PDA

View Full Version : Can SB sort albums by release date?

stevied123
2011-03-01, 07:24
Hello all :)

My SB devices sort albums by an artist by year, but then alphabetically (that is, all 1983 albums alphabetically, then 1984 alphabetically etc.). Is there some settings adjustment I can make so that they are sorted completely by date (as long as I've tagged with day/month)?

Many thanks in advance
Steve

JJZolx
2011-03-01, 19:13
My SB devices sort albums by an artist by year, but then alphabetically (that is, all 1983 albums alphabetically, then 1984 alphabetically etc.). Is there some settings adjustment I can make so that they are sorted completely by date (as long as I've tagged with day/month)?

The server stores only the year for dates, so no.

stevied123
2011-03-02, 06:19
Really? Then why does it have the options under 'Interface' for long and short date formats (DD/MM/YYYY etc.)? Not saying that you're wrong, just seems rather odd to me if that's the case.

garym
2011-03-02, 06:45
Really? Then why does it have the options under 'Interface' for long and short date formats (DD/MM/YYYY etc.)? Not saying that you're wrong, just seems rather odd to me if that's the case.

Aren't the long and short date formats options related to the screensaver that shows the current date and/or time?

aubuti
2011-03-02, 06:59
garym is correct that those are SB clock formats, not formats for the date/year tag.

You can probably achieve what you want by creating an ALBUMSORT and/or ARTISTSORT tag (depending on which browsing behavior you want to change) that combines the different tag elements so that SBS sorts them the way you want. It is easy to construct such tags using mp3tag. So, for example, your ALBUMSORT tag would be composed of
ARTIST + YEAR + MONTH + ALBUM

or if you are already using ARTISTSORT to deal with (lastname, firstname) sorting, it would be
ARTISTSORT + YEAR + MONTH + ALBUM

stevied123
2011-03-02, 07:10
Thanks for all the replies, I'll take a look at that suggestion as it's something I really want to integrate.