PDA

View Full Version : SoftSquueeze

ovonrein
2011-02-26, 09:54
I have not kept up to date with the more recent developments on SBS (which you should really take as a compliment, since I was just happy with the existing functionality). Recently, I was forced to upgrade to 7.5.3 and since that time, my SoftSqueeze stutters during playback. I have a hunch that SoftSqueeze may not be the recommended way of listening to your SBS on the PC anymore. What's the recommended way today? Thanks.

bpa
2011-02-26, 10:15
Softsqueeze should keep on working - I suspect stuttering is a server issue unless you just upgraded from 7.3.x.

Alternatives are Squeezeplay and squeezeslave. Each have advantages and disadvantages depending on the host PC and what you need. I suspect Squeezeplay is the alternative that might suit you (i.e player with display).

ovonrein
2011-03-01, 02:12
Thanks for this. I investigated some more and it was my firewall objecting to some upgraded component. So SoftSqueeze is well again.

I did look at SoftPlay once before. It is some App for a controller I do not have. I got the impression at the time that there is supposed to be some s/w emulator for that controller for the PC, and that perhaps the idea would be to run that and have the App on that. I did not invest a lot of time and could not understand the components that might be required.

A more relevant question is perhaps this: when I am sitting at my computer (to listen to SoftSqueeze), I am never too far away from my browser. And I often use my browser anyway to select music for my SoftSqueeze to play. Is there no way that the SBS browser interface could play the music via the browser, rather than a separate component (like SoftSqueeze or SqueezePlay)?

That would also do away with the less-than-user-friendly notion of the various soft players showing up on every user's browser, when mostly, really, users are just interested in controlling their own player.

bpa
2011-03-01, 02:59
I did look at SoftPlay once before. It is some App for a controller I do not have. I got the impression at the time that there is supposed to be some s/w emulator for that controller for the PC, and that perhaps the idea would be to run that and have the App on that. I did not invest a lot of time and could not understand the components that might be required.

There is a Squeezeplay (not SoftPlay_) for PC. It behaves just like Touch and can play through PC - if you have chosen to control the PC player. As it does not have native WMA decoders - if your SBS server is not WIndows mbased you will need additiona s/w to enable WMA playerback.

A more relevant question is perhaps this: when I am sitting at my computer (to listen to SoftSqueeze), I am never too far away from my browser. And I often use my browser anyway to select music for my SoftSqueeze to play. Is there no way that the SBS browser interface could play the music via the browser, rather than a separate component (like SoftSqueeze or SqueezePlay)?

That would also do away with the less-than-user-friendly notion of the various soft players showing up on every user's browser, when mostly, really, users are just interested in controlling their own player.

You could use stream.mp3 but it would still show up as a player on SBS to all users. You cannot have a player that is not shown as a player. It is a characteristic of SBS that every player can be monitored and controlled from anywhere.