PDA

View Full Version : AVRO Internet Radio Down?

Squeezed_Rotel
2011-03-06, 06:15
I listen to 3 or 4 AVRO "stations" all the time. Sunday morning (USA Time) in particular.

Today, Sunday morning, I see that most, if not all AVRO offerings are "ICY 401...service unavailable"

Looks like a RNW Classic or Radio Swiss Classic morning for me.

Anyone confirm?

toby10
2011-03-06, 06:23
Yup, it's broke. ;)

Squeezed_Rotel
2011-03-06, 06:29
Yup, it's broke. ;)

Thanks Toby for confirming.

Griffin
2011-03-06, 13:13
AVRO does seem to have problems. AVRO easy listening was out the better part of last week, but it seemed they repaired things friday late since it worked on saturday after I contacted them. They seemed not to be aware of any problems. But sunday morning, all AVRO stations where down. Not good, time for another e-mail I'm afraid...

toby10
2011-03-07, 06:15
AVRO does seem to have problems. AVRO easy listening was out the better part of last week, but it seemed they repaired things friday late since it worked on saturday after I contacted them. They seemed not to be aware of any problems. But sunday morning, all AVRO stations where down. Not good, time for another e-mail I'm afraid...

What amazes me about any institution that streams online is that it seems they themselves are the last to know of their own problem.
I can kind of understand a station like your basic AM/FM station where your internet audience is a fraction of your terrestrial audience not closely monitoring their stream.
But an internet only business? Your entire existence is internet streaming and you do not monitor your own streams? Just seems odd to me.

I'm guessing your basic AM or FM or even TV terrestrial stations do not rely solely on someone calling them to tell them they are off the air? :)

Squeezed_Rotel
2011-03-07, 07:20
As of today, Monday @ 6am EST, the AVRO stations that I listen to were back up and running, but I'm off to work...hopefully next Sunday morning they will still be up and running.

I have to say that AVRO in my experience has always been very reliable. I actually can't remember a similar instance of it being down.

320 & 256 kbps is both rare and delightful.

Griffin
2011-03-08, 12:09
But an internet only business? Your entire existence is internet streaming and you do not monitor your own streams? Just seems odd to me.
AVRO by origin is a terrestrial radio station :D.

It is one of the oldest Dutch radio stations and it still provides TV and radio as part of the Dutch public service broadcasting organization.

Note: you can't compare the Dutch public system with anything in the world I think. We have three public TV- and eight or so public radio stations (and a number of commercial stations, but that's besides the point). These public stations provide programs delivered by individual organizations like the AVRO. Check wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nederlandse_Publieke_Omroep) for everything you ever wanted to know on the issue and than some.

ghostrider
2011-03-08, 12:44

Does anyone else think that the AVRO stations came back extremely "hot"? The easy listening stream damn near pegs the VU meters on my Transporter.

toby10
2011-03-08, 12:47
AVRO by origin is a terrestrial radio station :D.

It is one of the oldest Dutch radio stations and it still provides TV and radio as part of the Dutch public service broadcasting organization.

Note: you can't compare the Dutch public system with anything in the world I think. We have three public TV- and eight or so public radio stations (and a number of commercial stations, but that's besides the point). These public stations provide programs delivered by individual organizations like the AVRO. Check wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nederlandse_Publieke_Omroep) for everything you ever wanted to know on the issue and than some.

Thanks Griffin, I did not know that. :)