PDA

View Full Version : Transporter Fixed Volume Question

CFoote
2011-02-17, 15:35
Hello,

I recently upgraded to a Transporter from a SB3, and am really enjoying the improved sound quality.

I am running the Transporter into my Krell HTS 7.1 via balanced inputs.

I have noticed that the Transporter sounds a bit better with the volume 95% of the way up vs. having the volume fixed (i.e. 100%).

Am I losing any sound quality by introducing the adjustable volume into the unit?

Thanks,

Chris

gizek
2011-02-17, 17:20
There are numerous posts regarding your question.
In theory as long as you don't go below 75% of the volume you're fine.
Some people like sound at fixed 100%, some not, others prefer the flexibility of the volume adjustment. It is a matter of your taste and the preference. Start enjoying the music and find in your system what's best because you may not like what others do. If 95% is what you like, it's perfect !

SuperQ
2011-02-17, 17:55
Hello,

I recently upgraded to a Transporter from a SB3, and am really enjoying the improved sound quality.

I am running the Transporter into my Krell HTS 7.1 via balanced inputs.

I have noticed that the Transporter sounds a bit better with the volume 95% of the way up vs. having the volume fixed (i.e. 100%).

Am I losing any sound quality by introducing the adjustable volume into the unit?

Thanks,

Chris

It's possible the TP's output is too much for your Krell. Personally I keep mine at 90% in order for tracks with replay gain +dB to be boosted a bit. (Volume -2dB = -5dB Base volume + 3dB replaygain boost)

I think that's how the squeezeboxes work out the math for gain adjustments.

michel
2011-02-18, 05:05
As the transporter volume control is done in 24 bit you a perfectly fine to turn it down.
I enjoy my TP as preamp and it sounds perfect even at -45db.