PDA

View Full Version : [ANNOUNCE] Playback comes to iPeng

pippin
2011-02-08, 01:42
Playback Comes to iPeng
Here’s the first new release in 2011 and it brings you a long-awaited functionality for iPeng: Playback.

How Does it Work?
iPeng Playback will make your iOS device show up on a Squeezebox Server like any other Squeezebox Player and you control it just like that, too.

What Does it Support
iPeng Playback supports Squeezebox Server versions 7.3 and newer (previous versions back to 7.0 might work but are untested).

It plays the following file formats natively (that means: on the device itself):
• MP3
• AAC
• FLAC*)
• ALAC*)

Other formats can be used if your server supports transcoding and can encode them to FLAC. This depends on the available processing power and the file format involved.

*) Cellular Network Operation
When you use iPeng playback outside a WiFi network, over the cellular network, the “lossless” formats FLAC and ALAC will not be available to limit the bandwidth requirements. In this case, your server will have to support transcoding to MP3, which generally requires more processing power than FLAC encoding and you will have to have the necessary encoding software installed.

What are the Limitations?
iPeng Playback does NOT work directly with MySqueezebox.com.

MySqueezebox.com is a service offered and run by Logitech in support of their own hardware and Logitech had to get approval from all of their content partners supported by it to use their services. This does not cover use on iOS so it’s not possible for us right now to use that service.
Also, I don’t believe this will be a big limitation since most of the services available through MySqueezebox.com can already be used through existing radio Apps for iOS or by the respective iOS Apps that these services provide themselves.

I believe the biggest value of this feature lies in the capability to use your own library on the iOS device without having to sync it to the device.

Do I Have to Pay for Playback?
If you own only one iPeng version: yes.

Providing this capability along with continuing development of iPeng’s users interfaces and other functionalities (there’s a lot more exciting stuff coming up in 2011!) simply is too much work to be ever done for free.

In this particular case I used an implementation by James Fearon, who’s done all of the audio stuff and of course he wants to be rewarded for his hard work, too. Especially given that this will actually compete with his own App. I definitely can’t afford to pay him for all the users who have already purchased iPeng in the past, so this feature is only available as an “In App Purchase”.

Get Playback for Free on iPad if You Own iPeng for iPhone and for iPad
There’s one exception: Those users who bought both the iPhone and the iPad version of iPeng can get the playback feature for free on iPad. It technically also works to transfer this to iPad if you follow the process below but be warned: it's a bit awkward.

I regard this as a little “kickback” to true customers. As I’ve written before, I would have loved to be able to give discounts to those who purchase both Apps but due to the structure of the App Store I can’t do that and I also could not afford to make the iPad version a completely free update. So this is how I want to give you a little delayed discount.

How do you get it?

1. Install both Apps (iPeng for iPhone and iPeng for iPad) on your iPad. If you have not used iPeng for iPhone on your iPad: As long as you are using the same iTunes account as for your original purchase on iPhone or iPod, downloading it again on the iPad will be free; you can generally use App Store purchases on several devices. This is also true for In App Purchases (for the same App).
2. Start iPeng for iPad and go to “Settings->Enable Playback->You own both iPeng for iPad and iPeng for iPhone? Get Playback for free!”.
3. Press “Create Code”. This will create a voucher code that is valid in the OTHER App. Note: this code will only be valid for a limited time but you can create a new one at any time.
4. When the code shows up in the entry field at the top of the page, “hold” the code text for a second and release to get the popup menu, then select “Select” and “Copy” to copy the code to the clipboard.
5. Leave the App and start the OTHER iPeng App (iPeng for iPhone) on the iPad. Go to the same menu and do the “hold” in the empty text field, then select “Paste” from the popup menu.
6. Now press “Validate Code” and the playback feature will be enabled. Enabling the feature in one App will enable it for both Apps on that device.
7. Restart iPeng for iPad (the one where you generated the code). You need to "really" restart it, leaving to the home screen is not enough under iOS 4. You quit an App under iOS 4 by doubleclicking the "home" button on the iPad until the task bar shows up; then "hold" the App icon until it wobbles and press the red "-". Then restart the App.
8. Back Up your App Data with iTunes. We don’t guarantee that this offer will be available in future versions of iPeng but once enabled, Playback will stay activated.
9. If you want to use the feature on other iOS devices, too, you need to first backup your App data on the iPad by synchronizing it with iTunes. Then you have to restore your other iOS devices using the backup you created from your iPad. This will work but you will have to re-install Apps that are different to the ones on your iPad and you will lose Music, Videos and other content stored on the second device in the process. I know this is complicated but we currently don’t have a different idea about how to solve it; the App Store only restores purchases that actually have been done through it.

It's now on the App Store and as usual: Have Fun With iPeng!

kesey
2011-02-08, 02:21
Well done Coolio, you've put a lot of effort into chasing pippin around the room to get Playback for iPeng up and running:-) I'm looking forward to using it.

Gazjam
2011-02-08, 02:31
Hi Pippin,
Playback is a killer feature - well done!

pippin
2011-02-08, 02:42
Hi Pippin,
Playback is a killer feature - well done!

I use Ipeng on my Touch though and dont own an Ipad.
How do I get playback on my Ipod Touch only?

thanks.

Update iPeng to 1.3 and then you can purchase it through the "Settings->Enable Playback" menu option.
It's currently being rolled out on the App Store so might not yet be available in all countries (although I do already see it in Germany which is usually rather late) but will show up sometimes today.

It works like all App Store App purchases: If you buy it once you can later restore it on any other device (i.e. re-purchase it for free).
BUT: It's bound to the App you purchased it with so you can not restore the iPeng for iPhone purchase in iPeng for iPad. But then, you can get it for free if you own both Apps anyway :)

chill
2011-02-08, 02:55
Hi Pippin

This is fantastic - it's a feature I've been looking forward to for a long time.

I'm quite happy to pay the additional £2.99 for this on my iPhone, and I expect this is the best way to do it in my case, because the iPad version that I've bought was a gift purchase for my wife's iPad. But can you just clarify - if I start the iPad version on my wife's iPad, create the voucher code and then enter the voucher code in my iPhone version will that work? I suspect not because our iPad version is associated with my wife's iTunes account, even though the funds for the iTunes gift purchase came from mine. Assuming this wouldn't work, would I then have to pay another £2.99 to get playback on the iPad version as well?

pippin
2011-02-08, 03:00
Hi Pippin

This is fantastic - it's a feature I've been looking forward to for a long time.

I'm quite happy to pay the additional £2.99 for this on my iPhone, and I expect this is the best way to do it in my case, because the iPad version that I've bought was a gift purchase for my wife's iPad. But can you just clarify - if I start the iPad version on my wife's iPad, create the voucher code and then enter the voucher code in my iPhone version will that work? I suspect not because our iPad version is associated with my wife's iTunes account, even though the funds for the iTunes gift purchase came from mine. Assuming this wouldn't work, would I then have to pay another £2.99 to get playback on the iPad version as well?

Both Apps have to run on the same device. If they do, this will work, if they don't it will not.
Sorry, but iTunes purchases are always bound to the account, that's something I can't get out of and my mechanism only works on the same device as I can't access the iTunes account directly.
It's also not possible to sell one in-app-purchase from two Apps.

I'm also not perfectly happy with it but it's a result of the "keep it simple" approach of the App Store which DOES have it's benefits as well.

Gazjam
2011-02-08, 03:07
have a problem with the new version?

I updated it via appstore to V1.3 through my Touch and it constantly crashed back to the home screen.
Did a hard reset - same thing, got as far as the splash screen (without the christmas hat!) then crashed.
I uninstalled IPENG, then reinstalled but the problem still exists.
It DOES get a bit further to the "welcome" screen...but then it crashes again.
Any ideas Pippin?

For info: Ipod Touch running OS 4.2.1 (8C148) on an Ipod Touch 2G MB525BT

Also,
I find my Ipod very slow with OS4 (sorry Steve Jobs Im NOT upgrading!)and wish to go back to IOS3 which runs faster with my older hardware.
Will this be a problem with the new update on older firmware Pippin?

thanks.

chill
2011-02-08, 03:08
OK, understood. £2.99 is a small price to pay for this feature. I'm happy to avoid all the iTunes shenanigans anyway!

pippin
2011-02-08, 03:46
SHIT!!!

Looks like the FLAC library is not compiled for arm6, this is what's causing the crash on all iPod touch 1G, 2G, iPhone 1 and 3G devices.
I'll try to fasttrack an update with Apple.

This is kind of a messy thing: You can't test the App Store builds because they require an Apple signature to run and in all my other build settings this was OK.
What good is the damn App Store review process if - after almost two weeks - they don't even find basic incompatibilities like that.

Gazjam
2011-02-08, 04:17
thanks Pippin.
(and sorry! :))

onionjack
2011-02-08, 04:27
Another victim of the update:-( Please can you also include in your ignore list the 8GB - 3rd Generation iPod touch (which is functionally identical to the 2nd generation).

pippin
2011-02-08, 04:31
thanks Pippin.
(and sorry! :))

Not your fault, you are the one who's got the annoyance.
It's my fault but I hate that it's
a) so hard to find and
b) so hard to change since I can't just fix it.

Apple installed that review process to assure quality but in cases like this it just has the opposite effect: They did not test it for this, I could not before submission and now I have to re-submit it to them for testing to get the problem fixed although it's something I can do _here_ in 5 minutes.

But at least they do have a fast-track approval process for cases like this, let's see how fast it is. The one time I used it before they approved within 24h.

pippin
2011-02-08, 04:32
Another victim of the update:-( Please can you also include in your ignore list the 8GB - 3rd Generation iPod touch (which is functionally identical to the 2nd generation).

Are you sure???? I tested it on that one this morning and it did work then.
iTouch 3G supports the arm7 command set.

onionjack
2011-02-08, 04:49
Absolutely, I just had to reinstall the last version.

To clarify - the 8GB (and only the 8GB) iPod Touch is functionally identical to the 2nd generation.

pippin
2011-02-08, 04:53
Absolutely, I just had to reinstall the last version.

To clarify - the 8GB (and only the 8GB) iPod Touch is functionally identical to the 2nd generation.

Yes, the 8GB iTouch _IS_ the second generation. Only 32GB and 64GB models are 3rd generation ones. They use a different processor.

onionjack
2011-02-08, 05:09
Yes, the 8GB iTouch _IS_ the second generation. Only 32GB and 64GB models are 3rd generation ones. They use a different processor.

Yes, but the problem is that it was sold as a 3rd Generation Touch - so please can you also include it in your ignore list.

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/reviews/index.cfm?reviewId=3202607
http://www.play.com/Electronics/Electronics/4-/11740214/Apple-8GB-iPod-Touch-3rd-Gen/Product.html

Gazjam
2011-02-08, 05:12
Not your fault, you are the one who's got the annoyance.
It's my fault but I hate that it's
a) so hard to find and
b) so hard to change since I can't just fix it.

Apple installed that review process to assure quality but in cases like this it just has the opposite effect: They did not test it for this, I could not before submission and now I have to re-submit it to them for testing to get the problem fixed although it's something I can do _here_ in 5 minutes.

