PDA

View Full Version : Can Harmony One control Squeezebox

mikeswingler
2011-02-22, 10:23
I notice several of you have got Harmony One. Is there a way that it can control an SB3.

Phil Leigh
2011-02-22, 10:30
I notice several of you have got Harmony One. Is there a way that it can control an SB3.

yes - no problem at all

Ikabob
2011-02-22, 10:47
so, what is the difference between the Harmony One and the Controller?

Phil Leigh
2011-02-22, 10:58
so, what is the difference between the Harmony One and the Controller?

Well the Harmony One is for controlling multiple devices, mine handles Touch, Pre-amp, TV, Satellite Box, DVD and HDMI switchbox. It's and infra-red learning remote, whereas the Controller is a wi-fi device for Squeezeboxes.

Ikabob
2011-02-22, 13:21
Thank you. I would lean toward the wifi Controller myself. I like the fact that I do not have to be within eye-shot of the device. Actually, I use the ipeng which to me works great.

brucegrr
2011-02-22, 14:14
Thank you. I would lean toward the wifi Controller myself. I like the fact that I do not have to be within eye-shot of the device. Actually, I use the ipeng which to me works great.

I use a Harmony One, works great with the Squeezebox.

That said I use ipeng too and IF ipeng was on an inexpensive touch screen that would certainly seal the deal for me. But, it is on an iPad and using the iPad just as a remote is an expensive proposition,

mikeswingler
2011-02-23, 08:42
How do you do it then?
I have a Harmony One but it only seems to work using the desingated buttons like the Squeezebox Classic remote, is that what you mean? or can it also work like ipeng does on the ipod touch and show navigation on the screen.
I also have ipod touch but am not very enthusiastic about it as a remote. It doesn't stay charged up very long and ipeng does not seem to work very easily with Spotify. Docking it is much less convenient than the Harmony.

Phil Leigh
2011-02-23, 08:55
How do you do it then?
I have a Harmony One but it only seems to work using the desingated buttons like the Squeezebox Classic remote, is that what you mean? or can it also work like ipeng does on the ipod touch and show navigation on the screen.
I also have ipod touch but am not very enthusiastic about it as a remote. It doesn't stay charged up very long and ipeng does not seem to work very easily with Spotify. Docking it is much less convenient than the Harmony.

Yes it works just like the classic (IR) remote!

The Harmony 1 screen is just a dumb touch screen - no dynamic feedback, it just displays (fixed) buttons you can press that perform IR commands or macros.

If you want navigation/interaction, get ipeng or similar!

eganders
2011-02-23, 09:45
The Harmony is a one way device like a TV remote. It sends out an instruction, but has no way of knowing what happened, or the current state of things.

The Squeezebox Controller, and iPeng on your iPhone or iTouch, and similar for Android, are fully two way devices that interact with your Squeeze products. They can know what song is playing, what station you're listening to, how much time is left, let you pick the album to play, etc.

mikeswingler
2011-02-23, 09:53
Thanks for your replies. Confirms what I thought, but I wondered if I was missing something.