PDA

View Full Version : "Couldn't find DHCP server" problem hits one SB3 but not the other

t-chok
2011-03-07, 12:42
I have one SB3 running in the family room, no problems, for the past 2 years, and another SB3 running in the kitchen for the past 6 months, also running with no problems. Both are connected wirelessly via an ActionTec MI424-WR router installed by Verizon when we got Fios 2 years ago. About 2 weeks ago, we had 2 brief (less than 1 minute each) power outages. After this power outage, the kitchen SB3 won't work. Instead, during setup it now always gets to a point where it displays a message "Couldn't find DHCP server". The family room SB3 continues to work fine.

I have since done a factory reset multiple times, first to the non-working kitchen SB3, then to both SB3's, then I did a factory reset of the router and both SB3's to rebuild the network from scratch. Same result: Family room SB3 works fine, kitchen SB3 displays the DHCP message.

I don't believe this is a problem with the DHCP server on the router, since the family room SB3 and my laptop encounter no trouble getting the DHCP server to assign an IP address, and when I connect the kitchen SB3 directly (via ethernet cable) to the router, the DHCP server assigns it an IP and it works fine.

Pardon my ignorance on this issue, but is it possible that the power outage occurred just as some type of write was occurring in my kitchen SB3? How could this power outage have affected the DHCP wireless communication for just the one SB3?

Thanks for any help. Here are some details:

SBS: 7.5.3 - r31792
firmware: 132
Windows XP
Router: ActionTec MI424-WR Rev. E (Verizon Fios installed)

Tim

denony
2011-03-07, 14:51
Have you tried to reset (reprogram) Xilinx: press and hold "1", unplug your Squuezebox, press and hold "1", plug it back in.

toby10
2011-03-07, 16:02
Unplug the SB3, unplug the router (do not reset it), plug router back in, wait a couple minutes, then plug SB3 back in.

t-chok
2011-03-07, 22:29
I tried the xilinx ("1") reset to no effect. I previously had also tried the unplugging routine for both the router and SB3 (without factory reset) to no effect. Just tried it again without success.

The SB3 does indicate that it has connected to the server, but then when it goes to obtain an IP address via DHCP it fails with the "Couldn't find DHCP server" error message.

How could the timing of a power outage have affected the DHCP communications this way, and for only 1 of my 2 SB3's?

Would it help to upgrade / re-install the firmware for that SB3? I'm using version 132 now.

Thanks!

Tim

t-chok
2011-03-10, 11:18
I contacted my ISP, and they broke the DHCP leases for all devices connected on my network. I'm not sure if that was something I could have done on my own, but anyway, that fixed the DHCP problem, and after restarting the SB3, the SB3 was able to get an IP address via DHCP.

However, after it told me "setup completed", it then said, "can't connect to server". This seems to be a different problem, and I've seen a few messages on these forums recently about SBS 7.5.3 having this "can't connect to server" problem.

I'm going to try downgrading to SBS 7.5.2 to see if that helps.

Can someone offer help on how to do this? To this point, any updates to SBS that I've ever done have been through automatic SBS updates. To downgrade, what steps do I need to take after I download the Windows executable from downloads.slimdevices.com? I assume I have to uninstall SBS first, then run the new 7.5.2 Windows SBS executable. But what about the firmware for 7.5.2.... how does the firmware for 7.5.3 get removed and the firmware for 7.5.2 get installed in its place?

Thanks!

Tim

Mnyb
2011-03-10, 11:35
I contacted my ISP, and they broke the DHCP leases for all devices connected on my network. I'm not sure if that was something I could have done on my own, but anyway, that fixed the DHCP problem, and after restarting the SB3, the SB3 was able to get an IP address via DHCP.

However, after it told me "setup completed", it then said, "can't connect to server". This seems to be a different problem, and I've seen a few messages on these forums recently about SBS 7.5.3 having this "can't connect to server" problem.

I'm going to try downgrading to SBS 7.5.2 to see if that helps.

Can someone offer help on how to do this? To this point, any updates to SBS that I've ever done have been through automatic SBS updates. To downgrade, what steps do I need to take after I download the Windows executable from downloads.slimdevices.com? I assume I have to uninstall SBS first, then run the new 7.5.2 Windows SBS executable. But what about the firmware for 7.5.2.... how does the firmware for 7.5.3 get removed and the firmware for 7.5.2 get installed in its place?

Thanks!

Tim

Whas your ISP able to do this ? what kind of IP addresses do you have ?
Run ipconfig on the server and check in settings > information > player information

garym
2011-03-10, 12:06
when you install the 7.5.2 SbS and connect your SB to it, the SB will automatically downgrade firmware.

t-chok
2011-03-11, 14:23
The downgrade to 7.5.2 went fine (garym, thanks for the help). I'm getting the same strange behavior with 7.5.2. At first, it connected to the server just fine. I started playing a song via Rhapsody, and then a minute into the song it popped up the same "can't connect to server" message, and eventually the SB3 just turned off on its own.