But at least they do have a fast-track approval process for cases like this, let's see how fast it is. The one time I used it before they approved within 24h.

Understood.
Thanks for your efforts. Having playback is well worth waiting for and I'm sure you'll fix it through as soon as you can.

just a glitch ;)

PietB
2011-02-08, 06:44
understood.
Thanks for your efforts. Having playback is well worth waiting for and i'm sure you'll fix it through as soon as you can.

Just a glitch ;)
+1

Jeff Flowerday
2011-02-08, 07:00
So to get free playback in iPeng on my iPhone, I have to restore the iPad backup to my iPhone?

This doesn't sound quite right to me. I'm a little concerned it's going to mess with settings that I may or may not have different on the devices.

pippin
2011-02-08, 07:10
So to get free playback in iPeng on my iPhone, I have to restore the iPad backup to my iPhone?

This doesn't sound quite right to me. I'm a little concerned it's going to mess with settings that I may or may not have different on the devices.

It works, I have tried it. But it will remove all Apps that are different.

It doesn't sound right to me either yet I haven't found a different way.
The only other solution I came up with was to set up an online service an require registration with it. For all users. I did not want to do _that_.

maggior
2011-02-08, 07:15
Hey Pippin -

I saw this update pop up on my iPod Touch this morning and couldn't resist grabbing the update right then and there. When I saw that playback was a separate purchase, of course I had to do that right then and there too :-).

I just played about 1 minute of FLAC on it and it seemed to work great!

I'll verify this for myself later, but is the player gapless (I hope so)? If so, is it gapless for all formats? I'm especially interested in FLAC and LAME encoded mp3.

Thanks for a great update! I hope you can work through your glitch with the earlier versions of the iPod Touch quickly.

Rich

pippin
2011-02-08, 07:18
I'll verify this for myself later, but is the player gapless (I hope so)? If so, is it gapless for all formats? I'm especially interested in FLAC and LAME encoded mp3.

No, not yet. Will come.

Thanks for a great update! I hope you can work through your glitch with the earlier versions of the iPod Touch quickly.

Well, it's a pure build issue. New release is on the way, now have to get priority for it...

Jeff Flowerday
2011-02-08, 07:25
It works, I have tried it. But it will remove all Apps that are different.

It doesn't sound right to me either yet I haven't found a different way.
The only other solution I came up with was to set up an online service an require registration with it. For all users. I did not want to do _that_.

Yah, I don't want it removing apps that are different. I'd rather pay the $5 and know that iTunes will take care of it on my phone. iPad I don't care about as much.

maggior
2011-02-08, 07:25

No, not yet. Will come.

Oh, OK. I'll look for a future update to support gapless playback. I hope it is a priority. For media players in general, this always seems to be a feature that is put off. In the meantime, if I'm listening to something where it really matters I'll just continue to use squeezecast.

Out of curiosity, who is James Fearon and which app does he author?

FCLymond
2011-02-08, 07:42
Thanks for this! I'll happily pay extra despite having both iPad and iPhone!

I can confirm, however that the new version crashes my 1G iTouch. If that were to work, my ideal use case would be a reality!

Very well done, congrats.

pippin
2011-02-08, 08:09
Out of curiosity, who is James Fearon and which app does he author?

He's the author of Squeezy.

adekka
2011-02-08, 12:18
Hi Pippin.

just made a bad mistake.. instead of creating the code on the iphone app, I did it on the ipad app.. now I enabled the iphone version on my ipad. How can I undo this and get the ipad version working with playback?

thx

Jeff Flowerday
2011-02-08, 12:46
Hi Pippin.

just made a bad mistake.. instead of creating the code on the iphone app, I did it on the ipad app.. now I enabled the iphone version on my ipad. How can I undo this and get the ipad version working with playback?

thx

Close the ipad app down and restart it, it should be enabled in both.

SteveEast
2011-02-08, 14:10
Yes, but the problem is that it was sold as a 3rd Generation Touch - so please can you also include it in your ignore list.

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/reviews/index.cfm?reviewId=3202607
http://www.play.com/Electronics/Electronics/4-/11740214/Apple-8GB-iPod-Touch-3rd-Gen/Product.html

Agreed. Apple sell refurbed versions of the 8GB, 32GB and 64GB Touches - all labelled as "Previous Generation". Which fooled me into thinking my 8GB version was a 3G. Which made me ignore the warning and download the update. Which made me restore the old version :)

Steve.

mkt
2011-02-08, 14:22
Awesome! It just works. (Especially after I remembered to forward port 3483 :-)).

Any ideas on the relative battery use of flac vs. mp3 decoding?

Gazjam
2011-02-08, 15:34
Agreed. Apple sell refurbed versions of the 8GB, 32GB and 64GB Touches - all labelled as "Previous Generation". Which fooled me into thinking my 8GB version was a 3G. Which made me ignore the warning and download the update. Which made me restore the old version :)

Steve.

How did you restore the old version Steve?

nolan
2011-02-08, 16:14
I just noticed this on the App store and had to post to say how impressed I am!

Got Neil Young playing on my iPad right now and will back up an sort the iPhone side in a minute.

Many thanks :)

pippin
2011-02-08, 16:25
Awesome! It just works. (Especially after I remembered to forward port 3483 :-)).

Any ideas on the relative battery use of flac vs. mp3 decoding?

Doesn't matter. Both are currently horrible. Working on it.
You won't get more than 4h of playback out of it.

SteveEast
2011-02-08, 16:28
How did you restore the old version Steve?

The sequence I went through probably wasn't very efficient as I was googling and experimenting at the same time. I'm sure I went through a bunch of unnecessary steps! But the first and most important step was finding the previous version of the app in the windows recycle bin where the update had put it and saving it to the desktop.

I then deleted the new version from the Touch and from iTunes. Stopped iTunes. Right clicked on the old version and did Open With...iTunes. Synced and the old version got copied to the Touch. Or something like that :) Suffice to say that as long as you can find the old version you should be able to re-install it. I'm sure there is a decent set of instructions around somewhere!

Steve.

Steven Moore
2011-02-08, 17:14
Can anyone confirm if apple lossless tracks Play and at what quality ie lossless or mp3?

Philip Meyer
2011-02-08, 17:37
Damn! I saw v1.3 in iTunes and downloaded the update. Then I read the notice that there's a problem running on iPhone 3G.

I haven't synced my device yet, so still have previous version, but I fear that when I turn the iPhone on, it will auto sync and fail. Is there a way of deleting the update before it syncs?

Phil

epoch1970
2011-02-08, 18:06
Pippin,
this is a wonderful update.

I got playback for free on the iPad, tried it and found the effect magic enough to warrant paying the 4€ in-app purchase on my iPhone:
- my iPhone goes to work, and my lazy iPad stays at home all day. I feared the cross-backup procedure would have nixed my contacts and stuff.
- anyways I don't mind paying 2€ per device given the service, and the feature seems more valuable -to me- on iPhone since my pants have regular size pockets.

IMHO you could put your users out of misery by just saying that playback is free on iPad when you have both iPhone and iPad apps.

Kudos to Coolio and the author of Squeezy.

Flac plays fine indeed. I immediately tried to sync the iPad and iPhone, and moving around the apartment with the iPhone I soon got the devices to lose sync. (My iPad uses a wifi N channel and the iPhone connects to a wifi-G channel.)
I this to be expected, as for other soft players ?

Anyway synching was just for fun. Now my iPhone gives me exactly the service I never could obtain for that poor Controller thing! A mighty good deal for a few bucks.

pippin
2011-02-08, 18:25
Can anyone confirm if apple lossless tracks Play and at what quality ie lossless or mp3?
Yes, they do.
They play lossless when you are on a WiFi network and need to be transcoded over cellular networks due to bandwidth limitations. See the announcement above.

Damn! I saw v1.3 in iTunes and downloaded the update. Then I read the notice that there's a problem running on iPhone 3G.

I haven't synced my device yet, so still have previous version, but I fear that when I turn the iPhone on, it will auto sync and fail. Is there a way of deleting the update before it syncs?

If you haven't synced it it should not be on the phone yet.
You can just delete an App in iTunes by deleting it from the "Apps" section in the left hand pane (in your library).

IMHO you could put your users out of misery by just saying that playback is free on iPad when you have both iPhone and iPad apps.

Well, essentially this is what we are trying to do here.
The problem is that Apple doesn't give you ANY access to user, account or App information so the only solution I could come up with was this somewhat awkward process.

Flac plays fine indeed. I immediately tried to sync the iPad and iPhone, and moving around the apartment with the iPhone I soon got the devices to lose sync. (My iPad uses a wifi N channel and the iPhone connects to a wifi-G channel.)
I this to be expected, as for other soft players ?

Well, I hope we will get sync to work better eventually; this should really work.
For me it sometimes works pretty well and sometimes it doesn't work at all, this is why I did not mention it as a feature.

maggior
2011-02-08, 19:20
I'm listening to FLAC through the built in player on iPeng now. It's been playing solid without a single hiccup - very nice!! Well Done! It's much more convenient than having to deal with starting up Squeezecast first.

I do miss gapless playback though. I hope it's high on your list and doesn't fall through the cracks. Once gapless playback is supported, this will be one of the most awesome pieces of software I've owned :-).

BTW, thanks for giving us something to look forward to and hope for since Logitech isn't really doing much in the area of squeezeboxes at the moment.

Long live the penguin!

pippin
2011-02-08, 19:42
I do miss gapless playback though. I hope it's high on your list and doesn't fall through the cracks.

I believe this will come as a "package" with better battery life and better syncing. I believe the solution for these three things are related.

maggior
2011-02-08, 20:33
I believe this will come as a "package" with better battery life and better syncing. I believe the solution for these three things are related.

Thanks Pippin - that's good to hear. Getting syncing to work would be great - you set the bar high! :-).

Tonight I tried turning off the playback feature in iPeng, closed down iPeng and restarted it. Then I fired up squeezecast. iPeng seemed to get very confused. When squeezecast is in the forefront, everything is OK. When I switch to iPeng, the music fades out and stops. When I try to restart it in iPeng, sometimes it would start and abruptly stop. Eventually it started working, but the music does stop when I return to iPeng after having left iPeng and going to squeezecast. Hitting play starts the music again.

Is there some confusion between the two since they each have the same MAC/IP Address yet are different players? I noticed that iPeng automatically picked up the name of the squeezecast player - from squeezecenter's prespective I guess both players are one in the same due to each having the same MAC/IP address.

Is using squeezecast with iPeng no longer a supported configuration?

Thanks!

sotie
2011-02-08, 21:11
I stream fine to my ipad over wifi but when I switch to 3G I have "no server found". I must be missing something obvious but couldn't locate any information regarding settings. I did forward port 3483 on my router. Any other suggestions?

How does the app know how to "find" my squeezebox server through the internet?

erland
2011-02-08, 21:45
If I officially buy the in-app purchase on one of my iOS devices (for example the iPhone4) do I get it also on all the other devices using the same iTunes account and app for free (for example the iPod Touch) ?
Or do I have to buy it on each individual device ?

