PDA

View Full Version : iPeng roadmap poll

pippin
2011-01-27, 07:30
OK, the main task for now - preparing a playback for iPeng - is done and waiting Apple's approval so I want to follow bluegaspode's example and ask users for opinions on a few new developments for iPeng.

This will not be exclusive - I have a few other things I really find cool and that are to a large part already developed and that will definitely come, but I don't want to talk about these.

But for some other aspects I would like to understand the priorities of my users.
I'll also deliberately mix iPhone and iPad developments here since both require effort and if 10 people want something done on iPad it may be more important than 5 people wanting something on iPhone.

So here it is, I will cluster things a bit:
User Interface on iPhone
There are a few items (for now, suggestions welcome) in this area, both centering around "making iPeng more simple". Generally, making things more simple usually comes at the price of making it less efficient to use or by dropping functionality so this would certainly be an option - but probably the default one.

* New "Non-Swipe" User Interface for the "NowPlaying" screen on iPhone. Some people are confused with having to swipe to access the different "subpages" on the NowPlaying screen. The price for this will probably be to add new/other buttons (other ideas welcome) to the NowPlaying screen to bring up the player selection and the current playlist. CP would probably work like on SqueezePlay, player selection instead of the trash can.

* New "SqueezePlay like" menu operation. This would drop the iPeng specifics in that tapping artwork would no longer play the album and there would no longer be "playback modes" but only SP's default action would be used. Oh, and "play shuffled" would fall away.
Main drawback would be that without "Party Mode" there will be more actions doing "destructive play" by default and it will be harder to build playlists.

* Main player controls permanently accessible. Even from the content menus. Sonos does this and sonos users seem to love it yet so far I thought this is a bad idea because it will inevitably take away space. Sonos drops the quick access "Tab Bar" items for it so you always have to go through the main menu and actually I believe this is probably the only way to really find enough space so my suggestion would include this, too.

* Smaller and lower resolution (on Iphone 4) artwork. The bigger artwork used by iPeng comes at an initial performance penalty when you use slow servers. This goes away once the artwork has been loaded once and also it will probably go away with SBS 7.6 but right now it's there. Is this important to you?

New Main Screen UI for iPad
OK, this will happen anyway since I was never happy with the overall look of that screen in iPeng for iPad but I would like to understand how to prioritize it.
Will not give details other than that it's exciting and will look different between portrait and landscape modes :)

Synchronization
This is another one of the things I probably will do anyway, just want to understand how important it is to people. The idea is to have synchronization "scenes" that you can save and re-activate. This will make synchronization setup more effort (if dig into it you'll find there's quite a few decisions to take her) but after you've done that, selecting synchronization may be a bit more straightforward. It's not actually faster but it's easier to understand.

@other developers: If you are reading this and if you are going to implement something like this, too, please let's talk. What I'm planning to do will work with several devices without requiring a plugin (but probably not on MySB; not that syncing makes much sense on MySB) and it would make so little sense to have different solutions for this, so that you will have to define your sync groups twice.
My current plan is to just implement it and then to document how it works in a bug on bugs.slimdevices.com.

Additional Functionality
If you are happy with iPeng looks like now and would prefer additional features instead, here's your chance to tell me what that would be.

Jeff Flowerday
2011-01-27, 07:56
I love it. In fact I wish iPeng for iPad had swipe playlist access instead of the button.

fphredd
2011-01-27, 07:57
Hitting album cover to play full album is so simple, even my wife smiled on the first try...

maggior
2011-01-27, 08:00
Frankly, I'm happy with the iPeng is now. If you make changes to the "swiping", will it be configurable so you can continue to use it that way?

One enhancement I'd like to see is making it possible to see small thumbnails of the ablum artwork when looking at the tracks in a playlist. This would be useful when examining a playlist of shuffled tracks. If not artwork, perhaps the album title/artist could be included in the track listing.

The controller does this (thumbnail artowork in tracklisting) and I find that I miss it on iPeng.

I'm looking foward to what you've cooked up in the release that is awaiting Apple's approval :-).

maggior
2011-01-27, 08:01
Hitting album cover to play full album is so simple, even my wife smiled on the first try...

I like that feature too and would miss it.

pippin
2011-01-27, 08:21
Frankly, I'm happy with the iPeng is now. If you make changes to the "swiping", will it be configurable so you can continue to use it that way?

Definitely. The old UI would stay as a whole as "Advanced UI".

ddewey
2011-01-27, 08:46
> SYNCHRONIZATION
> This is another one of the things I probably will do anyway, just want
> to understand how important it is to people. The idea is to have
> synchronization "scenes" that you can save and re-activate. This will
> make synchronization setup more effort (if dig into it you'll find
> there's quite a few decisions to take her) but after you've done that,
> selecting synchronization may be a bit more straightforward. It's not
> actually faster but it's easier to understand.

I don't sync very often, but when I do I find it tricky and
difficult to figure out between the various UIs (web, iPeng).
Probably that's because I do it so infrequently I have to relearn it
each time, but a sychronization 'scene' seems to make a lot of sense
to me. I'm pretty much always going to want to sync the same players
in the same way, so jumping through a lot of hoops to do that each
time doesn't make a lot of sense.

+1.

peterw
2011-01-27, 09:39
Have you looked at The Synchronizer? It sounds like you have much the same goal. Perhaps you & Eric could agree on some way to track settings, like another pref file. Both of you could subscribe to pref change events in order to know when a user made changes?

