PDA

View Full Version : Recent SB3 Firmware problems

Philip Meyer
2011-02-01, 01:16
I've recently been noticing new issues with my SB3, which I think must relate to a recent firmware update. I think this also applies to Boom firmware, but haven't confirmed this yet.

My problem is that the SB3 seems to get stuck in the Setup workflow steps:

1. Sometimes if I turn off/hibernate my server, SB3 permanently shows the bright-screen message to say it is trying to reconnect.
2. If SBS is turned off when SB3 restarts, it gets stuck on the "obtaining an IP address" bright-screen message.

In both cases, the message remains on the screen permanently - it used to be dispayed for a short time and then go blank. I cannot press left-arrow to go back and attempt to connect to something else. The only command that is recognised is a long-power press to reboot, and force it into settings to change connection before it gets stuck trying to reconnect to the previously used server.

Looking back through recent checkins to 7.5.x, SVN revision 31713 included the last firmware update; the checkin comment simply said:

r75678@macbookpro (orig r31711): andy | 2011-01-05 00:11:03 -0500
Updated firmware

So I don't know what was changed in this firmware.

Is anyone else experiencing this? It's quite annoying, as I use the SB3 in my bedroom, and the message display is really bright, with no way to turn it off (at least when there was a problem in the past, the screen would blank, and the box would be responsive to right-arrow to try again or left-arrow to go back).

Phil

russelc
2011-02-01, 04:02
I had a similar experience just after I applied the latest firmware update to en SB3. In my case the 'Cannot connect to server' message kept flashing up very briefly once my systen had hibernated, Strangely it was doing this at completely random intervals. I solved my issue by rebooting my router.

Hope this helps you in some way.

toby10
2011-02-01, 06:01
1. Sometimes if I turn off/hibernate my server, SB3 permanently shows the bright-screen message to say it is trying to reconnect.
2. If SBS is turned off when SB3 restarts, it gets stuck on the "obtaining an IP address" bright-screen message.....

1. I don't use hibernate, can't help you there
2. Not seeing that on my SB3, in any scenario my SB3 correctly gets an IP
- turn off SBS while SB3 is playing
- power off/on SB3 via remote with no SBS running
- cut power to SB3 with no SBS running

All correctly show "cannot connect to server" but I maintain full SB3 functions and can back arrow to Setup and switch to MySB.

Seems very strange that SBS not being present would have any effect on your SB3 not being able to obtain an IP.

Sike
2011-02-01, 09:09
My SB3s are are "Trying to connect to Squeezeserver" since the last update. The Radios seem to be fine.

Philip Meyer
2011-02-01, 16:33
>I had a similar experience just after I applied the latest firmware
>update to en SB3. In my case the 'Cannot connect to server' message
>kept flashing up very briefly once my systen had hibernated, Strangely
>it was doing this at completely random intervals. I solved my issue by
>rebooting my router.
>
I haven't rebooted my router in a long time, so I'll try that and see if the SB3 behaves itself better. Just seems coincidental that it happened recently, following a firmware update.

bwaldron
2011-02-01, 16:35
My SB3s are are "Trying to connect to Squeezeserver" since the last update. The Radios seem to be fine.

Seeing the same thing on my SB3 post-update.

Philip Meyer
2011-02-01, 16:51
>Seeing the same thing on my SB3 post-update.
Do you find that you cannot press left-arrow to get back to setup menu to try changing connection settings?

Sike
2011-02-02, 08:47
I have rebooted everything. Still the same old message "Can't connect to server..."

This is a first. I have never had problems with the SB3s before.

jo-wie
2011-02-03, 05:09
I had a similiar issue a few days ago. Started system from standby and the player showed every few seconds a short flashing cannot connect to server message and the screensaver did not activate. After a while it disconnects completly and the screen does not go blank. I had to restart the server. Sorry I did not check if I could press the left arrow.

A not blanking screen I had also some time ago, but I didn't take care about because the SB3 is connected to the switched power sockest of my Amp.

I had the same with the 7.5.3 beta after update. I did restart everything and it was fine.

mn283
2011-02-11, 03:32
I've recently been noticing new issues with my SB3, which I think must relate to a recent firmware update. I think this also applies to Boom firmware, but haven't confirmed this yet.

My problem is that the SB3 seems to get stuck in the Setup workflow steps:

2. If SBS is turned off when SB3 restarts, it gets stuck on the "obtaining an IP address" bright-screen message.

In both cases, the message remains on the screen permanently - it used to be dispayed for a short time and then go blank. I cannot press left-arrow to go back and attempt to connect to something else. The only command that is recognised is a long-power press to reboot, and force it into settings to change connection before it gets stuck trying to reconnect to the previously used server.

Looking back through recent checkins to 7.5.x, SVN revision 31713 included the last firmware update; the checkin comment simply said:

r75678@macbookpro (orig r31711): andy | 2011-01-05 00:11:03 -0500
Updated firmware

So I don't know what was changed in this firmware.

Is anyone else experiencing this? It's quite annoying, as I use the SB3 in my bedroom, and the message display is really bright, with no way to turn it off (at least when there was a problem in the past, the screen would blank, and the box would be responsive to right-arrow to try again or left-arrow to go back).

Phil

I am seeing exactly the same. SB3 in kitchen and bedroom and sits saying cant connect to server ? Also my WOL alarm seems to have stopped working ?!

doubleugk
2011-02-11, 14:26
I'm using a SB Classic, which if I'm right equals the SB3, since 2 days. My SBS is shutting down every night and starts automatically in the morning. Because I've installed the synology package 7.5.3, this one starts in the morning and the FW version for SB3 is 132. I've run a test and shut down the SBS, to see if the SB3 behaves strange. Everything is working correct. I'm prompted to select left or middle arrow. And there is a response. If I do not do anything, just wait, it takes a few minutes, maybe 3 and the display goes dark. With SSODS 4.11, SBS 7.6.0 and FW 135 the same.

Philip Meyer
2011-02-12, 06:56
>I haven't rebooted my router in a long time, so I'll try that and see if the SB3 behaves itself better. Just seems coincidental that it happened recently, following a firmware update.
Well, I rebooted router and PC, and it seemed to be behaving itself for a week.

However, this morning the SB3 got stuck again.

For some reason, SBS seemed to die overnight (no error message, process just died). This morning I noticed the disconnected message on my SB3, which was permanently displayed. I could not left-arrow to get to setup and try to reconnect, or select to connect to mysqueezebox.com. I had to hard-reset player.

Irrespective of what state my Router or SBS is, the player should handle errors, and allow me to get to setup screen to connect to a different source.

It has been fine (apart from the extremely bright disconnected message that disobeys my brightness setting and stays up too long) until the last firmware update.

Phil

mn283
2011-02-15, 13:10
I have a head less pc running for squeezeserver and set to install Microsoft updates when released (second Tues or Thus of each month) generaly it ok and sb3 is dark, but on updates being installed SS does not restart correctly until I reboot the server and hold the power button on the remote for the SB3's....

Kuben72
2011-02-15, 14:14
I have from time to time seen the message "unable to connect to Squeezebox server...." and the for a few seconds the screen is blank and then everything returns to normal. It never happens when it is playing. Only when it is turned off.
This behaviour started after the upgrade to the latest firmware on my SB3.