I don't want to mess with the backup/restore process and you are worth every extra income you can get for this excellent work. It's not a major problem if I have to buy it on each individual device, I'm just asking in advance so I know how it works.

sotie
2011-02-08, 22:33
I stream fine to my ipad over wifi but when I switch to 3G I have "no server found". I must be missing something obvious but couldn't locate any information regarding settings. I did forward port 3483 on my router. Any other suggestions?

I'm having the same issue with 3G streaming not working on my iphone 4 also.

sotie
2011-02-08, 22:35
The "pause on call" setting isn't working on my iphone 4. After an incoming call is completed the currently playing track starts over from the beginning instead of at the same place it was at when the call came in.

erland
2011-02-08, 23:36
If I officially buy the in-app purchase on one of my iOS devices (for example the iPhone4) do I get it also on all the other devices using the same iTunes account and app for free (for example the iPod Touch) ?
Or do I have to buy it on each individual device ?

I just saw that you had answered this in the other thread:
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?p=609297#post609297

Philip Meyer
2011-02-09, 00:48
>If you haven't synced it it should not be on the phone yet.
>You can just delete an App in iTunes by deleting it from the "Apps"
>section in the left hand pane (in your library).
>
I assumed that would then sync the app deletion to the device (and I'd have to buy it again?).

I saw some other people saying they were going to revert to previous version, but I couldn't see a way to do that in iTunes (no version history).

pippin
2011-02-09, 02:39
Tonight I tried turning off the playback feature in iPeng, closed down iPeng and restarted it. Then I fired up squeezecast. iPeng seemed to get very confused. When squeezecast is in the forefront, everything is OK. When I switch to iPeng, the music fades out and stops.

Could you file a ticket on this?
I had some conversation with bluegaspode on this and we didn't really have a good idea on how to make the two interoperable but I had hoped (as you can see I didn't test it) that it would at least work if the feature is turned off in iPeng.
With SqueezePad it works until you decide to change the volume. I will have to find out whether it's iPeng or SqeezePad changing the volume, with SqueezeCast I have no idea what's going on.

Is there some confusion between the two since they each have the same MAC/IP Address yet are different players? I noticed that iPeng automatically picked up the name of the squeezecast player - from squeezecenter's prespective I guess both players are one in the same due to each having the same MAC/IP address.

Yes. The name is being handled by the server and both SqueezeCast and SqueezePlay are a bit simplistic in that they just set a new name on startup. It doesn't hurt as much in SqueezePad since that at least sets a useful name (your device name) but SqueezeCast just sets "SqueezeCast".

iPeng sets the name when the player doesn't already have one (also to the device name) or leaves it alone if you change it.
Maybe I extend that to giving an own name if the name is "SqueezeCast".

Is using squeezecast with iPeng no longer a supported configuration?

It should be but right now it doesn't seem to work.

iPeng can't automatically find your server over the internet, you have to set your server's address manually (through Settings->iPeng Settings->Add Server).
The best way to do this is to use a dynamic DNS service, there are a few free ones and most current routers support this.
Also, please make sure to open port 3483 to both UDP and TCP and also, you _need_ to forward the port to the same port number you use internally (so 3483 has to be forwarded to port 3483 and 9000 to 9000 or whatever your server uses. The reason is that there are a lot of places in the SlimProto protocol where the port number is being communicated by the server and the server doesn't know about port forwarding. This is also the way the Squeezeboxes work.

The "pause on call" setting isn't working on my iphone 4. After an incoming call is completed the currently playing track starts over from the beginning instead of at the same place it was at when the call came in.
Could you file a ticket for that one, too?
https://trac.penguinlovesmusic.de/trac/ipengnat/

I assumed that would then sync the app deletion to the device (and I'd have to buy it again?).

Only if you sync with iTunes. I believe disabling App synchronization would help.

I saw some other people saying they were going to revert to previous version, but I couldn't see a way to do that in iTunes (no version history).
There is a way if you can find an old "iPeng.ipa" or "iPeng1.ipa",... on your computer, e.g. in the trash can (the iTunes folder also seems to keep some history):
1. Delete iPeng both on your device and in the "Apps" section (left hand pane) of iTunes
2. Drag the old "iPeng*.ipa" file into that "Apps" section in iTunes
3. Connect your device and sync.

united59
2011-02-09, 04:04
But there is no way back for me who updated iPeng direct on the iPod via wifi, I guess.
There were no computer involved.
Try to be patient then..

adekka
2011-02-09, 04:20
Close the ipad app down and restart it, it should be enabled in both.

thx. Works like a charm..

maggior
2011-02-09, 07:19
Could you file a ticket on this?
I had some conversation with bluegaspode on this and we didn't really have a good idea on how to make the two interoperable but I had hoped (as you can see I didn't test it) that it would at least work if the feature is turned off in iPeng.
With SqueezePad it works until you decide to change the volume. I will have to find out whether it's iPeng or SqeezePad changing the volume, with SqueezeCast I have no idea what's going on.

I tried to submit a ticket, but there appears to be a problem with the website. After I entered all of the information and went to submit it, I got an error as though the website went down. I'll try again later.

**UPDATE
ticket #321 has been submitted for this issue. Thanks for looking into it. Let me know if you need further info or testing.

pippin
2011-02-09, 07:23
I tried to submit a ticket, but there appears to be a problem with the website. After I entered all of the information and went to submit it, I got an error as though the website went down. I'll try again later.

Should be working again now.

maggior
2011-02-09, 07:30
Should be working again now.

Yes it is - thanks. While I was at it, I also submitted ticket #322 regarding gapless playback.

sotie
2011-02-09, 09:28
Pippin... Per your request I created Ticket #324 for the issue of "pause on call" not working properly.

Also, once I got 3G working I realized that "pause on call" does work when streaming 3G with my iphone 4, but NOT with wifi.

Can anyone else confirm the same issue? When I'm streaming over wifi the currently playing track starts over from the beginning when the call is ended instead of continuing from the last time it was at before the call.

pippin
2011-02-09, 09:33
Also, once I got 3G working I realized that "pause on call" does work when streaming 3G with my iphone 4, but NOT with wifi.

Can anyone else confirm the same issue? When I'm streaming over wifi the currently playing track starts over from the beginning when the call is ended instead of continuing from the last time it was at before the call.
Is that a FLAC file?

sotie
2011-02-09, 09:42
Is that a FLAC file?

No, 320 mp3.

Mad-s
2011-02-09, 11:11
Hi Pippin

Can you explain how I connect via 3G and Dynamic DNS?

I have a D-Link router with Dynamic DNS build in, but I can't connect to Squeezebox Server.

What do I have to type in when I'm adding another server?

erland
2011-02-09, 11:25
Triode's Spotify plugin doesn't seem to be able to stream audio, the progress meter is moving but no audio in the iPad speaker, music from my local library works great. SqueezePad is able to play Spotify nicely on the same iPad, but I know it also had problems initially.

Of course, it's not really critical since I can use the official iPad/iPhone Spotify app to play Spotify, but...

JonWill
2011-02-09, 11:32
Following on from Erland's post, does the official Spotify app play through iPeng?

norderney
2011-02-09, 11:40
Can I just confirm I have an iPhone 3GS. Does the "do not download iPeng from App store" apply to the 3GS too? In the app store it just says do not download on iPhone 1 and 3G. But did not mention 3GS model?

erland
2011-02-09, 12:15
What about VPN tunneling ?

I have a PPTP VPN server at home and the iPhone4 can connect to it and I can access my internal network via Mobile Safari. When I connect iPeng I also see all the players and can browse my library, but when I try to play something it behaves similar to Spotify, it just changes the Play icon to Pause button in Now Playing screen but there is no audio.

kmccourt
2011-02-09, 12:53
I have it working on an IPsec VPN over 3G with no problems on an iPhone 4 and an iPad.

Brilliant stuff. Thanks for the upgrade.

gharris999
2011-02-09, 13:05
Pippin: thank you so much for implementing this feature. I can report that it's working very well on both my iPad and on my 3rd gen iPod Touch. I went ahead and did the in-app purchase on the Touch even though I own both apps. I don't mind pushing a little spare change your way for such a significant new feature.

I listened to a flaced recording of Messiaen's "La Navitité" last night using iPeng, the iPod touch and some Etymotic ER-4 ear phones. It sounded pretty damn good. Gapless playback, when it comes, will be nice.

One thing I noticed: when I control iPeng's playlist via SBS's webUI from a computer, iPeng's player controls become non-responsive. I had to clear iPeng's playlist from the webUI on the other machine before I could regain control.

Doing a very quick, totally subjective comparison between the Touch+iPeng vs. a SBController (7.6 r9307) using beta audio playback, listening to the same content and using the Etymotics for both....I'd say the Touch sounds fairly comparable...with the SBC maybe winning in terms of reproduction accuracy and dynamic range. That has nothing to do with iPeng, of course...that's the underlying hardware...that and the vagaries of my 53-year-old ears.

I'll be interested to hear what other folks think on that score. Is iPeng's playback affected by the Touch's Settings->Audio->EQ?

In terms of ease of use, there's no comparison. iPeng wins hands down. Using your UI has become 2nd nature to me.

Anyway, great job...thanks again, and I'll be eagerly awaiting further updates.

Relayer35
2011-02-09, 13:19
This is a nice feature. The remote streaming is nice. I already have similar apps that do this, Zumocast (which everything passes through their server, so you're always dependent on it being up), Subsonic (which is nice, unless you want to fast forward through a song), and Audiogalaxy (which was crap). This would be a welcome alternative, especially considering that I already have three Squeezebox's and their would be no additional overhead as I load the Squeezcenter software anyway.

So, I splurged and paid the $5, and have to say I'm very disappointed. It seems buggy as hell. I am using this on an iPhone 4. I had to close out iPeng three times by double clicking the home button and holding down the icon and closing it. When it did play, it was okay, but the screen kept blinking on me, and the WiFi selection would constantly pop up, (I was at work, and can't use their WiFi despite the fact it was detected). I paused it to make a phone call, but when I switched back, it did not keep my place in the song, instead I had to start all over (and of course it didn't play the first time, requiring me to close out the app again). What happens is it looks like it is playing for about 30 seconds, but no sound comes out, then it just stops.

I also have a general question about which ports need to be forwarded. Both the 3483 and the one I have for the interface xxxx? I'd rather change the external ports, and map them to the 3483 and xxxx. But it looked like in the app I could set the server address, but there was no way to reassign the xxxx. Am I missing something? Some detailed instructions on how this all works would be welcome. Also, is there a way to secure the connection. I read something about setting up a password, but would that be for all the Squeezeboxes?

I understand this is your first shot at this, but since you are charging actual money for this feature, I shouldn't have to be a beta tester. The streaming is very buggy, and at this point in time, unusable.

maggior
2011-02-09, 13:26
Doing a very quick, totally subjective comparison between the Touch+iPeng vs. a SBController (7.6 r9307) using beta audio playback, listening to the same content and using the Etymotics for both....I'd say the Touch sounds fairly comparable...with the SBC maybe winning in terms of reproduction accuracy and dynamic range. That has nothing to do with iPeng, of course...that's the underlying hardware...that and the vagaries of my 53-year-old ears.