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=51760

fuzzyT
2011-01-27, 10:08
I don't think I'm interested in any of the first four changes. They all
seem like compromises to make things simpler for a novice user. I'm not
a novice user, and I don't want to lose functionality.

I do use both the iPhone and iPad iPeng versions.

The New Main Screen for iPad is intruiging, but not knowing specifics,
it's hard to root for it being first in line.

I run a multi-room system with various sync'ing scenarios, so I'd have
to think that the sync scene feature would be the most useful for me.

Thanks!

Rick B.
2011-01-27, 10:16
iPeng as player, please. That will change my life!

luga00
2011-01-27, 11:03
I'm constantly looking at the App update screen in the hope that iPeng as a player has been implemented.

maggior
2011-01-27, 11:25
I'm constantly looking at the App update screen in the hope that iPeng as a player has been implemented.

You can use another app as a player - squeezecast. I've found it to work quite well. The app is cheap - cheaper than iPeng.

pippin
2011-01-27, 11:57
iPeng as player, please. That will change my life!

Um... As I said in my first sentence: that one us now ready and just waiting for App Store approval.

erland
2011-01-27, 11:58
User Interface on iPhone
There are a few items (for now, suggestions welcome) in this area, both centering around "making iPeng more simple". Generally, making things more simple usually comes at the price of making it less efficient to use or by dropping functionality so this would certainly be an option - but probably the default one.

I don't want simple, I want effective and full of features.

Synchronization
This is another one of the things I probably will do anyway, just want to understand how important it is to people. The idea is to have synchronization "scenes" that you can save and re-activate. This will make synchronization setup more effort (if dig into it you'll find there's quite a few decisions to take her) but after you've done that, selecting synchronization may be a bit more straightforward. It's not actually faster but it's easier to understand.

@other developers: If you are reading this and if you are going to implement something like this, too, please let's talk. What I'm planning to do will work with several devices without requiring a plugin (but probably not on MySB; not that syncing makes much sense on MySB) and it would make so little sense to have different solutions for this, so that you will have to define your sync groups twice.
My current plan is to just implement it and then to document how it works in a bug on bugs.slimdevices.com.

It would be great with a solution where I could define sync groups/scenes once and then use them in all interfaces. It doesn't have to work in all interfaces from the start, but it would be great with a solution which stored the sync groups/scenes centrally where also other plugins/applets can access them.

I basically just want to:
1. Select where to play stuff
2. Select what to play

Should be two simple operations. I don't need to be able to sync individual players, I want to define the sync groups I use in advance and then just select a sync group and start playing music on it. I realize it can get complicated when you allow a player to be part of two sync groups but I think most people only need to:
- Select to play something on an individual player
- Select to play something in a predefined group of players

When I select to play something on a group of players, I basically want all overlapping groups to stop playing music and instead start playing music in the group I've selected. Individual players outside the selected group that played music should of course continue to play the previous music as long as they weren't part of the selected sync group. If I select an individual player in a group and select to play something else, it stops the music in the group and only plays the new stuff on the individual player.

I think most people will have a fairly small set of groups. For example:
- Whole house
- Bottom floor
- Upper floor

The issue I have with synchronization is that it really only gets simple if you have players with built-in speakers. For players like the Classic or Touch I still need to use a separate IR remote to turn on the amplifier so it's never going to be as simple as I want. The only solution to make it good with players without built-in speakers would be if iPeng implemented some kind of multi room IR blaster functionality. However, I suspect this is a bit outside the current scope.

Still, I can't really say that synchronization is an important feature for me personally.

Additional Functionality
If you are happy with iPeng looks like now and would prefer additional features instead, here's your chance to tell me what that would be.

I want artist images, both in the menus and especially in the now playing screen, can be automatically retrieved from LastFM web services or similar online sites.

pippin
2011-01-27, 12:00
Have you looked at The Synchronizer? It sounds like you have much the same goal. Perhaps you & Eric could agree on some way to track settings, like another pref file. Both of you could subscribe to pref change events in order to know when a user made changes?

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=51760

Yes, that would indeed be good. I want this to work without the need for a plugin but the plugin would still be very useful for all other UIs. Plus it does a bit more than just defining sync groups.

And yes, having this interoperable definitely makes sense.

)p(
2011-01-27, 12:29
I love the current ui so all good there.

What I really would like to see is copy and paste support in the context menu's. Think for example of copying an artist name from the biography plugin, lastfm plugin etc. You could then paste it in a spotify search. Or in another app like wikipedia. I think it might also be cool to be able to open links in an embedded version of safari. But the main thing for me is to be able to copy and paste.

erland
2011-01-27, 12:37
I love the current ui so all good there.

What I really would like to see is copy and paste support in the context menu's. Think for example of copying an artist name from the biography plugin, lastfm plugin etc. You could then paste it in a spotify search. Or in another app like wikipedia. I think it might also be cool to be able to open links in an embedded version of safari. But the main thing for me is to be able to copy and paste.

I would prefer a "Search on" context menu for artists on the Biography plugin, but if that isn't possible it would be nice with copy+paste.

pippin
2011-01-27, 12:53
Copy & Paste is indeed a nice idea. Would somebody file a ticket for that?

Thanks!

Raiden2001
2011-01-27, 13:28
I want artist images, both in the menus and especially in the now playing screen, can be automatically retrieved from LastFM web services or similar online sites.
Great idea +1
Maybe an optional swipe menu with artist screen and/or lyrics screen? This would be much nicer than accessing the pages via context menu.

epoch1970
2011-01-27, 13:52
I voted for a new UI for the iPad main screen.
I can't vote against a suggestion but surely I would hate to see swiping disappear. More gestures and less buttons. This is not a computerů
Another Kind Of Blue, if possible.