I wanted to test if it was related to distance from the router, so I brought it back from its normal position in the kitchen (~30 ft away; Wireless Signal Strength 40-50%) to a location about 10 ft away (Wireless Signal Strength > 90%), and I got the same result.

I wonder if this is the same type of problem that others are reporting in the "SB release 7.5.3: Unreliable. Anyone else?" thread in this forum.

Any other ideas for how to troubleshoot & fix this problem?

Thanks a lot!

Tim

MrSinatra
2011-03-12, 11:05
i would try a static ip outside the dhcp range. i setup my sb2 like that long ago and plan to do the same on a SBR. i found it necessary for both and its relatively easy to do on devices with a display.

imo, the slim dhcp implementation sucks; it works for some, but clearly given all the threads in these forums about it, it isn't robust or reliable.

t-chok
2011-03-21, 06:11
The behavior on this thing is real erratic. It now usually -- but not always -- finds the DHCP server and gets an IP address okay, but it can never wirelessly connect to the SBS server, nor can it find mysqueezebox.com.

This weekend I did what I think may be the ultimate test for it. I took both of my SB3's over to a friend's house. I downloaded SBS 7.5.3 onto his PC, and then, one at a time, I factory reset my two SB3's and tried to connect them to his network and SBS. My "family room" SB3, which has been running fine all along, connected without a hitch and was up and running in a flash. My "kitchen" SB3, the one I've been having trouble with, came back with the same problem..... couldn't find the DHCP server.

At this point, I think there is a hardware problem and am going to return it for warranty, unless someone has another idea.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

Tim

rbz5416
2011-03-21, 14:45
Sounds to me as if the outage may have partially killed the SB's wi-fi card. If it's still under warranty then by all means try that route (but don't mention the outage to Logitech).

If the warranty has expired you could prove this by swapping the cards between the SBs.

t-chok
2011-03-22, 06:17
Sinatra: Yes, thanks, I tried the option to go with setting a static IP address. It set that up fine (it responded with "Setup Complete"), but then at the next step it still came back with Unable to connect to server.

I think rbz is right, that the outage and subsequent restart (which likely had some surge to it) damaged something in the wi-fi card. I have this SB3 connected to a new surge protector that I bought at the same time I bought the SB3 (5 months ago), but here's my question: If the power goes out, then obviously the power to the surge protector goes out. How is that surge protector able to protect components connected to it at the instant that electricity is restored and finally comes surging back through?

And related to this, are different manufacturers' surge protectors created differently, so that some will offer better protection in that situation and some won't? The reason I ask is that my other SB3 is connected through a surge protector made by a different manufacturer, and that SB3 is completely fine after the power outage. Or maybe I just got lucky on that one....

rbz5416
2011-03-22, 06:59
Just another thought:

Have you tried the PSU from the working SB on the troublesome one? Could be the PSU is the culprit rather than the Wi-Fi card.

Have you also tried plugging the PSU directly into the mains & bypassing the surge protector?

t-chok
2011-03-22, 07:21
rbz: thanks, yes, I did switch out the power cord from the good unit to the bad one. I did this when trying out the SB3's over at my friend's house. Unfortunately, it didn't help. And yes, I've also been bypassing the surge protector for most of these tests and just plugging directly into the outlet.

And again, it's not having any trouble connecting to my wireless network. It's just that after that, it usually has trouble finding the DHCP server. But even at the times when it either found the DHCP server and got an automatically-assigned IP address or when I had it specify a static IP address outside the DHCP range, it has now always been unable to connect to SBS, and also unable to find mysqueezebox.com. I initially thought it was some squeezebox or router setting, but after endless hours of troubleshooting this, I think it just may be that something in the hardware related to the wi-fi functionality is broken. Thanks again for the help!

Stratmangler
2011-03-22, 07:21
Just another thought:

Have you tried the PSU from the working SB on the troublesome one? Could be the PSU is the culprit rather than the Wi-Fi card.

Have you also tried plugging the PSU directly into the mains & bypassing the surge protector?

+1 for checking the PSU.
Measuring it with a DMM will only tell you the voltage the PSU will output, not the current it can supply.
Try swapping the PSUs and see if the problem shifts

Chris :)

edit - I see I got here a tad too late

Mnyb
2011-03-22, 13:50
Factory reset and try with ethernet, just to see that it is only the wifi.

Also a long shot, sometimes their mac adress can get corrupted.

Check in settings > information > "playername" and scroll down to "mac" this number should be the same as on the sticker under the player.

You can adjust it from the setup menu if it is corrupt.