I'll be interested to hear what other folks think on that score. Is iPeng's playback affected by the Touch's Settings->Audio->EQ?

I've made use of the playback feature on the SBC and I'm surprised by your assessment. Granted, I haven't used the most current FW since I'm still on 7.5.0. My headphones are a pair for Grado SR-225s. I found that I could hear some background noise on the controller during quieter passages; on the iPod Touch (64 GB 3G running current iOS) I've never encountered that, either with mp3s loaded on it or FLACS played through squeezecast/iPeng.

Both have a sound quality that is more than acceptable to me, but there is that one difference I could hear. Interesting how you have a different experience. Perhaps it has something to do with the headphones.

pippin
2011-02-09, 13:55
Triode's Spotify plugin doesn't seem to be able to stream audio, the progress meter is moving but no audio in the iPad speaker, music from my local library works great. SqueezePad is able to play Spotify nicely on the same iPad, but I know it also had problems initially.

Of course, it's not really critical since I can use the official iPad/iPhone Spotify app to play Spotify, but...

I'll look whether it'S something obvious and ask Adrian about it but since I got an explicit "Don't Do This" from Spotify on playing their content I'm not going to do anything specific like adding un-DRMing or something.

Can I just confirm I have an iPhone 3GS. Does the "do not download iPeng from App store" apply to the 3GS too? In the app store it just says do not download on iPhone 1 and 3G. But did not mention 3GS model?

3GS works fine.

One thing I noticed: when I control iPeng's playlist via SBS's webUI from a computer, iPeng's player controls become non-responsive. I had to clear iPeng's playlist from the webUI on the other machine before I could regain control.

I'll check whether this helps to reproduce some of the issues some people report. Thanks!

I had to close out iPeng three times by double clicking the home button and holding down the icon and closing it.

Is there anything you can reproduce that could cause this.
I have seen this a few times, too, now but for me it _only_ happened on startup and I didn't find anything specific, yet.

Could it be you lost the network connection?

but the screen kept blinking on me, and the WiFi selection would constantly pop up, (I was at work, and can't use their WiFi despite the fact it was detected).

Could it be you are having spotty reception?
I know the communication behavior can be improved and that's actually prio 1 we are working on right now but there's really no way I can influence the popup, that's purely an iOS thing and usually happens when the communication over 3G gets lost before it reconnects (it tries WiFi first).

I also have a general question about which ports need to be forwarded. Both the 3483 and the one I have for the interface xxxx? I'd rather change the external ports, and map them to the 3483 and xxxx. But it looked like in the app I could set the server address, but there was no way to reassign the xxxx. Am I missing something? Some detailed instructions on how this all works would be welcome. Also, is there a way to secure the connection. I read something about setting up a password, but would that be for all the Squeezeboxes?

You need to forward port 3483, both TCP and UDP and the UI port needs to be the same externally as internally. The latter is a SlimProto thing, your SB won't work otherwise, too.
It could be avoided but then you have to make it just too dependent on the UI control communication.

If you want to configure a server with a different port than 9000 you do it as:
http://youraddress.com:xxxx
And yes, THAT IS written in the documentation. Since a year or so.
http://penguinlovesmusic.de/ipeng-the-iphone-skin-for-squeezecenter/how-to-use-the-ipeng-application/setup-and-configuration/

Relayer35
2011-02-09, 14:08
Is there anything you can reproduce that could cause this.
I have seen this a few times, too, now but for me it _only_ happened on startup and I didn't find anything specific, yet.

Could it be you lost the network connection?

No. I have a very strong signal where I am and have had no issue connecting to anything, including the other streaming apps I mentioned

Could it be you are having spotty reception?
I know the communication behavior can be improved and that's actually prio 1 we are working on right now but there's really no way I can influence the popup, that's purely an iOS thing and usually happens when the communication over 3G gets lost before it reconnects (it tries WiFi first).

This behavior doesn't exist with the other apps. It might ask once when I launch an app, and Google Maps has a habit of having the wifi menu pop up as I'm driving, but its a different situation as it is detecting a different network. This is the same network over and over again, and occurs almost every time I select anything from an iPeng screen.

You need to forward port 3483, both TCP and UDP and the UI port needs to be the same externally as internally. The latter is a SlimProto thing, your SB won't work otherwise, too.
It could be avoided but then you have to make it just too dependent on the UI control communication.

If you want to configure a server with a different port than 9000 you do it as:
http://youraddress.com:xxxx
And yes, THAT IS written in the documentation. Since a year or so.
http://penguinlovesmusic.de/ipeng-the-iphone-skin-for-squeezecenter/how-to-use-the-ipeng-application/setup-and-configuration/

I had set it up with 3483 and 9000 forwarded, both TCP and UDP, so I know that wasn't the cause of my other issues. I was just wondering if I could change the external address of those ports, and use my router to map them to 3483 & 9000. I am able to do this with other server type apps without issue.

gharris999
2011-02-09, 14:20
Interesting how you have a different experience. Perhaps it has something to do with the headphones.
..or those 53-year-old ears and a growing case of tinnitus.

pippin
2011-02-09, 14:45
I was just wondering if I could change the external address of those ports, and use my router to map them to 3483 & 9000. I am able to do this with other server type apps without issue.

I know. But SlimProto (the Squeezebox protocol) sends the port number to be used on various occasions and it always uses the server port.
We could override this on the player side but this would mean ruling through various layers of control and sounds like trouble. It's just too many things that can go wrong with that.

It's how the Squeezebox System currently works, SBs wont work with the redirection either.

mkt
2011-02-09, 14:52
BTW, this is the easiest way that I've seen to play flac on an ipod/iphone. Given the age of my listening equipment (ears), I never thought it would make a difference to me, but the difference between flac and v2 mp3 is noticeable.

Thanks again!

Jeff Flowerday
2011-02-09, 15:04
BTW, this is the easiest way that I've seen to play flac on an ipod/iphone. Given the age of my listening equipment (ears), I never thought it would make a difference to me, but the difference between flac and v2 mp3 is noticeable.

Thanks again!

I'm glad I decided to do a v0 mp3 library for my portable devices. I struggled to hear difference between them and lossless on my iPhone 4 with Shure 535s.

sksimer
2011-02-09, 15:20
I have an iPhone 3GS and can not get the new iPeng version to work. It begins to load but then crashes back to the main screen.

I was lucky enough to have the 1.2.10 release and loaded that back onto my iPhone. Waiting for the all clear and then will gladly pay the extra for this significant app update.

pippin
2011-02-09, 17:09
A 3GS, not a 3G?
This should work on the 3GS!

pippin
2011-02-10, 02:01
Dear Users!

Apple has been very fast and supportive on this and so we've now got the 1.3.1 update of iPeng for iPhone in the App Store which fixes the crash on startup experienced with iPhone 1 and 3G and iPod touch generations 1 and 2 in iPeng 1.3.

Sorry for the inconvenience involved and have fun with iPeng!

Mnyb
2011-02-10, 02:17
Playback works great :) Thankyou .

The tiny price asked is nothing to fuzz about great work.

Btw Squeezeboxserver can not distinguish between iPeng or SqueezePad's player so the playlist's is inherited .

I have not decided if it a feature or a bug. I'm leaning on feature as I do not suffer from split personality disorder and I'm not in need off two distinct set off playlist in each app on my personal iPad ,(not shared with someone else).
(I think sbs use mac to tell players apart ,all players not only hw squeezeboxes ?) .

I shall now compare the the sound of the 2 apps ;) I will have the iPad on cones of-course but which mode give best sound landscape or portrait ?

Gazjam
2011-02-10, 02:29
Dear Users!

Apple has been very fast and supportive on this and so we've now got the 1.3.1 update of iPeng for iPhone in the App Store which fixes the crash on startup experienced with iPhone 1 and 3G and iPod touch generations 1 and 2 in iPeng 1.3.

Sorry for the inconvenience involved and have fun with iPeng!

RESULT! :)

Thanks Pippin..

pippin
2011-02-10, 02:30
(I think sbs use mac to tell players apart ,all players not only hw squeezeboxes ?) .

precisely :)

I shall now compare the the sound of the 2 apps ;) I will have the iPad on cones of-course but which mode give best sound landscape or portrait ?

But my patented byte-left-rotator is not yet in there!
That will probably another 200$ In-App-Purchase.
The difference should be worth it.

Rick B.
2011-02-10, 06:17
Thanks a lot for this, Pippin. I have purchased the upgrade for my iPod Touch.

I'm not very techie savvy - for the life of me, I can't figure out how to make Playback work!

Are their instructions anywhere?

Thanks,

pippin
2011-02-10, 06:39
Hm, I thought that was pretty straightforward:
1. You go to Settings->Enable Playback
2. You purchase the Playback feature
3. If that succeeds (the App Store transaction) you should the be broght back to the home menu.
4. Now you have an additional player in your list of players which works just like the other Squeezeboxes.

Rick B.
2011-02-10, 07:22
Hm, I thought that was pretty straightforward:
1. You go to Settings->Enable Playback
2. You purchase the Playback feature
3. If that succeeds (the App Store transaction) you should the be broght back to the home menu.
4. Now you have an additional player in your list of players which works just like the other Squeezeboxes.

Thanks, I'm in! Best 5 bucks I've ever spent!

Nothing is straightforward to me...

arnho
2011-02-10, 07:30
Hi,
I use Ipeng at home and the playback is great . Everything work fine (managemnt and playback). But when I try to use ipeng remotely (wifi or 3G) but not at home, I can monitor all the players which are at home, have access to my files but the ipad is not recognized as a remote player . Do you have an idea to solve it ?

Best

Arno

SteveEast
2011-02-10, 08:49
I don't really need this feature, but it's so cool I just had to buy it. Thanks!

Steve.

m1abrams
2011-02-10, 09:13
What bitrate to you transcode FLAC to mp3 at when streaming over 3g?

I am getting a stop and go playback and I suspect it is due to not enough throughput and might benefit by cutting back on the bitrate.

sotie
2011-02-10, 09:42
I previously wrote that Pause On Call works for me over 3G but not WIFI on my iPhone 4. I just tried again and now it doesn't work over either. I did install 1.3.1 so I don't know if that made a difference or not.

The issue is that when and incoming call ends the currently playing track starts over from the beginning instead of the last timecode is was at before the call was initiated.

Can anyone else confirm the same problem? This is important to me because I frequently listen to long podcasts which are over 4 hours in length. It's a real pain to have to try to find the place where I left off everytime a call comes in.

browellm
2011-02-10, 09:45
Are there any material differences between the two competing playback on ipad systems? I have both Squeezepad and iPeng for iPad. I already enabled playback via Squeezepad.

bluegaspode
2011-02-10, 10:02
Are there any material differences between the two competing playback on ipad systems? I have both Squeezepad and iPeng for iPad. I already enabled playback via Squeezepad.

Differences how I see them (pippin please add)

As of today iPeng supports native FLAC decoding (SqueezePad right now streams them as pcm or mp3), experimental WMA decoding (won't be a feature in SqueezePad) and synchronisation already works most of the time.
pippin also had a good idea to detect if people use 3G and then forces the server to trancode to mp3 automatically (will follow in SqueezePad :D ).
In SqueezePad right now you would need to activate bitrate limiting on the server for better 3G performance of lossless formats.