I don't know if this makes sense, but could ipeng use the microphone in the iphone/ipad to support some sort of audio correction plugin ?

)p(
2011-01-27, 15:00
I would prefer a "Search on" context menu for artists on the Biography plugin, but if that isn't possible it would be nice with copy+paste.

Me too. I asked the author of it already and he had no interest at this time to add it. The great thing about copy+paste it can be useful with lots of plugins.

)p(
2011-01-27, 15:03
Copy & Paste is indeed a nice idea. Would somebody file a ticket for that?

Thanks!

Done, ticket nr. 312

pippin
2011-01-27, 15:22
Another Kind Of Blue, if possible.

sh...
Sorry, THAT was the other alternative I wanted to have in the poll and that I forgot about: different color scheme...

I don't know if this makes sense, but could ipeng use the microphone in the iphone/ipad to support some sort of audio correction plugin ?

No experience with that. Would that even work?

spedinfargo
2011-01-27, 16:35
One thing that I would like to see is a VERY simple favorites or "presets" screen that you could have shown when iPeng starts.

For instance, as soon as you start iPeng, show a 4x4 grid worth of buttons that you could assign something to, kind of like a preset on the Radio.

Each button could have a player and favorite assigned to it: Nursery -> Lullabies. Home -> Mom's Favorites. Could also maybe assign a little icon to it.

When one of the buttons is pressed, it goes into Ipeng as normal (Now Playing screen). There could be a button to go from this Favorites window into Now Playing.

Of course, this could be an option that could be disabled.

This would be KILLER for my wife as far as usability goes... Right now she's intimidated by iPeng...

Philip Meyer
2011-01-27, 17:43
>I'll also deliberately mix iPhone and iPad developments here since both
>require effort and if 10 people want something done on iPad it may be
>more important than 5 people wanting something on iPhone.
>
I'm using iPeng on iPhone 3G only.

>USER INTERFACE ON IPHONE
>* New "Non-Swipe" User Interface for the "NowPlaying" screen on iPhone.
I quite like the swipes here. No need to remove swipes, even if you do add buttons (like Touch UI).

The only thing I found a bit confusing here is when I turn iPhone to landscape orientation. Swipes don't work (can't get to playlist/player selection). Touching the screen toggles between show/hide info, and also a left-arrow and what looked like right-arrow. I thought maybe these were buttons to get to the playlist and player selection screens, but the left-arrow goes to Browse menus, and the "right-arrow" was actually the play button :-)

>player selection instead of the trash can.
You could just have the trash can button on the playlist screen, doesn't make much sense to me on Now Playing track screen.
Maybe NP screen could have a button to show playlist instead (same as right-swipe).

>* New "SqueezePlay like" menu operation. This would drop the iPeng
>specifics in that tapping artwork would no longer play the album
>
I quite like touch-to-play on album artwork.
A nice enhancement here would be for long-touch on artwork to show options to either Play/Play Next/Add to End for the album (single-touch to do default action). i.e. same interface as for touching a track, but for album context.

>there would no longer be "playback modes" but only SP's default action
>would be used.
>
I don't like that idea. I don't like touch-to-play on songs.

I'd actually like a 4th mode, an "I" symbol for song info, so that default action of touching a song could be set to bring up song info (same as long-touch). i.e. a non-destructive action, to get a list of song actions that can be selected (Play/Play Next/Add to End would be presented). This would provide me with a quicker way to rate tracks that aren't actually playing (something I often want to do on tracks in NP playlist, but it's cumbersome to long-touch each track in turn, scroll down to rating, and select the star rating).

>Oh, and "play shuffled" would fall away.
Not sure how to "play shuffled" at the moment.

>* Main player controls permanently accessible.
Don't like the idea of losing space for browsing. I find it quick enough to touch button to get to NP, and can click Left-Arrow to get back to last browse page.
And when flick-scrolling a browse list, I may accidentally touch the player controls.

>Sonos drops the quick access "Tab Bar" items for it so you always have
>to go through the main menu and actually I believe this is probably the
>only way to really find enough space so my suggestion would include
>this, too.
>
I like the customisable Tab Bar. It looks correct for iPhone styling.

>SYNCHRONIZATION
>This is another one of the things I probably will do anyway, just want
>to understand how important it is to people. The idea is to have
>synchronization "scenes" that you can save and re-activate.
Yes, that would be nice to have.

>ADDITIONAL FUNCTIONALITY
>If you are happy with iPeng looks like now and would prefer additional
>features instead, here's your chance to tell me what that would be.
Can't think of much else at the moment, except I miss not seeing ghosted scrollbar when scrolling long lists. I get it on some lists, but not others. eg. scrollbar shows progress when scrolling through Favorites, but not when scrolling through Browse New Music.

Phil

Philip Meyer
2011-01-27, 17:46
>One enhancement I'd like to see is making it possible to see small
>thumbnails of the ablum artwork when looking at the tracks in a
>playlist. This would be useful when examining a playlist of shuffled
>tracks. If not artwork, perhaps the album title/artist could be
>included in the track listing.
I'd like that too. Maybe then touch song artwork could play song (or if configured, play album starting at this song), and touch song title to bring up Song Info (i.e. shortcut to long-touch for More action) [or the other way round].

