PDA

View Full Version : How to disable WOL from squeezebox?

bulletmark
2011-02-12, 18:20
I want to inhibit my 2 squeezebox's from waking up my PC just because somebody in my house presses the SB power button. NOTE - I don't want to disable WOL on my PC explicitly because I use it frequently (via a WOL client on my iphone) but I just don't want the SB's to do it.

As far as I can tell, there is no configuration setting to stop this?

Can Logitech please consider adding an option?

pski
2011-02-13, 20:41
I want to inhibit my 2 squeezebox's from waking up my PC just because somebody in my house presses the SB power button. NOTE - I don't want to disable WOL on my PC explicitly because I use it frequently (via a WOL client on my iphone) but I just don't want the SB's to do it.

As far as I can tell, there is no configuration setting to stop this?

Can Logitech please consider adding an option?

As a long time developer: It might be easier to train somebody

As a long time developer: Why is this important?

bulletmark
2011-02-13, 20:44
I want to stop my kids turning on my PC just because they want to listen to internet radio.

As another long time developer: Why are you questioning a reasonable user request?

pfarrell
2011-02-13, 21:03
On 02/13/2011 10:44 PM, bulletmark wrote:
> As another long time developer: Why are you questioning a reasonable
> user request?

Silly rabbit, you don't let developers decide such questions, that is
what product management is for.

--
Pat Farrell
http://www.pfarrell.com/

Mnyb
2011-02-13, 21:20
Maybe putting them on a different network or subnet ? Any old router leftover.
Maybe some portforwarding or other nat tricks have to be done to make it find the server, but the wol signal would traverse to the other net.

People with more complicated home networks usually complains that wol does not work , maybe it can be explioted to your benefit.

I have not tried myself so i have direct ezperience on how to do it.

bulletmark
2011-02-13, 21:42
Maybe putting them on a different network or subnet ? Any old router leftover.
There is no easy way for me to block the WOL packets in my (typical) home network. It would be a hell of a lot easier if I could just turn this "feature" off on each SB. And this seems a very reasonable user request I think.

Please it add to your list Mr. Logitech. :)

gharris999
2011-02-13, 22:39
There is no easy way for me to block the WOL packets in my (typical) home network. It would be a hell of a lot easier if I could just turn this "feature" off on each SB. And this seems a very reasonable user request I think.

Please it add to your list Mr. Logitech. :)

You should file an enhancement request at bugs.slimdevices.com.

bulletmark
2011-02-13, 23:04
You should file an enhancement request at bugs.slimdevices.com.
That is a public bugtracker. You must use your email address to register an account but that address then becomes publically displayed and thus open to all sorts of spam etc. I am not going to do that, or open a bogus email account somewhere, just to restate the information I have already posted here to Logitech.

Mnyb
2011-02-14, 00:26
That is a public bugtracker. You must use your email address to register an account but that address then becomes publically displayed and thus open to all sorts of spam etc. I am not going to do that, or open a bogus email account somewhere, just to restate the information I have already posted here to Logitech.

This forum is hosted by logitech but not read by them officially, there another forum at logitechs own site or you could mail support about it.

I have not noticed any spam related problem being a member of the bug-tracker.

besides the devs have stated that the old products are not going to get any new firmware features added ( as this can not be fixed at the server ).

ghostrider
2011-02-14, 06:05
I want to stop my kids turning on my PC just because they want to listen to internet radio.

Option 1 - Switch to mysb.com when you are finished using the SB.

Option 2 - Tell the kids not to touch the SB.

Seems simple enough to me. Not a Logitech problem.

aubuti
2011-02-14, 06:27
Re Option 1, the ServerPowerControl plugin makes this extra easy -- you can set it to switch selected players (eg, the ones the kids use) to mysb.com and suspend/hibernate/shutdown the server after X minutes no activity from SBs.

gharris999
2011-02-16, 11:04
Yes, SrvrPowerCtrl can automatically push Squeezeboxes to mysb.com. But please be aware that because of bug 15396 ( http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=15396 ), SrvrPowerCtrl currently cannot automatically fetch SBTouches or SBRadios or SBControllers back from mysb.com.

Please vote for this bug. This feature of SrvrPowerCtrl has been broken for SqueezePlay based hardware ever since the release of SBS 7.4.

Phil Leigh
2011-02-17, 12:53

Can't say I've ever received any spam as a result of this in the last 6 years ... Anyway, if you don't log it there nothing will EVER happen. Even if you do log it there, it is very unlikely to happen as it so niche.