SqueezePad is able to stream Spotify (when using triodes plugin).

As of tomorrow a new SqueezePad version arrives on your AppStore and will
- also feature native FLAC decoding
- feature gapless playback (not available in iPeng - yet)
- synchronisation among devices as well

In one, two or three month I guess both will have exactly the same feature set and if there are any quirks left they will be solved in both.
This is not an area where we can compete much regarding quality I think.

Music is Music in the end (and only some Audiophiles will tell us soon how the music can be improved with interesting tricks).
I'm waiting for the day someone announces that the audio from the iPad does sound better than that from the Touch though :)

pippin
2011-02-10, 10:17
What bitrate to you transcode FLAC to mp3 at when streaming over 3g?

I am getting a stop and go playback and I suspect it is due to not enough throughput and might benefit by cutting back on the bitrate.

Whatever is set in your player settings on the server. The default is 320kbps, I believe

The next version will use 128 kbps.

pippin
2011-02-10, 10:21
pippin also had a good idea to detect if people use 3G and then forces the server to trancode to mp3 automatically (will follow in SqueezePad :D ).

You definitely should do that. Apple throws Apps out of the store for not doing this if they find out!

SqueezePad is able to stream Spotify (when using triodes plugin).

How do you do that? The plugin transcodes, that's what I understand, but why doesn't that work in iPeng, too? It does work with Napster.

In one, two or three month I guess both will have exactly the same feature set and if there are any quirks left they will be solved in both.

Yep. That's what I believe, too.

Music is Music in the end (and only some Audiophiles will tell us soon how the music can be improved with interesting tricks).
I'm waiting for the day someone announces that the audio from the iPad does sound better than that from the Touch though :)
Be careful.
I just burned my moth in soundcheck's thread so right now you might be ahead for avid audiophiles, don't destroy that advantage!

bluegaspode
2011-02-10, 11:03
How do you do that? The plugin transcodes, that's what I understand, but why doesn't that work in iPeng, too? It does work with Napster.
wrote you a mail.

Be careful.
I just burned my moth in soundcheck's thread so right now you might be ahead for avid audiophiles, don't destroy that advantage!

Nah - we are all grown up (I think).
I'm a programmer who doesn't believe in certain things and those who hear the differences need to defend their position often against us nonbelievers anyway. That's part of the game and we all have fun with this I guess.
As long as you and me is allowed to write/discuss their beliefs as users of this forum everything is fine.
That both of us are stubborn not only when talking about our Apps people should have realized already.

nolan
2011-02-10, 13:29
I just enabled playback for my iPhone as well as my iPad (paid as I figured £2.99 was less than my time is worth to restore my phone and get it back how I like it).

Works great at work to listen to my music at home. For the people having problems, make sure you have the port forwarding right on your router (9000 TCP/IP and 3483 TCP/IP & UDP). I spent an hour wondering my my iPhone wasn't showing up as a player before I realised I'd transposed two of the digits in on of the port numbers!

pippin
2011-02-10, 15:44
OK, for all of you who wonder how to set up remote playback I've written up a (not so) small blog post on the topic:
http://penguinlovesmusic.de/2011/02/11/coolios-guide-to-remote-playback/

bluegaspode
2011-02-10, 16:25
OK, for all of you who wonder how to set up remote playback I've written up a (not so) small blog post on the topic:

Damn - wanted to do that all the time in my blog as well :)
Now I need to wait some time until you won't realize that I will copy most of your text in the future *g* ...

Why do you forward 3483 UDP? Isn't UDP only used for server-detection (which doesn't make sense from the outside, when port 9000 is forwarded to a specific server anyway?)

pippin
2011-02-10, 17:00
Why do you forward 3483 UDP? Isn't UDP only used for server-detection (which doesn't make sense from the outside, when port 9000 is forwarded to a specific server anyway?)

I thought so, too. But at least my SBs didn't work without UDP, will have to try it with iPeng and see how that works.

Edit: You are right. iPeng works without UDP. Will change the blog. Thanks.

chill
2011-02-10, 17:09

Good advice Pippin, but I just wanted to chip in and recommend the VPN route. Having experimented with it this evening I now have it running on my Mac Mini SBS host. The beauty of this method is that turning on the VPN is a single click/tap on the iPhone, and then your normal internal IP address of your SBS host is the same as if you were on your own LAN - no need to specify a different server IP address.

erland
2011-02-10, 17:23
Good advice Pippin, but I just wanted to chip in and recommend the VPN route.

Have you got audio playback to work over VPN ?

I tried yesterday and didn't get any sound but maybe it was a bandwidth issue on my side. Connecting to the server and browsing worked great, it was just the playback that didn't work.

chill
2011-02-10, 17:28
Have you got audio playback to work over VPN ?

I tried yesterday and didn't get any sound but maybe it was a bandwidth issue on my side. Connecting to the server and browsing worked great, it was just the playback that didn't work.

Yes, playback worked fine. I have set up bandwidth limiting for my iPeng player (128k), so that may be it, although I understand that iPeng switches to MP3 transcoding anyway for 3G connections. My connection is 3G and I had 5 bars of signal strength at the time of testing.

pichonCalavera
2011-02-11, 00:44
Excellent update!, I just paid and downloaded the latest version an hour ago, and so far it has been working perfectly on my iPod 4G and iPod 2G.

I've tried playing locally and remotely (transcoding to 128Kbps Mp3, using tethering from my cellphone) and both are working great.

Tomorrow I'll test it even more when I connect from work to my Squeezebox Server at home.

I'll be looking forward to improve the battery usage and gapless playback.

Once again, great update pippin! on the best app on my iPod.

hvb83
2011-02-11, 02:10
Thanks Pippin, loving the playback function! On my iPad I used your trick, but didn't feel like restoring my iPhone, so I just bought the additional package.

Keep up the good work!

chill
2011-02-11, 07:40
...although I understand that iPeng switches to MP3 transcoding anyway for 3G connections.

After re-reading Pippin's announcement in the first post of this thread I realise that the switch to MP3 transcoding is NOT part of iPeng, and you have to configure it. I guess some sort of bespoke configuration can be set up so that MP3 and AAC files are not needlessly transcoded, but for my needs the bandwidth limiting feature, which ensures that anything over 128k is transcoded to 128k MP3, seems fine.

I experimented further and set up a DynDNS account, so that now my iPhone's VPN connection can reference an unchanging address. I can't get over how cool it is to be able to play music from my home server wherever I am.

This VPN option also opens up other possibilities which I'm only now starting to explore - iPeng just gave me the nudge that I needed. For example, I have AirVideo also running on my SBS host, so it should be possible to watch my iTunes movies without syncing them to my iPhone. I guess the bandwidth for video will be a problem, but in an airport or hotel with decent wifi it might work OK.

pippin
2011-02-11, 08:34
After re-reading Pippin's announcement in the first post of this thread I realise that the switch to MP3 transcoding is NOT part of iPeng, and you have to configure it.

Nonono. iPeng DOES switch to MP3 transcoding if you use cellular, just the limiting to 128kbps is something that will only be in there from the next release on.

I guess some sort of bespoke configuration can be set up so that MP3 and AAC files are not needlessly transcoded, but for my needs the bandwidth limiting feature, which ensures that anything over 128k is transcoded to 128k MP3, seems fine.

MP3 and AAC are not being transcoded right now, only FLAC and ALAC are. ALAC is mainly being transcoded because that's the server default, I believe you have to change the convert.conf to make that work natively for iPeng. Which iPeng supports.

epoch1970
2011-02-11, 10:32
Nonono. iPeng DOES switch to MP3 transcoding if you use cellular, just the limiting to 128kbps is something that will only be in there from the next release on.
Can't you use the LAME quality setting (0: best … 9:fastest) in the player pref ?

pippin
2011-02-11, 11:50
Can't you use the LAME quality setting (0: best … 9:fastest) in the player pref ?

These have no effect on the bitrate.
I'm going to set the bitrate in the next release.
You CAN of course use the quality settings.

Jeff Flowerday
2011-02-11, 13:06
These have no effect on the bitrate.
I'm going to set the bitrate in the next release.
You CAN of course use the quality settings.

What if we made mp3 the default for our iDevice. Will you let our setting stay or do you plan on overriding it to 128? I have a decent pipe out of my house and would like better quality than 128 even when on 3G.

citoyen
2011-02-11, 14:13
I'm trying to purchase Playback, but I get a message telling me that I'm in the Sandbox environment and I need to get a Sandbox account. (Since you asked a commenter on your blog: my iPod has indeed been jailbroken). Anything I can do about this?

pippin
2011-02-11, 14:46
What if we made mp3 the default for our iDevice. Will you let our setting stay or do you plan on overriding it to 128? I have a decent pipe out of my house and would like better quality than 128 even when on 3G.

I will change it then.
Apple has a rule that forbids Apps to stream at higher bitrates over 3G which - strictly speaking - I'm violating right now.
You would have to change it back to a higher bitrate after starting the playback, iPeng would leave it alone then.
Maybe I add a configuration option...

pippin
2011-02-11, 14:49
I'm trying to purchase Playback, but I get a message telling me that I'm in the Sandbox environment and I need to get a Sandbox account. (Since you asked a commenter on your blog: my iPod has indeed been jailbroken). Anything I can do about this?

Google it :)
I don't know what you did to jailbreak your device so I can't tell you what you have to do, but you are not the first one with the issue and it's not limited to iPeng.

citoyen
2011-02-11, 15:31
Google it :)
I don't know what you did to jailbreak your device so I can't tell you what you have to do, but you are not the first one with the issue and it's not limited to iPeng.

Thanks! 4 EUR heading your way.

mikes
2011-02-12, 12:00
I will change it then.
Apple has a rule that forbids Apps to stream at higher bitrates over 3G which - strictly speaking - I'm violating right now.
You would have to change it back to a higher bitrate after starting the playback, iPeng would leave it alone then.
Maybe I add a configuration option...

Pippin,
Love the playback option. I have it running over a PPTP VPN server with no problems.

I would like to request a configuration option for bit rate limiting also for another reason. I have been using a Verizion Mifi (3G WiFi Hotspot). As a result iPeng thinks I am on a WiFi connection and is not transcoding my FLACs. I had to manually set bit rate limiting on player via the Web UI which is a bit of a pain on your iDevices.

By the way, with the Verizoin Mifi, I was able to stream FLAC almost flawlessly. It was over 10 to 15 minutes before it had a minor buffering stutter which clued me in to the issue.

Thanks,
--mike

lurknomo
2011-02-12, 13:48
Could someone please post a quick summary on how to use iPeng playback remotely (via 3G or non-LAN WiFi) using a VPN. My Squeezecenter server is on a Mac Mini running Snow Leopard. I am using 2GB Time Capsule for wireless connectivity. I also have an WRT-54G running DD-WRT for secondary wireless network serving some Tivos. I will be streaming to an iPhone 4.

I guess I'm not that familiar with VPNs, and find this topic a bit confusing. I'm not sure how to set up, or even procure, a VPN suitable for personal use.