Philip Meyer
2011-01-27, 17:49
>SYNCHRONIZATION
>synchronization "scenes" that you can save and re-activate. This will
>make synchronization setup more effort (if dig into it you'll find
>there's quite a few decisions to take her) but after you've done that,
>selecting synchronization may be a bit more straightforward. It's not
>actually faster but it's easier to understand.
Thinking about this again - how would it work? When I sync players, I often add other players to a sync group so that it continues to play the current song, but on additional players.

If there are sync "scenes", what music would be kept in the playlist for the scene?

Philip Meyer
2011-01-27, 18:00
>For instance, as soon as you start iPeng, show a 4x4 grid worth of
>buttons that you could assign something to, kind of like a preset on
>the Radio.
That's a good idea - my wife loves presets, rather than navigating any menus. Just albums or radio stations, I think. Could be 3x3 grid for larger artwork though.

Also, when browsing in album context, an option to toggle small/large artwork mode, and change album sort mode.

Philip Meyer
2011-01-27, 18:01
>I want artist images, both in the menus and especially in the now
>playing screen, can be automatically retrieved from LastFM web services
>or similar online sites.
Not bothered by artist images. Would make artist list longer/slower to flick scroll through, and slow to retrieve artist images.

Phil

pippin
2011-01-27, 18:18
I'd actually like a 4th mode, an "I" symbol for song info, so that default action of touching a song could be set to bring up song info (same as long-touch). i.e. a non-destructive action, to get a list of song actions that can be selected (Play/Play Next/Add to End would be presented). This would provide me with a quicker way to rate tracks that aren't actually playing (something I often want to do on tracks in NP playlist, but it's cumbersome to long-touch each track in turn, scroll down to rating, and select the star rating).

Sniff...
How long have you been with iPeng? Versions 1.0.x had _exactly_ this feature :)
A lot of people found the number of modes too much so I moved the feature to the "long press". Also, this was when Logitech started to settle on the long press for context menus for SqueezePlay.
Oh yes, the good old times...

pippin
2011-01-27, 18:19
Phil,

thanks for the comprehensive feedback!!

pippin
2011-01-27, 18:38
Can't think of much else at the moment, except I miss not seeing ghosted scrollbar when scrolling long lists. I get it on some lists, but not others. eg. scrollbar shows progress when scrolling through Favorites, but not when scrolling through Browse New Music.

Agree. I should probably clean that up.
As it is now I follow Apple's interface guidelines (HIG) which say "don't show the scroll bar whenever there's an index bar.
I'm missing it, too, though so time to deviate from the recommendations...

>One enhancement I'd like to see is making it possible to see small
>thumbnails of the ablum artwork when looking at the tracks in a
>playlist. This would be useful when examining a playlist of shuffled
>tracks. If not artwork, perhaps the album title/artist could be
>included in the track listing.
I'd like that too. Maybe then touch song artwork could play song (or if configured, play album starting at this song), and touch song title to bring up Song Info (i.e. shortcut to long-touch for More action) [or the other way round].
Hm. Here I do have conflicting requests.
Some people want more text (for longer titles), some want images.
I'll see, the image-thingy would be kind of a no-brainer since I did already do one for iPad. Now on iPad there's much more space, though...

>SYNCHRONIZATION
>synchronization "scenes" that you can save and re-activate. This will
>make synchronization setup more effort (if dig into it you'll find
>there's quite a few decisions to take her) but after you've done that,
>selecting synchronization may be a bit more straightforward. It's not
>actually faster but it's easier to understand.
Thinking about this again - how would it work? When I sync players, I often add other players to a sync group so that it continues to play the current song, but on additional players.

If there are sync "scenes", what music would be kept in the playlist for the scene?

I want to counter one notion that is quite ubiquitous here, and that is that sync scenes would make anything _simpler_. They will not.
Sync scenes are kind of simple to understand and to communicate things ("sync all group", "everything on first floor"). But they come at a price:
1. You have to set them up. And here you need to make a lot of decisions, too: Do I want to store volume settings, too? Do I want to drop players that are not part of the group?
2. OK, now you've got them set up now you want to use them. Simple, ey? Just select the group, right? But what do you actually expect to happen then? Erland's suggestion was to use this as a "new target". That won't work with the SB architecture, SBS can only target a player so you will have to establish the sync setting or at least choose a player _before_ playing. If you do it before and we talk about 5 players you are in for four 1s playback interruptions while the other players join...
OK, so you just use it as a sync setting, selecting a scene will configure the sync settings of the players involved. Now what do you play on them? What happens to the others? Do you have a definite master (hard in the SB environment).

No, Sync Scenes might be cool (and looking at the poll they will probably the first thing I do from the list) but they will _not_ make life easier compared to iPeng's current solution.

Here's what I plan to do, though:
1. Setup: You will be able to save a currently active sync setting. You will also be able to only use some of the current players and to exclude others.
You will also be able to say whether you want to also store volume settings.
You can only store _ONE_ group at a time (under one name). This is important for the actual use.
2. Use: You can select a stored group. This will sync all the contained players, unsync others if that was selected and set volume if that was selected. Also, iPeng will ask which of the playlists involved you want to use. Now you are in for your x playback interruptions...

GeeJay
2011-01-27, 19:43

I really didn't like the suggestions in the poll, particularly if it takes away any of the current functionality. I do like this change Phil proposed.

erland
2011-01-27, 23:28
2. OK, now you've got them set up now you want to use them. Simple, ey? Just select the group, right? But what do you actually expect to happen then? Erland's suggestion was to use this as a "new target". That won't work with the SB architecture, SBS can only target a player so you will have to establish the sync setting or at least choose a player _before_ playing. If you do it before and we talk about 5 players you are in for four 1s playback interruptions while the other players join...

