PDA

View Full Version : Adding a rj45 jack to a wifi-only SB1?

pjheslin
2011-02-22, 19:31
I have a very old Squeezebox version 1 which only has WiFi connectivity -- no wired Ethernet. I had to choose either wired Ethernet or WiFi and I chose the latter. Because it is WEP only I have been running a separate network to serve this Squeezebox (also a wired Slimp3 via WiFi bridge).

I want to get rid of that extra WiFi network and use the Homeplug network I already have. The SB1 has an opening for an RJ45 jack in the back, but no jack and the opening has been blocked up. Is there some soldering I could do to add a wired Ethernet connection?

Thanks!

Peter

pski
2011-02-22, 22:36
I have a very old Squeezebox version 1 which only has WiFi connectivity -- no wired Ethernet. I had to choose either wired Ethernet or WiFi and I chose the latter. Because it is WEP only I have been running a separate network to serve this Squeezebox (also a wired Slimp3 via WiFi bridge).

I want to get rid of that extra WiFi network and use the Homeplug network I already have. The SB1 has an opening for an RJ45 jack in the back, but no jack and the opening has been blocked up. Is there some soldering I could do to add a wired Ethernet connection?

Thanks!

Peter

Hi Peter,

Welcome to the fun. Please consider new hardware (but of course, someone else might have a solution.)

p

Skinny
2011-02-23, 02:31
I must agree with pski. Even if you were able to solder on an ethernet jack, I'd be surprised if the actual ethernet controller was present. You're likely to find an empty space on the PCB.

I hear the Touch is really nice .. ;)

-Skinny

pjheslin
2011-02-23, 04:08
Yes, I know it's a long shot, but I am cheap. In fact, I didn't even pay for this old Squeezebox -- it was a gift from Slim Devices as a thank you for writing the first Shoutcast browser plugin. So I really shouldn't mind having to throw it away -- but something just bothers me about junking still-functioning hardware.

Just looked at the price of the Touch on Amazon and it's cheaper than I thought. I may get one -- but even if I do, I'd still like to get this old SB1 working to put it in the kids' bedroom.

Peter