I looked at the WiTopia service, but this did not seem appropriate as only one subscriber device at a time communicates with their VPN gateway. For this application, both iPhone and Squeezecenter server would simultaneously access the VPN, correct?

Thanks.
Lurk

Peter314
2011-02-12, 15:54
Been enjoying playback via iPad - many thanks Pippin. I find it's particularly convenient for listening while in the bath.

One oddity this morning: I listened to Brian Matthew's Sounds of the Sixties via BBC iPlayer. When I subsequently demonstrated how cool the new app is to my younger daughter by playing Evanescence, the demo was somewhat undermined by the grinning face of Brian Matthew remaining on the screensaver page. No amount of clearing the playlist would change this. A full power-down of iPeng did the trick and it hasn't happened since. Just thought I'd mention it in case it might be of significance to your continuous improvement programme. ;)

pippin
2011-02-12, 16:27
I believe this may be a bug where the current track on the NowPlaying screen/screen saver (artwork) is not being replaced on the first track after a wakeup from the background.
The second track should indeed work fine again but I'll try to fix that one, too.

epoch1970
2011-02-13, 04:44
I seem to have trouble playing the BBC (from France). I usually tune to Gilles Peterson in listen again mode over the week-end.
I can do it with players other than iPhone or iPeng.

When selecting the radio, the app starts playing silence for a few seconds, then resets to pause and 0:00.
I've changed settings from direct streaming to proxied streaming, to no avail.
I can play other radios, though not every single one (some may have been out of service at the very moment, I only checked with iPeng and iPad side by side, not with a third hardware player.)
I was able to play BBC Radio Wales, which is an iPlayer radio.
I run SBS 7.4.2

Any hint regarding radio streaming on the iPeng players ?

moley6knipe
2011-02-15, 15:18
I've finally got SBS streaming to iPeng via 3G, but I'm having a few problems. iPhone 4

1 I can't browse by artist in iPeng with my wi-fi off and when I've got 3G signal. The spinning ball appears and never goes away when I drill down into e.g. "Queen". Same problem for Albums etc

2 I can start stuff playing via SBS web gui and eventually it appears in Now Playing, and I can pause it, but then the Play button sometimes doesn't revert to a pause symbol for a dog's age.

My upload speed IS 0.7 Mbps.

Hope someone can help!

moley6knipe
2011-02-15, 15:21
@epoch1970

If you're listening to BBC iPlayer aac streams, then I believe they can't be converted to an rmtp (I think I've got that right!) stream which is what SqueezePlay (which iPeng appears in SBS as) needs.

pippin
2011-02-15, 15:30
@epoch1970

If you're listening to BBC iPlayer aac streams, then I believe they can't be converted to an rmtp (I think I've got that right!) stream which is what SqueezePlay (which iPeng appears in SBS as) needs.

The low bitrate BBC AAC streams are currently broken but will work in the next version of iPeng, we have a fix.

pippin
2011-02-15, 15:33
I've finally got SBS streaming to iPeng via 3G, but I'm having a few problems. iPhone 4

1 I can't browse by artist in iPeng with my wi-fi off and when I've got 3G signal. The spinning ball appears and never goes away when I drill down into e.g. "Queen". Same problem for Albums etc

2 I can start stuff playing via SBS web gui and eventually it appears in Now Playing, and I can pause it, but then the Play button sometimes doesn't revert to a pause symbol for a dog's age.

My upload speed IS 0.7 Mbps.

Hope someone can help!

Are you sure iPeng uses the correct server address (the remote one)? Youbhave configured that one manually, haven't you?

2. iPeng currently has abug that can hit performance and that will be fixed in the next release. 0.7mbps is fine unless you need HD FLAC.

moley6knipe
2011-02-15, 16:41
Ye, i've entered a manual server address to match my dynDNS account, myname.dyndns.org

pippin
2011-02-15, 19:25
Ye, i've entered a manual server address to match my dynDNS account, myname.dyndns.org

And is that the active server in iPeng? Or just a choice under "Music Sources"?
Are you sure the 3G communication works, can you reach your server through the Safari browser on the iPhone?

moley6knipe
2011-02-16, 01:43
Hi Pippin. I'm certain the problem's me, but I don't know what I've done wrong...

1 Created a dynDNS account, and registered my router's WAN IP
2 Set my router up to use dynDNS, which its log files shows is working
3 Set port forwarding (9000 TCP and 3483 TCP) in my router as per your guide
4 Set SBS settings > advanced > security to use password, and not to block ip addresses
5 Added myname.dyndns.org as a server in iPeng

Everything on my home network has a fixed IP address, there are no clashes and DHCP is off. I'm not using a VPN but plan to at some point.

I have an SB3 and a Boom at home, as well as the iPhone 4 32Gb.

I can access myname.dyndns.org:9000 via Safari on iPhone over 3G.

pippin
2011-02-16, 02:11
Could you post or send me a screen shot of the MultiPlayer screen when it deosn't work (thbat one: http://penguinlovesmusic.de/wp-content/gallery/ipeng-1-2/img_0321.png)?

moley6knipe
2011-02-16, 03:14
Hi Pippin - that link is not working, but I think this is right?

pippin
2011-02-16, 03:30
My, that's big ;-)

Sorry, everyone, shoulda resized that...

Now this is strange. I mean: it's showing your players!
Can you control them?
Are you using port 9000?

moley6knipe
2011-02-16, 06:16
I can sort of control them but it's really, really sluggish and like I say I can't use iPeng to browse albums, artists etc.

pippin
2011-02-16, 06:24
I can sort of control them but it's really, really sluggish and like I say I can't use iPeng to browse albums, artists etc.
could it be that you have a really slow/high latency connection so that retrieving data times out?

epoch1970
2011-02-16, 10:18
The low bitrate BBC AAC streams are currently broken but will work in the next version of iPeng, we have a fix.

FYI, this is the mp3 stream I'm using. It works on Boom and SB3, not in iPeng. iPad stays mute. iPeng stays mute + fails to refresh the now playing screen.

BBC iPlayer (v1.1.13)
SBS Version: 7.4.2 - r30215 @ Fri Feb 19 15:21:27 PST 2010
Server HTTP Port Number: 9000
Operating system: Debian - EN - utf8
Platform Architecture: x86_64-linux
Perl Version: 5.10.1 - x86_64-linux-gnu-thread-multi
MySQL Version: 5.1.49-1

pippin
2011-02-16, 10:43
FYI, this is the mp3 stream I'm using. It works on Boom and SB3, not in iPeng. iPad stays mute. iPeng stays mute + fails to refresh the now playing screen.

BBC iPlayer (v1.1.13)
SBS Version: 7.4.2 - r30215 @ Fri Feb 19 15:21:27 PST 2010
Server HTTP Port Number: 9000
Operating system: Debian - EN - utf8
Platform Architecture: x86_64-linux
Perl Version: 5.10.1 - x86_64-linux-gnu-thread-multi
MySQL Version: 5.1.49-1

Where are you?
Since when does the BBC have mp3 streams???

I'm only aware of AAC and WMA streams. The WMA ones don't work in iPeng and need to be transcoded and the AAC ones currently only work in the UK (because of higher bitrate). The "foreign" ones will work in the next release.

epoch1970
2011-02-16, 10:56
Where are you?

I'm only aware of AAC and WMA streams. The WMA ones don't work in iPeng and need to be transcoded and the AAC ones currently only work in the UK (because of higher bitrate). The "foreign" ones will work in the next release.

My settings:
Prefer WMA streams Enable [ ]
Use Flash AAC streams Enable [ ]
Use Flash MP3 streams Enable [V]
Show Live Text Enable [V]
Live Text - Squeezebox Classic [Top Line]

All my players reside in Paris France.

pippin
2011-02-16, 12:22
Have you checked through the context menu that it's really mp3? If I try that setup I get WMA streams.

moley6knipe
2011-02-16, 13:12
Hi Pippin. Just run speedtest.net app from iphone, results below.

Connection Type: Cellular
Server: Milton Keynes
Download: 2.25 Mbps
Upload: 1.56 Mbps
Ping: 221 ms

Connection Type: WiFi
Server: Milton Keynes
Download: 10.50 Mbps
Upload: 0.86 Mbps
Ping: 103 ms

...is that ping speed too slow? I was just using iPeng on 3g at home pointing to dyndns.org and listen again bbc iplayer kept cutting out (i'd started playback directly from my wifi Boom), switched to wifi restarted ipeng selected local server and playback now ok. Significant? Having said that, it's just rebuffered so maybe my wifi has dropped down a bit (51% strength on Boom) or the bbc server is poorly.

My server is a Vortexbox (therefore RedHat Linux) 2.2Ghz dual core, 2Gb ram, gigabit ethernet, pair of 5400 spinpoints in a software raid0 config. Thereforemy server unlikely to be the cause, I think?

Anyone reading this got this working successfully on a DD-WRT router?

moley6knipe
2011-02-16, 13:27
Something else - if I switch servers in iPeng, it asks me which players to switch, but even if I *don't* tick my SB3 and Boom, after switching they appear in my list of dyndns.org players. Is my screenshot in post #121 how you'd expect it to look after I've switched as I just described?

I'm a pain, I'm sorry...

moley6knipe
2011-02-16, 13:28
Are you using port 9000?

Yes I am. I'm going to stop posting, or at least try and get organised enough to put all my thoughts in one post.

pippin
2011-02-16, 13:43
Something else - if I switch servers in iPeng, it asks me which players to switch, but even if I *don't* tick my SB3 and Boom, after switching they appear in my list of dyndns.org players. Is my screenshot in post #121 how you'd expect it to look after I've switched as I just described?

That's ok.
I mean: it IS the same server, the players are connected to it. iPeng just has to decide where to show them and it prefers the active one.

I know it's a bit of a strange setup but I know it should work because I use it the same way, too.

Have you tried flushing the cache?
If you do, do you get the blue progress bar on the albums screen?

Oh, and I assume you did try to quit and restart iPeng, right?

epoch1970
2011-02-16, 13:44
Have you checked through the context menu that it's really mp3? If I try that setup I get WMA streams.

Yes, I see "wma" in the URL as well. I expected that somehow BBC iPlayer was transcoding on the server and sending mp3…

To conclude: you are aware of the issue, fixing AAC is the solution, that's fine with me.
Thanks for looking, Pippin.

pippin
2011-02-16, 13:47
Yes, I see "wma" in the URL as well. I expected that somehow BBC iPlayer was transcoding on the server and sending mp3…

To conclude: you are aware of the issue, fixing AAC is the solution, that's fine with me.
Thanks for looking, Pippin.

It's even fixed here :)

moley6knipe
2011-02-16, 14:12
Have you tried flushing the cache?
If you do, do you get the blue progress bar on the albums screen?

Oh, and I assume you did try to quit and restart iPeng, right?

Here's what I've just tried in the way of rebooting!...

1 Rebooted router
2 Rebooted Squeezebox Server
3 Rebooted iPhone
4 Quit iPeng. Restarted iPeng via wifi on iPhone
5 Flushed cache
6 Went to albums, iPeng sync'd cache
7 Quit iPeng
8 Turned wifi off
9 Opened iPeng, flushed cache
10 Went to albums, iPeng again started syncing cache but progress bar hung early on.