I won't argue regarding what's possible, most things are possible, it's just a matter how complex it gets, but I think there needs to be paradigm shift here, I want to control a "scene" or a "player". I want to be able to "expand" a player into a scene as long as the player is part of the scene definition. In the same way I want to be able to expand a "scene" into a bigger "scene", for example first play on "bottom floor" and then expand into "whole house". Two individual "scenes" should be able to play music separately as long as they don't have overlapping players, although I'm not sure how common this is going to be unless you live in a mansion. More common, it should be possible to play separate music on a specific player at the same time as a scene (not including that player) is playing some other music, for example playing some music on the bedroom Radio on the upper floor at the same time as you play other music on the "bottom floor" scene.

I don't think I have any need to stop playing music on an individual player which is part of a "scene" currently playing music. People might feel that it would be nice, but in a real world scenario you would probably just switch to another scene instead. For example, I'm playing music in "whole house" scene, if I want to stop music in the bedrooms on the upper floor I would now just select to limit the "whole house" music to the bottom floor by switching to the "bottom floor" scene.

You can choose to make this really advanced but that's already what we got. At the moment we have full flexibility to do exactly what we want, the problem with the current solution is that it's too flexible so it gets more or less unusable.

So my advice would be to:
- It doesn't matter if it gets complex to configure it, because that's what you do once
- It have to be really easy to use. I don't think you need a lot of choices during usage, possibly with the exception of the people that live in a mansion and have the area to really play music in a lot of zones simultaneously.
- It doesn't matter if it disturbs music when I change scene but it's more important that it doesn't loose the playlist I want to continue playing.

Maybe we are just talking about functionality to be able to move/expand the current playlist from a "player" or "scene" into another "scene" ?
To be able to move the playlist, the logic in the background would be to do the correct syncing/unsyncing, but from a user perspective it would just be a "move playlist" operation.

Still, if you want me to be honest, I'm not even sure how many people who have a need to play two different music streams on their system when a scene is playing. Most people would probably be very happy if they could just:
- Play separate music on individual players
OR
- Play music on the active scene (where only one could be active at a specific time)

But this might be different for all the iPeng users who live in a mansion and have a bit more rooms than I have in my apartment...

You will also be able to say whether you want to also store volume settings.

This is another thing that's never worked good for me when I have a mix of players where some players (Radio/Boom) have built-in speakers (where I definitely don't want to have the volume at 100%) and other players (Classic/Touch) are connected to an external amplifier (where I always want the player volume to be 100% since it's controlled by the amplifier).

I guess the solution might be to start controlling the Classic/Touch through the player volume instead of the amplifier volume control.

I'm not sure exactly how to solve it but you want to avoid at all costs that a Radio/Boom starts playing at 100% just because you move into the same scene as a Touch.

As long as the volume level is remembered per player, I'm not sure there even needs to be an option, can't it always store the volume level/setting per player for a specific scene ?

You would configure a scene as you do today when syncing players and when you are satisfied you just save it as a scene and it would then remember all sync/volume settings and the volume level on each player. The only thing the user had to do would be to enter a name of the scene.

It really doesn't matter to me if the volume of currently playing music is changed when I change scene, it's a lot more important that the Radio/Boom doesn't accidentally start playing at 100%.

By the way, as mentioned before, don't prioritize this because I have a lot of comments because it's really not very important to me personally. It's just an interesting topic to discuss.

epoch1970
2011-01-28, 01:03
This is another thing that's never worked good for me when I have a mix of players where some players (Radio/Boom) have built-in speakers (where I definitely don't want to have the volume at 100%) and other players (Classic/Touch) are connected to an external amplifier (where I always want the player volume to be 100% since it's controlled by the amplifier).

I guess the solution might be to start controlling the Classic/Touch through the player volume instead of the amplifier volume control.
Same here. (and using alarms on the SB3 linked to the amp has the same issue w/ volume)
This is where I hope one day to use system actions (vol. up, vol. down transmitted via IR Blaster) embedded in the playlist. I believe peterw (?) has looked into the idea, gharris999 as well maybe.

epoch1970
2011-01-28, 01:13
A pony: have iPeng make available/broadcast/store in the SBS its current status:
- in the foreground/background
- screensaver/in the library
I think the ability to discover information for a TCP/IP client could help w/ power management features.
For example my servers refrain from going down to sleep when idle if a player is in pause, but it could do the same when players are off but someone is building a playlist on iPeng...

JonWill
2011-01-28, 02:48
I have not responded to the poll as I am very happy with the UI in its current form - more functionality will be welcomed, but I am happy with all you've done to date!

Not a very helpful post I know, but just thought I'd speak up for the silent majority who are very happy, but clueless as to how to make what is already good better!

JayLaFunk
2011-01-28, 02:57
Have i read this correctly that you intend to take away "play shuffled and the ability to make playlists", please NO, making playlists on iPeng is fantastic and the ability to play in shuffled mode, I have even raised a ticket for having total playing time show as you do for albums on the playlist menu which I was hoping to see in the next update...

Playlist is working good so leave it there...

Jay

Nebulas
2011-01-28, 04:39

+1

Please keep this option, it makes life so easy: find an album and simply press the cover art - no additional sub menu's required. 9 out of 10 times I just want to listen to an album, and I'm not interested in all the other (although very interesting and useful options); so please keep this 'short cut' to mere album listening! :)

pippin
2011-01-28, 04:45
Two individual "scenes" should be able to play music separately as long as they don't have overlapping players, although I'm not sure how common this is going to be unless you live in a mansion.

