PDA

View Full Version : Some setup help please

Koensk
2011-02-05, 13:44
Hi all.
I have myself a SB Duet + Boom. Saving all my files using I-tunes incl. library database on a Synology Nas 109+.
Most of all works ok, but I have my doubts about the I-tunes plugin that squeezeserver offers. It scanned my library fine, but there where a few albums that where not scanned for an unknown reason and therefore not shown in Squeezeserver.
So I switched of the Itunes plugin and gone back scanning my music map manually by squeezeserver it self. But know I end up with a music collection that somewhat differer from my I-tunes way of sorting things. Also my album art is now a complete (an incomplete) mess.

So...
My main question is:
I have my self only a 300 albums on my NAS
Using Itunes (but if I better use another piece of software.. fine by me)
Running Squeezebox server 7.5.3.

How to handle so I can organise my music library on my pc and everything looks nice need and smooth inside squuezeserver? Incl Album art.

I would be very great-full as i'm trying to find a good solution for over a year now.

Thanks in advance for any reply

garym
2011-02-05, 15:25
Hi all.
I have myself a SB Duet + Boom. Saving all my files using I-tunes incl. library database on a Synology Nas 109+.
Most of all works ok, but I have my doubts about the I-tunes plugin that squeezeserver offers. It scanned my library fine, but there where a few albums that where not scanned for an unknown reason and therefore not shown in Squeezeserver.
So I switched of the Itunes plugin and gone back scanning my music map manually by squeezeserver it self. But know I end up with a music collection that somewhat differer from my I-tunes way of sorting things. Also my album art is now a complete (an incomplete) mess.

So...
My main question is:
I have my self only a 300 albums on my NAS
Using Itunes (but if I better use another piece of software.. fine by me)
Running Squeezebox server 7.5.3.

How to handle so I can organise my music library on my pc and everything looks nice need and smooth inside squuezeserver? Incl Album art.

I would be very great-full as i'm trying to find a good solution for over a year now.

Thanks in advance for any reply

are any of the missing CDs on squeezeboxserver purchased on ITUNES when they still had DRM (protected). These won't show up in SqueezeboxServer.

I recommend that you don't select the "use itunes" option in SqueezeboxServer. Instead just tell it in the settings where your music library is located, and have it do a clear and rescan.

p.s. if you ripped your cds with itunes, the artwork is not embedded in the files. Rather it is in a special ITUNES database. There are some free and cheap programs that can automatically take the artwork from the itunes database and embed into the files so that other programs (including Squeezebox Server) can see the art. Google for "icoverart" and search this forum for "embed artwork itunes" for some options.

Koensk
2011-02-06, 06:30
Thanks garym for your reply.
I now downloaded Icoverart and even payed to register. Now only waiting for my key so I can activate the program. Seems to work proper and easy so think I will manage now.
A shame that the Itunes plugin in Squeezecenter doesnt work as it should be, but maybe this way with Icover is a good solution.

Also wondering if it would be a good thing to upgrade my NAS, as this 109+ is not the fastest. Any idea which NAS would be an improvement? QNAP or Synology? Or would I be better of buying myself an Ipad or something?

Thanks again for your support

garym
2011-02-06, 06:41
an Ipad is not a replacement for your NAS. It won't run SqueezeboxServer, which is what you need. (although the ipad will run ipeng or squeezepad which are excellent controllers for your SB system!)

I'm not a fan of NAS's. High price and low power. I started with a READYNAS DUO, and although it worked, the interface (browsing artists, albums, etc.) was painfully slow. There are some higher powered NAS's (which is what you need if you want a NAS). But I'm a fan of either a Vortexbox Appliance (if you want plug and play) or just taking any old $100 used computer and install the free Vortexbox system on it. This will be a nice, powerful server, and will also let you store files on your network, just like a NAS. Search this forum on "vortexbox" (which is just a user friendly front end for a linux system). Again, it's easy!

But if you want a NAS, search these forums for discussions on various NAS units, ec.

edit: p.s. the itunes integration will work and does for many. but seems to have quirks. perhaps the fact that you are running on a NAS is what causes your problem with itunes integration. If you ran on a vortexbox appliance, I suspect you could use itunes integration with no issues. But I'm not a fan of itunes integration as I don't see any upside other than using itunes playlists. But for me that is not an issue because I'm using FLAC files anyhow in SbS. I just use a mirror set of files converted to Mp3 for my itunes/ipods.

Koensk
2011-02-06, 11:32
Thanks again for your quick respond.
I will read myself into vortexbox and than maybe place an old pc to run it.

Kind regards

Koen

garym
2011-02-06, 11:37
you can download the ISO here.

http://vortexbox.org/downloads/

create a CD from this and install into an old PC via the CD drive. It will totally wipe the harddrive of the PC so make sure you have copies of files you want to save.

Koensk
2011-02-08, 01:01
Ok I got myself an old pc. Installed voretexbox on it and it all seems to work. I am able to connect to the voretexbox via network under windows. And I can get to the menu of the box by typing the ip adres under firefox. So far so good.

The only problem I have is that I don't get to copy my music files from my nas to the voretex box. Windows give me the error that I don't have the rights to make the action.
Is there a way to login with putty and give the copy command in linux. I think I have to login as root, but with windows explorer I don't know how to do that.

I tried googling for a solution but it's really hard finding the right information.

Though I noticed squeezeserver interface is running much faster under voretexbox ;-). Now it's waiting for the music :-)

garym
2011-02-08, 05:19
You have to be a bit careful. You may be trying to copy the files to the wrong directory. It can be confusing with the vortexbox.

The folder you add music to is \\vortexbox\files\music\flac
Notice this is DIFFERENT than the directory you point SbS to for reading the files (this is \\vortexbox\music\flac). Notice the "files" subdirectory in the first case that is not in the second.

Also note that if you have mp3 or AAC files (with no flac counterpart), you'll still want these to be in the FLAC subdirectory. What I do is have the following directory structure on my vortexbox

files/music/flac > flac files
files/music/flac/mp3_AAC_only > this subdirectory holds all my nonflac files where I have no Flac counterpart

note that: files/music/mp3 subdirectories are your MIRROR of flac files from files/music/flac directory.

See this FAQ:
http://vortexbox.org/documentation/how-do-i-copy-my-existing-flac-files-to-my-vortexbox/

Koensk
2011-02-08, 05:53
Pfff that was it. I tried to copy to the wrong directory. Pasting to files\music\flac did the trick. Scanning and running squeezeserver now works ok.
Again many thanks for your support Garym. I really appreciate it.

garym
2011-02-08, 05:57
Pfff that was it. I tried to copy to the wrong directory. Pasting to files\music\flac did the trick. Scanning and running squeezeserver now works ok.
Again many thanks for your support Garym. I really appreciate it.

Great. I think you'll like the Vortexbox approach.