Does look like a latency issue, unless there's any weirdness with my router?

Line
2011-02-19, 11:58
Thanks for the playback feature pippin!

Just a heads up, there is an app out there called squeezecast with gapless playback, i think its based off of the squeezeslave binary. (sadly this means it inherits its flaws too, i.e. sped up playback on strange frequencies like those found on radio streams)

Perhaps a chat with its creator could give you some insight on how to implement gapless playback into ipeng! Best of luck.

pippin
2011-02-19, 13:25
That doesn't help me a bit.
We know how to do gapless, I believe, it's just work.
Squeezeslave doesn't help me. I mean: the source code is open and I can look up everything I want as I can do on SqueezeSlave. However, we can't use anything from SqueezeSlave since it's GPL'ed. Read up on GPL and App Store.

March
2011-02-21, 13:14
Hi Pippin :)
I have been trying to get the ipeng playback to work outside my WiFi for some hours now, without succes.
When i switch from my local server to the internet (DynDNS), the iPhone player is NOT shown, although i select it to move to the internetadres.
I can connect to my Squeezebox and control it also with the Dyndns address, and it shows albumart etc. Just no iPhone shows up there.
Any idea?

pippin
2011-02-21, 13:18
You need to also open port 3483.
See my blog post on penguinlovesmusic.com for a lengthy description.

simonjedrake
2011-02-21, 16:12
I have been trying to get the ipeng playback to work outside my WiFi for some hours now, without succes.
When i switch from my local server to the internet (DynDNS), the iPhone player is NOT shown, although i select it to move to the internetadres.
I can connect to my Squeezebox and control it also with the Dyndns address, and it shows albumart etc. Just no iPhone shows up there.
Any idea?
I initially had the same problem when switching between my local wifi network to using DynDNS on my phone's network. My fix was to kill off my previous iPeng session by "a double press on Home Button etc....." & then restart iPeng from cold. It would then always pick up the phone's network perfectly, were as if I had NOT killed off the previous iPeng session it would never connect via DynDNS.
Hope this helps. Simon

signor_rossi
2011-02-22, 10:46
I have bought the playback function and wanted to give my brother the possibility to use his old iPhone (pre-3G) as a Squeezebox player on his JBL radio dock. It does work, but the volume level output from the iPhone seems to be at 100% and can't be changed, resulting in unwanted static that can be heard easily. Is there a magic switch or would that function be something for a feature request to be made?

OFFTOPIC. LOL: Just aside. When writing the name iPeng I suddenly remembered that BMW will start calling their new electric car series i3 and i8. What a bunch of unimaginative and copycat *ss*ole*. ;) :) They have no shame and show it full of pride. Stupid Bavarians.

pippin
2011-02-22, 11:27
Does the dock maybe somehow use a digital audio signal?
In iPeng you can change the volume however you like.

signor_rossi
2011-02-22, 11:47
I was too eager with my previous post, sorry. The whole thing is actually an iPod dock that for some reason allows the playback from a pre-3G iPhone, it even says something about the product not being compatible with the iPhone when it is placed in the dock. Since it 'worked' otherwise I didn't bother to mention it before. Anyway, seems this JBL dock is not shielded properly for WiFi, but it sounds crap with an old iPod too, you can even hear the hard disk spinning at low volumes through the speakers.
Sorry again for the trouble.

MunichMelly
2011-02-26, 04:28
Where are you?

Wasn't quite sure how to interpret the above answer.
Will wma streams via the BBCiPlayer also work in the next iPeng release?
In the BBCiPlayer settings I currently have "Prefer wma streams" enabled as this is recommended for low power servers (I have a QNAP NAS and am located in Germany). Looking forward to using iPeng playback with the BBCiPlayer plugin.
Great app anyway.

pippin
2011-02-26, 10:54
No, WMA will not work. It's a licensing issue (see above).

Jeff Flowerday
2011-02-28, 09:52
If I bought playback for my iPhone, is it then free on my iTouch?

pippin
2011-02-28, 09:57
If I bought playback for my iPhone, is it then free on my iTouch?

If it's the same App (iPeng for iPhone) and the same iTunes account: yes.

Justme
2011-02-28, 13:35
This sounds really good. One question: Will it sync (over wifi) with my Boom, SB Radio and SB2? Nothing I love better than audio syncing in each room of our apartment ;O)

I'm running SqueezeBox Server via a dedicated Laptop running via Vortex Box software.

pippin
2011-02-28, 13:41
This sounds really good. One question: Will it sync (over wifi) with my Boom, SB Radio and SB2? Nothing I love better than audio syncing in each room of our apartment ;O)

I'm running SqueezeBox Server via a dedicated Laptop running via Vortex Box software.

Currently not very well.
Working on it.

Line
2011-03-01, 04:45
That doesn't help me a bit.
We know how to do gapless, I believe, it's just work.
Squeezeslave doesn't help me. I mean: the source code is open and I can look up everything I want as I can do on SqueezeSlave. However, we can't use anything from SqueezeSlave since it's GPL'ed. Read up on GPL and App Store.

Sorry for the late response.

Oh I see! I guess the squeezecast author must be in violation of the lisence agreement then. Hope you find a solution that doesn't cause too much grief.

I've been using iPeng on my iPad and iPhone overseas accessing my music in Southern california just great. Thanks again!

pichonCalavera
2011-03-06, 23:04
Hi Pippin, any plans for a Mac Os X version of iPeng now that it has it's own App Store too?, I know is not the same as iOS but I was just wondering.

pippin
2011-03-07, 01:35
Plans: yes.
But need to do a few new things for iOS first :)

FCLymond
2011-03-07, 08:20
Any idea?

I am having this exact problem--i.e., outsite my WiFi network I can connect to the server, I can control players that are on my WiFi network, but my iPhone disappears as a choice of player.

I have the correct ports open.

I tried the app restart trick, but that didn't work either?

Any ideas why this is happening? Frustratingly close to being able to remote stream...

pippin
2011-03-07, 08:46
I am having this exact problem--i.e., outsite my WiFi network I can connect to the server, I can control players that are on my WiFi network, but my iPhone disappears as a choice of player.

I have the correct ports open.

I tried the app restart trick, but that didn't work either?

Any ideas why this is happening? Frustratingly close to being able to remote stream...

Have you read this:

The two important aspects are:
1. Port 3483 must be open for TCP
2. both ports 3483 and 9000 MUST be the same ports that you are using internally in your network (so you can't redirect port 9000 to port 8000 or something similar).

FCLymond
2011-03-07, 08:58
Have you read this:

The two important aspects are:
1. Port 3483 must be open for TCP
2. both ports 3483 and 9000 MUST be the same ports that you are using internally in your network (so you can't redirect port 9000 to port 8000 or something similar).

Check and check. And I have read your very helpful guide as well, and followed each step. Everything is working perfectly--I can control my players via my iPhone on 3G network--but the iPhone itself doesn't show up as a player.

FCLymond
2011-03-07, 09:51
Check and check. And I have read your very helpful guide as well, and followed each step. Everything is working perfectly--I can control my players via my iPhone on 3G network--but the iPhone itself doesn't show up as a player.

D'oh! Solved--firewall issue. (User of firewall issue--I had transposed digits on the port...)

Thanks for continued great work here, pippin.

pichonCalavera
2011-03-11, 22:36
Plans: yes.
But need to do a few new things for iOS first :)

Great!, looking forward to the Mac OS X Version as well.

pippin
2011-03-18, 11:20
The recent updates to iPeng 1.3.2 and iPeng for iPad 1.1.2 bring some improvements to playback, bug fixes and a change to the discount offered for users of both Apps.

What Happened to Free Playback?

Let's talk about the discount first.

When we introduced Playback in iPeng 1.3/1.1, I wanted to give something back to true customers of both iPeng versions. This is not as easy as it sounds since the App Store business model is fixed, discounts are not provided for. Something is either entirely free or has to be sold at full price.

So my idea was: "Hey, let's give users who own both Apps the Playback for free".

Bad idea.

To cut a long story short: As it turned out, the only solution we found was too complicated for a lot of users and the lack of a simple capability to transfer the license to other devices (there was a capability, but it was awkward) lead to a lot of disappointment and bad mood.

The final stroke then came when Apple objected to this model because it's in a violation of one of their App Store review rules. The rule says, that you may only use App Store mechanisms to unlock additional features. Our interpretation of this (and well, it did pass review) was that this only applies to using other means of SELLING features (so that you can not set up your own In-App-Purchase system) but Apple informed us that it would also apply to unlocking something for free. Now actually a lot of other Apps do that, too, but this is probably a different story.

So that was it for free playback. However, if you have enabled this feature in version 1.3.1/1.1 you will not lose it, your free playback will stay active!

Enter Discounted Playback

However, I'm not willing to give up the discount completely so here's a new try: Discounted Playback. It uses the App Store to make available a discounted (to the equivalent of $1) copy of Playback through the App Store in iPeng for iPhone (it will enable playback for iPeng for iPad, too). Besides having the disadvantage of requiring you to pay 1$ more, it has a few advantages:

* It only uses the App Store to unlock a feature so should be compliant to the App Store rules.
* Since it uses the App Store it's simple to transfer it to other devices.

How does Discounted Playback Work?

Here are the steps you have to follow to purchase and use the discounted playback.

1. Install both iPeng for iPhone and iPeng for iPad on the same iPad.
2. Start both Apps on iPad.
3. Go to iPeng for iPhone(!) on iPad
4. In the Enable Playback dialog, iPeng for iPhone will now offer you to purchase Playback at a discounted rate equivalent to ~1US$
5. Purchase Playback
6. Playback is now enabled for both Apps on the iPad
7. To transfer the license, open iPeng for iPhone on a different device and press Restore Previous Purchase in the Enable Playback dialog. Do NOT purchase it again, use the Restore Playback button instead.

What else has changed?

OK, so much for the business side of things. There are also some other improvements in these iPeng releases.

* New File and Stream formats: iPeng Playback now supports Ogg/Vorbis and PCM (WAV, AIFF). While Ogg/Vorbis is helpful for files in that format and some radio streams that use it, PCM will especially help support some streams that required server-side transcoding.
* Bug fixes in Playback and stream handling. BBC streams in AAC format, for example, will now work.
* iPeng now limits the bitrate over the cellular network to 128kbps to meet the App Store criteria.
* And then this iPeng release fixes a really nasty bug that lead to excessive CPU usage and battery consumption in iPeng, not only with playback.

Now, I know a lot of you will be disappointed by the dropping of the free Playback capability. I'm sorry about that but can't change that, I hope you can live with the discount solution, too.

If I could start this anew, I'm pretty sure I would no longer try to discount something but just charge the full price. While this, too, would cause some bad mood it would just cause so much less trouble.

Cheers!

See also www.penguinlovesmusic.com

MadScientist
2011-03-19, 10:12
I seem to have lost the random play option from the top menu after installing iPad 1.1.2. I may be missing something simple but I've also lost all options in 'player options' menu. Anyone else have this problem?

pippin
2011-03-19, 10:36
I seem to have lost the random play option from the top menu after installing iPad 1.1.2. I may be missing something simple but I've also lost all options in 'player options' menu. Anyone else have this problem?