Maybe I was a bit vague on that one: You will be able to have more than one scene active at a time but one _stored_ scene will only contain players of one group. If it's more than that it will be just too confusing with what to play in which group and the actual action of selecting a scene would become more complex than it's today.

At the moment we have full flexibility to do exactly what we want, the problem with the current solution is that it's too flexible so it gets more or less unusable.

Sorry, but I switch syncing all the time and is it really unusable?
I mean: all you have to do now is mark all players you want to sync and press a button. Then you select what you want to play on these players. This is not really complex, isn't it? For "sync all" and "unsync all" there is even a single-button shortcut.
Frankly: whatever we do with scenes will _NOT_ be more simple than that. You will not have to decide into the player but on the other hand you will have to remember or look up what's in a "scene"...
Some problems just don't get any simpler if you turn them around.

- It doesn't matter if it gets complex to configure it, because that's what you do once

I disagree. If it get's too complex people won't use it and it's of no help.

- It have to be really easy to use. I don't think you need a lot of choices during usage, possibly with the exception of the people that live in a mansion and have the area to really play music in a lot of zones simultaneously.

Even with two players you have to decide which of your stored scenes you want to use and which music you want to play.

- It doesn't matter if it disturbs music when I change scene but it's more important that it doesn't loose the playlist I want to continue playing.

Maybe I'm a bit too sensitive about this issue because of some lengthy discussions with some company that's even evaluating whether SB is even feasible for their use due to this very issue...

I'm not sure exactly how to solve it but you want to avoid at all costs that a Radio/Boom starts playing at 100% just because you move into the same scene as a Touch.

Ummm. That should not be an issue with iPeng. iPeng doesn't do an _absolute_ sync of volume but just a relative one and also it ignores all players that are fixed to 100%.

As long as the volume level is remembered per player, I'm not sure there even needs to be an option, can't it always store the volume level/setting per player for a specific scene ?

That's the idea. Think "romantic evening" setup that powers down all but two Squeezeboxes, sets them to low volume... Thinking of it I should add an option to play a predefined Playlist, too....

A pony: have iPeng make available/broadcast/store in the SBS its current status:
- in the foreground/background
- screensaver/in the library
I think the ability to discover information for a TCP/IP client could help w/ power management features.
For example my servers refrain from going down to sleep when idle if a player is in pause, but it could do the same when players are off but someone is building a playlist on iPeng...

The server should already know all this. Whenever iPeng is in the background (unless it's playing music) the connection to the server will be down and whenever it's in the foreground there is a standing connection.

I have not responded to the poll as I am very happy with the UI in its current form - more functionality will be welcomed, but I am happy with all you've done to date!

Not a very helpful post I know, but just thought I'd speak up for the silent majority who are very happy, but clueless as to how to make what is already good better!

Oh, yes, it's indeed a _very_ helpful post. You know, the problem with all these things is that people who do _not_ like something tend to be much more vocal than people who _do_ like things. I stepped into this trap once for the player icons in iPeng for iPhone. I got a lot of complaints about the old player-image versions and when I needed new ones and also my graphics guy told me "hey, they really break the UI style" I decided to switch to the stylized ones just to find out that a big majority of users actually did _not_ think the old ones were that bad...

Judging from the poll I might just be about to avoid a similar mistake on the simplified iPhone UI, no votes for changing the main menu behavior yet and not too many for getting rid of swiping.
And this even though around 50% of the comments I get otherwise sound like "iPeng is nice if just that swiping wouldn't be"....

Have i read this correctly that you intend to take away "play shuffled and the ability to make playlists", please NO, making playlists on iPeng is fantastic and the ability to play in shuffled mode, I have even raised a ticket for having total playing time show as you do for albums on the playlist menu which I was hoping to see in the next update...

Playlist is working good so leave it there...

No, you have misread that. In no case will I take away anything, there might just be an option for an alternative "simplified" UI.

pippin
2011-01-28, 04:48
+1

Please keep this option, it makes life so easy: find an album and simply press the cover art - no additional sub menu's required. 9 out of 10 times I just want to listen to an album, and I'm not interested in all the other (although very interesting and useful options); so please keep this 'short cut' to mere album listening! :)

Ah, you see, that's another one of these cases. I did get quite a few complaints that this makes it too easy to destroy your playlist...

Mnyb
2011-01-28, 04:48
Why not "relative volume" sync when synced , no squeeze app has this yet and it's obvious that's how it should work. Now the volumes get synced to the same absolute value in %

pippin
2011-01-28, 04:58
Why not "relative volume" sync when synced , no squeeze app has this yet and it's obvious that's how it should work. Now the volumes get synced to the same absolute value in %

??? iPeng has this!!!!! For a pretty long time now!

erland
2011-01-28, 09:54
Sorry, but I switch syncing all the time and is it really unusable?
I mean: all you have to do now is mark all players you want to sync and press a button. Then you select what you want to play on these players. This is not really complex, isn't it? For "sync all" and "unsync all" there is even a single-button shortcut.

I'm really sorry, I wasn't thinking clearly this morning, I was thinking about syncing with the controller or web UI. It's of course not unusable with iPeng, it just requires a bit too many clicks since I need to mark the same players every time I like to sync and it's more or less always exactly the same players I'd like to sync.

Sorry for the confusion.

pippin
2011-01-28, 10:08
How many players do you sync?

erland
2011-01-28, 10:23
How many players do you sync?

For me personally it's three (Radio, Touch, Boom), so as I said previously it's not a major issue for me. There are a lot of other stuff that's more important.

