PDA

View Full Version : SB Classic shuts down when connecting

Guy48065
2011-02-06, 07:56
Every time I cycle the power it gets to the "Obtaining an IP Address" then shuts off. I also have a Duet remote and when I turn that on it tells me there's an update available for the SB, hold down the Brightness button, etc (why doesn't the SB tell me this itself???). I do what it zez and it looks like an update is being installed but again when it gets to the server connection it dies. What's going on here? Has the update killed my firmware?

I'm just a basic user so please don't use big confusing terms :)

sebp
2011-02-06, 08:06
May sound too obvious, but have you checked that brightness is not set at its lowest value (i.e. off) on the Classic?
AFAIK, this setting only applies when the Squeezebox is connected to its server, which could explain why you see some startup messages...

Guy48065
2011-02-06, 09:14
That may have been the case. I tried once again--this time I watched it closely (bad eyes--that's why I have the Duet remote). The update progress bar was very dim so at some point I hit the Brightness button & it came on full. It seems to have completed the steps and I again have tunes.
I didn't actually DO anything so I don't understand why it started playing this time but not the previous 8 attempts?

How clever to initiate the update with the Brightness button. [/sarc]

Now on to figure out why I haven't been able to access XM recently...

garym
2011-02-06, 09:16
Now on to figure out why I haven't been able to access XM recently...

you'll find your xm solution here (near the end of the thread).

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=85419

sebp
2011-02-06, 15:27
How clever to initiate the update with the Brightness button. [/sarc]
The Classic offers this option in its low-level setup menu (that you access by pressing and holding the left arrow for around 5 seconds): Current Settings > Auto upgrade.
Just switch its value from "off" to "on", and it will perform future firmware upgrades without waiting for someone to press and hold the Brightness key.
Go back to the root level of the setup menu, and you'll find options to connect back to your Squeezebox Server or mysqueezebox.com.

I've been using this option for years on my Classic and Transporter, it's safe.

Guy48065
2011-02-06, 15:40
you'll find your xm solution here (near the end of the thread).

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=85419

Which has led me to a new problem. I jumped through the latest XM online hoops and it does work...BUT...now it kicks me out after about an hour of play. "Stream stopped. You are no longer authorized to listen"
It's done this all afternoon and was never an issue previously.
I haven't been the happiest customer since XM starting charging extra for the online service and this isn't helping at all.

Guy48065
2011-02-06, 15:42
The Classic offers this option in its low-level setup menu (that you access by pressing and holding the left arrow for around 5 seconds): Current Settings > Auto upgrade.
Just switch its value from "off" to "on", and it will perform future firmware upgrades without waiting for someone to press and hold the Brightness key.
Go back to the root level of the setup menu, and you'll find options to connect back to your Squeezebox Server or mysqueezebox.com.

I've been using this option for years on my Classic and Transporter, it's safe.

Thanks for the tip. I've enabled it.