Are you using a 7.5.4 or 7.6 beta build, about two weeks old?
If yes, please update to a current build.

It has nothing to do with the current iPeng update, the previous version as well as SqueezePad and (to a lesser degree) SqueezePlay based players are affected, too.

MadScientist
2011-03-19, 10:40
Yes, 7.6

Just updated and all sorted - many thanks

Daverz
2011-03-19, 20:16
How do I keep the player from defaulting to the iPod? It's driving me nuts.

pippin
2011-03-20, 02:50
How do I keep the player from defaulting to the iPod? It's driving me nuts.

You mean it selects the iPod player per default?
That shouldn't be, iPeng should select the last player that was active when you left it.
Is iPeng crashing or something?

Daverz
2011-03-20, 03:08
You mean it selects the iPod player per default?
That shouldn't be, iPeng should select the last player that was active when you left it.
Is iPeng crashing or something?

It was defaulting to the iPod as player after unlocking the iPod, even if the Touch was the last player.

Damn, I can't reproduce it right now, but it was happening a lot. I rarely use the iPod as player.

pippin
2011-03-20, 04:29
Could it be that your server loses players from time to time?
There have been issues like that with some server versions, don't remember which ones it were.
If iPeng is still running in the background and a player is dropped, it selects another one and I believe there is a bigger threshold for dropping the "iPeng" player because as long as it's not playing, that one will _always_ disconnect when iPeng goes to the background so iPeng doesn't immediately drop it to avoid it being deselected every time.

Daverz
2011-03-20, 10:37
Could it be that your server loses players from time to time?

Could be. There are certain actions, like a Mixed Tag scan, that cause the server to become unresponsive. It could be something like that.

I'll try to pay more attention to what's going on with the server if this happens again.

There have been issues like that with some server versions, don't remember which ones it were.
If iPeng is still running in the background and a player is dropped, it selects another one and I believe there is a bigger threshold for dropping the "iPeng" player because as long as it's not playing, that one will _always_ disconnect when iPeng goes to the background so iPeng doesn't immediately drop it to avoid it being deselected every time.

I'd rather the iPod player not be selected in this case. Is it possible to remove the iPod from the list of players? The novelty has worn off.

pippin
2011-03-20, 10:54
Settings->iPeng Settings->Enable Playback

Kuben72
2011-03-20, 15:21
This is a bit off topic, but is it possible to see what the other players are playing with iPeng? I mean a sort of list of the players with the song/radio they are playing right now beside the players name?

kidstypike
2011-03-20, 15:26
This is a bit off topic, but is it possible to see what the other players are playing with iPeng? I mean a sort of list of the players with the song/radio they are playing right now beside the players name?

Doesn't iPeng already do this? - swipe right from the 'Now playing' screen.

garym
2011-03-20, 15:27
Doesn't iPeng already do this? - swipe left from the 'Now playing' screen.

yes, it does for me (or even what was last playing when I stopped that particular player)

pippin
2011-03-20, 15:39
Doesn't iPeng already do this? - swipe right from the 'Now playing' screen.
Indeed. See "Help->Quick Tutorials->Now Playing".

Kuben72
2011-03-20, 15:47
Thank you. I hadn't found that one.

y12345678
2011-03-31, 17:24
My 3G connection does have enough bandwith. So would you please remove the restriction of

When you use iPeng playback outside a WiFi network, over the cellular network, the “lossless” formats FLAC and ALAC will not be available to limit the bandwidth requirements. In this case, your server will have to support transcoding to MP3, which generally requires more processing power than FLAC encoding and you will have to have the necessary encoding software installed.

pippin
2011-03-31, 18:03
My 3G connection does have enough bandwith. So would you please remove the restriction of

I can't. It's a restriction imposed by Apple ("Rule 9.3"). An App must not use more than 128 kbps for audio streaming over cellular (the exact rule is to not use more than 5MB over 5min but if you do the maths you'll see that's about the same)

I believe it's a legathy thing that dates back to when AT&T's network could not handle it but they keep throwing Apps out of the App store for violating the rule.

Please complain to Apple if you don't like it.

nervoteso
2012-05-02, 04:50
is there a way to listen to flac by 3g cellular network?

pippin
2012-05-02, 07:56
is there a way to listen to flac by 3g cellular network?

You mean untranscoded?
If your network is up to it: yes.
Just go to "Bitrate Limiting" in "Player settings" and disable the bitrate limit for 3G.

Don't expect to get a very stable connection, though, while on the move, 3G connections can be temperamental.

Honva
2013-02-15, 13:11
Pippin,

Just want to say thank you for the good work. I was using ipeng when it was just an plugin for the squeezebox server and when your ipod app first came out, I bought that since the first version. When you first added the playback function, I didn't think that was very useful as I was mainly using the ipod for controlling all my other squeezebox devices. Recently, I found out that Logitech had discontinued the squeezebox line and I can no longer get any squeezebox in my local area or anywhere in the world for a "reasonable" price. After days of search, I realised that ipeng may be able to turn an ipod into a squeezebox receiver. I then pulled out my old 1st generation ipod and enabled the ipeng playback option. When I connected it through a charging line out cable to my Audiolab amp, the quality is surprisingly good! Sound quality of Flac playback is as good as a mid-level CD player. Better yet, on the server, it appeared as just another squeezebox player that I could control remotely.

Now, I no longer need to worry about not able to get another squeezebox hardware. When I need a new player, just get an ipod and pick a nice dock or connection to fit the need. Much more freedom for hardware combination. To me, Logitech had just handed over one of their great product to Apple. Squeezebox becomes SqueezePod.

pippin
2013-02-15, 19:44
Thank you! Good to hear you like it :)

Squeezebox becomes SqueezePod.

Hey, don't tell Apple ;) You know that SqueezeCast was once called "SqueezePod" and had to change the name upon request from Apple? "Pod" is forbidden in any names as of Apple, not only on the App Store...

blowers
2013-06-29, 05:06
Hi. I love iPeng, but I can't play my WMA (not lossless) music files on it whatever I do in settings. Yet the 8-player app will. And it will play FLAC lossless without stuttering, which iPeng player won't, either. I am streaming on my LAN, and music is on a QNAP 212 NAS. I know I must have a setting wrong SOMEWHERE in LMS 7.7.2 but can't work out where! Or is iPeng player simply not able to play any WMA files? Sorry if there's not enough info here - let me know what else you need from me (if anything).

Thanks in advance for your patience - I'd love to get this sorted because I'd rather use the iPeng playback function (as I've already bought it!!)... Thanks - Malc.

toby10
2013-06-29, 06:08
I don't use iPeng but looks like WMA is not supported. LMS server can transcode WMA to FLAC or MP3 but requires a plugin and a decently powered server.

Search "WMA" on this page for a better explanation: http://penguinlovesmusic.de/2011/03/18/new-ipeng-versions-update-playback-change-discount-model/

ralphy
2013-06-30, 04:40
I don't use iPeng but looks like WMA is not supported. LMS server can transcode WMA to FLAC or MP3 but requires a plugin and a decently powered server.

Search "WMA" on this page for a better explanation: http://penguinlovesmusic.de/2011/03/18/new-ipeng-versions-update-playback-change-discount-model/

My experience with this setup for any software player including ipeng is that lms will transcoder the wma stream to flac, with the help of PlayWMA plugin, but will not honor the bit rate limiting setting and send flac to the player regardless.

I use this patch for LMS 7.8 (http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?95469-Patch-to-enable-WMA-bitrate-limiting-for-software-players) in my setup to make it work.

pippin
2013-06-30, 09:06
FLAC stuttering should not be but WMA is not supported by iPeng, indeed.
What was the player that supports it?

WMA on iOS is difficult. MS wants a minimum annual fee of 20K$ for the codec and the free codecs that are around all have incompatible licenses to the App Store, so it's hard.

As toby and ralphy already said: converting to FLAC on the server should work, but I would NOT use it with bitrate limiting on the QNAP, I doubt it has the power for that.

FLAC should work fine, though, unless you set a bitrate limit. FLAC stuttering should always mean your WiFi connection is not stable (I have one router where I can't get any higher bitrate streams to work, TV doesn't work either; it's a brand new router, these things are not completely uncommon).

Could you give me more details about the FLAC files that stutter and about the setup?

blowers
2013-07-01, 05:15
FLAC stuttering should not be but WMA is not supported by iPeng, indeed.
What was the player that supports it?

WMA on iOS is difficult. MS wants a minimum annual fee of 20K$ for the codec and the free codecs that are around all have incompatible licenses to the App Store, so it's hard.

As toby and ralphy already said: converting to FLAC on the server should work, but I would NOT use it with bitrate limiting on the QNAP, I doubt it has the power for that.

FLAC should work fine, though, unless you set a bitrate limit. FLAC stuttering should always mean your WiFi connection is not stable (I have one router where I can't get any higher bitrate streams to work, TV doesn't work either; it's a brand new router, these things are not completely uncommon).

Could you give me more details about the FLAC files that stutter and about the setup?

Hi Pippin. The player that supports wma is the 8Player, and I got the free lite version to try from the i-Tunes store. The 8Player plays FLAC without stuttering at all, even over 3G. AND it has just played a WMA track (VBR approx. 304 KBPS) over 3G (wireless off on my iPhone) - just tested it again to make sure!

As for the flac file detail, I'll give just one example. Because WMA Lossless wouldn't play from my QNAP server to my SB receiver in the lounge, I converted several hundred WMAL files to FLAC with dbpoweramp. I see a bitrate on this Led Zep track of 941 KBPS (VBR) - sample rate 44.1 kHZ, 16 bit. I have set bitrate limiting to 128 KBPS on the iPhone player with small buffer. Weirdly I just double-checked this again, and the song ran perfectly for about 30 secs before stuttering unlistenably. I quit iPeng, then restarted with the same track 'loaded'. This time it stuttered awfully from the start and barely played at all. Settings as described above.

These FLACS are playing from my music folder on a QNAP 212. The LMS package (v7.7.2) on the QNAP was installed from the QPKG centre, so it was packaged for the QNAP if not an official, fully QNAP-supported iteration.

At least these FLACS play fine through the hi-fi downstairs. Hope you can shed some light on this for me! Cheers, Malc. WAIT - LATE-BREAKING NEWS!

If only I had read your answer with my head in less of a spin: I just turned bitrate limiting OFF for the iPhone player and, of course, the FLAC plays perfectly!! Dohh... thanks so much for your patient help!

pippin
2013-07-01, 07:32
Yes, that makes sense.
The QNAP will not be powerful enough to transcode, so bitrate limiting doesn't work.
The raw FLAC files can just be played so it works there, too.

I would give the PlayWMA plugin a try. DEcoding WMA will require less power than ENcoding mp3 (which is what the server does for bitrate limiting) so it might in fact work.

I briefly looked at 8player and let's say I would not be surprised if they just used ffmpeg without caring about the license violation. I don't know that, yet, so please don't assume I'm accusing somebody, they might just as well have bought a license from Microsoft or licensed the patents and implemented their own codec....

The other alternative could be that your DLNA server is able to transcode the WMA.