The main issue is really the volume adjustment, so I need to try the iPeng syncing some more because if it means that the volume adjustments will work it sounds like you are really close. The optimal solution would integrate with the amplifier and show the current amplifier volume in iPeng, but unfortunately my amplifier doesn't have any interface that makes something like that possible.

However, even though I use iPeng I would really prefer a solution that also worked with all other interfaces, for example selecting a sync group with an IR-remote and start playing something. This is of course not really your within the scope of iPeng.

Still, syncing isn't important for me personally, so you should probably listen more to the other users who actually voted for sync in the poll.

I wonder if there are more people than me who thought about general improvement of Squeezebox synching and hadn't realized what iPeng already supports ?

pippin
2011-01-28, 10:30
The main issue is really the volume adjustment, so I need to try the iPeng syncing some more because if it means that the volume adjustments will work it sounds like you are really close. The optimal solution would integrate with the amplifier and show the current amplifier volume in iPeng, but unfortunately my amplifier doesn't have any interface that makes something like that possible.

The two Denon plugins do that.

However, even though I use iPeng I would really prefer a solution that also worked with all other interfaces, for example selecting a sync group with an IR-remote and start playing something. This is of course not really your within the scope of iPeng.

No, but within the scope of Sync Options which does this and does integrate well with iPeng (well, at least the two don't disturb each other).

peterw
2011-01-28, 11:16
Why not "relative volume" sync when synced , no squeeze app has this yet and it's obvious that's how it should work. Now the volumes get synced to the same absolute value in %??? iPeng has this!!!!! For a pretty long time now!

Also, as pippin has noted, relative volume sync is a feature of later versions of SyncOptions (in production since last March; beta was released Dec 2009) -- if enabled, then changes to the volume any synced player, no matter what UI was used, affects the volumes of all the other players in that sync group. I think iPeng and SyncOptions may use slightly different algorithms for the relative adjustments, but they are designed not to step on each others' toes.

Jeff Flowerday
2011-01-28, 11:33
Ah, you see, that's another one of these cases. I did get quite a few complaints that this makes it too easy to destroy your playlist...

Man I hated the instant play when clicking on album art. Dozens of times a night the playlist got blown away by friends clicking on the album art. Even with the awesome "Party Mode" preventing this from happening now, I still think it should be a long click on regular mode, it's just not intuitive having instant play on the art and drill into on the album name.

vagskal
2011-01-28, 12:38
Since I got the iPad I rarely use iPeng for iPhone so this relates to iPeng for iPad.

I must say I am really happy with the way iPeng works right now, and I am glad that you have no plans to reduce functionality. But also a good thing could get even better. And here we go (some, if not most, ideas have been put forward before).

The things that bugs me the most in everyday use (apart from not being able to use Dynamic Playlists, which is supposed to be fixed in an upcoming version):

1. When listing songs (in NP, playlists and album screen, where the songs of one album are listed. search results, all songs) all track artists should be shown! If you are afraid of long loading times/stressing SBS, introduce a limit for extremely large lists/albums/playlists. It is frustrating when only an obscure guest artist is shown as the artist on the NP screen, for example.

2. Show track numbers (at least in the album screen, where the songs of one album are listed)! Do this at least where iPeng shows only a subset of the songs of an album. This is essential for albums representing charted songs, i.e. Billboard Hot 100, Rolling Stone Magazine's Top Songs, The 25 Exquisitely Sad Songs in the Whole World etc. The VA albums of charted songs show up in the list of albums for an artist, but if you then go to that album screen you cannot tell how well that artist charted. (I would even prefer to have the iPeng sequential numbering of songs in one album removed since it is only confusing and superfluous since the total number of tracks displayed for one album is shown anyway.)

3. The inconsistent behaviour of the NP screens. No touch and hold, no editing in the playlist screen, touching the playlist or the lyrics does not bring up the player controls/song info (you must touch outside these areas). (I know you said that the NP screens are special and I do not want you to remove the ones you have managed!)

4. In the main screen, when you touch and hold the NP song and select something it is shown in the main area but there is no "back" button to take you back to the menu previously shown in that main area. There should be such a back button.

5. The Artists => Various Artists screen is useless when it lists the VA albums in year order (which order is logic for all other "artists"). Have that screen always display the albums in album name order instead. As it is now I have to use a separate CustomBrowse menu to display my VA albums.

Some other possible enhancements:

1. iPeng provides the best way to sync players I have tried. Sync sets/scenes would be welcome, and for me the ability to remember the volume of each player would be essential. I basically use a daytime setup and a night time setup with fewer players and lower volume. I find it hard to set the volume as low as I want to when wanting to go to sleep so doing it once and having a preset to switch to with the press of one button would make life, or at least sleeping, easier.

2. Easy to access presets for alarms ("7 AM Alarm" and "8 AM Alarm" in the left hand pane of the main screen, for example).

3. I really liked the play whole album (in track number order) when touching the album art approach in iPeng on iPhone and hope to see this (at least as an option) also in iPeng for iPad. (Touch and hold the album art - or swiping, see below - should then bring up the album info popup.)

4. Much better options to get online content from AMG, Wkipedia, Discogs etc. and showing it "inside" iPeng with the ability to follow further links. If there are copyright issues, let the links in iPeng lead to the Safari browser (or, more preferably, institute even better co-operation with Erland and Michael and other non-profit developers of plugins). I would be happy to pay more, or subscribe annually, for easy access in iPeng to AMG/Rovi data, for example.

