PDA

View Full Version : AlienBBC and Sox

Boris Yakel
2004-09-15, 23:17
Hi all,

I am running SlimServer on a Pentium2 233MHz that has debian linux on it. When I ran AlienBBC plugins in my Squeezebox, it seem that it uses 100% of my Processing power and pause every 2 minutes. From the "transcoder_proxy.pl" file it is noted that lame encoder is used to resample the stream only. I was wondering if is possible to use sox to resample the alienbbc stream without using lame to resample it and convert it to MP3.

Please let me know if it possible can someone please guide me on how to do it.

thanks,
Yakel

Craig Eales
2004-09-16, 06:12
Boris,

I just had a go at switching lame to sox for the resampling, and it is
not as simple as I naively though it would be.

I owe Jules some code changes already so I will try and have a better
look at this at the weekend.

If you are getting a couple of mins between pauses then it appears you
very nearly have enough CPU.

As a short term fix you could try changing line 15 in transcoder_proxy.pl from

my $mp3_encoder = "/usr/local/bin/lame -q 7 --resample 44100 -S";

to

my $mp3_encoder = "/usr/local/bin/lame -q 9 --resample 44100 -S";

that nearly halves the CPU usage for me.

Craig

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 02:17:02 -0400 (EDT), Boris Yakel <yakel (AT) excite (DOT) com> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> I am running SlimServer on a Pentium2 233MHz that has debian linux on it. When I ran AlienBBC plugins in my Squeezebox, it seem that it uses 100% of my Processing power and pause every 2 minutes. From the "transcoder_proxy.pl" file it is noted that lame encoder is used to resample the stream only. I was wondering if is possible to use sox to resample the alienbbc stream without using lame to resample it and convert it to MP3.
>
> Please let me know if it possible can someone please guide me on how to do it.
>
> thanks,
> Yakel
>
>