and 0's!
SpamAssassin->procmail->/dev/null->bliss
http://www.rant-central.com