5. In the main screen, I would like to be able to swipe one track to have the details of that track shown in the main area (like in the track info popup). That would be intuitive to me, since swiping is a way of living with the iPad. If this is introduced, swiping an album should work in a similar way, showing the information in the album info popup in the main area.

Thanks for your good work! (And have a second look at my initial statement that I am really happy with the way iPeng on the iPad already works...)

schiegl
2011-01-28, 13:41
OK, the main task for now - preparing a playback for iPeng - is done and waiting Apple's approval so I want to follow bluegaspode's example and ask users for opinions on a few new developments for iPeng.

This is good news!

Now i'm thinking outside the box:

<dream-mode>
What if playback is expanded to support an offline mode? (like some browsers do with websites)? All my music is located on a single server and is accessible through different devices BUT ONLY if there's a stable connection to the central SBS (same applies to MySB).

If i want to access music when i'm going to be offline, i have to plan ahead:
- convert the songs to mp3 in case they're in flac format
- import into iTunes
- Sync to iPhone

In my "dream" i'm sitting on the couch, browsing my music with iPeng and from time to time i select a song or album as "save for later". iPeng then connects to the SBS (which automatically transcodes to mp3) and saves the songs to the device ready for the next day, so i can listen while traveling without any connection to my server...
</dream-mode>

Even without dreaming iPeng is just one great piece of an app and interface to my music library. Love it!

Philip Meyer
2011-01-28, 17:38
>How long have you been with iPeng? Versions 1.0.x had _exactly_ this
>feature :)
Damn! I only got it a couple of months back, when my brother sold me an old iPhone when he bought a newer one.

>A lot of people found the number of modes too much so I moved the
>feature to the "long press".
I'd much rather have the info mode, than Add/Play Next. I'm normally either playing albums, or wanting to see info.
Perhaps add an option to configure the options that can be chosen ;-)

pippin
2011-01-28, 19:02
The things that bugs me the most in everyday use (apart from not being able to use Dynamic Playlists, which is supposed to be fixed in an upcoming version):

Yep

1. When listing songs (in NP, playlists and album screen, where the songs of one album are listed. search results, all songs) all track artists should be shown! If you are afraid of long loading times/stressing SBS, introduce a limit for extremely large lists/albums/playlists. It is frustrating when only an obscure guest artist is shown as the artist on the NP screen, for example.

Not before 7.6
Limits are not really an option. How would this work: after 30min I ask whether you want to start again without them?
I do already get too many bad comments for performance from NAS or SB touch users, anything that costs performance currently is definitely not an option, sorry.

3. The inconsistent behaviour of the NP screens. No touch and hold, no editing in the playlist screen, touching the playlist or the lyrics does not bring up the player controls/song info (you must touch outside these areas). (I know you said that the NP screens are special and I do not want you to remove the ones you have managed!)

Also not an option. This would mean a completely redundant rewrite of the NowPlaying screen structure that would also run counter to what I want to provide in the future with these screens (more info).

4. In the main screen, when you touch and hold the NP song and select something it is shown in the main area but there is no "back" button to take you back to the menu previously shown in that main area. There should be such a back button.

Yes, I should really add that.

5. The Artists => Various Artists screen is useless when it lists the VA albums in year order (which order is logic for all other "artists"). Have that screen always display the albums in album name order instead. As it is now I have to use a separate CustomBrowse menu to display my VA albums.

I would need that to be identified by SBS which I don't think is going to happen, sorry. It's simply too hard to reliably identify that menu other wise.
I thought I'd filed a bug for that but can't find it right now.

2. Easy to access presets for alarms ("7 AM Alarm" and "8 AM Alarm" in the left hand pane of the main screen, for example).

Could you elaborate how that should look like?

3. I really liked the play whole album (in track number order) when touching the album art approach in iPeng on iPhone and hope to see this (at least as an option) also in iPeng for iPad. (Touch and hold the album art - or swiping, see below - should then bring up the album info popup.)

Sorry, but I will not do ambiguous controls, especially not if they destroy the current playlist. See some comments above in this thread.
And in iPeng for iPad you simply have to tap artwork to open a menu in a lot of places.

vagskal
2011-01-28, 20:05
Thanks for the reply!

Limits are not really an option. How would this work: after 30min I ask whether you want to start again without them?

Just show only album artist, like today, for lists, albums and playlists containing more than X songs. Always show all artists on the (1 song) NP screen.

Could you elaborate how that should look like?

In the main screen left pane have items like "Alarm 7AM", that can be configured under Settings => Alarms (New menu item), where you can choose name for the alarm, player(s), volume, playlist, time/interval, like you do today under each player. Selecting the menu item "Alarm 7AM" would set the alarm according to the preset and leave some visual indication of the alarm being set. Selecting that Menu item again should switch off that alarm preset.

Mnyb
2011-01-28, 20:55
??? iPeng has this!!!!! For a pretty long time now!

I have my finger on an order for an iPad.... The only thing holding me back is that i must infect one computer with iTunes to use it :-/

And all my PC's are linux tried to install iTunes under wine, did not work well to say the least .I migth install Win or MacOS under virtualbox ? does it find all USB and stuff ? and then I have to pay for an OS ?
I migth install iTunes on my work pc and let the it dept sort that out ;)

pippin
2011-01-28, 21:21
Just show only album artist, like today, for lists, albums and playlists containing more than X songs. Always show all artists on the (1 song) NP screen.

That's going to come.
I have to move towards using the SqueezePlay NP info anyway, unfortunately it's completely different from the non-SP one so it's a lot of work.

vagskal
2011-01-29, 01:46
Just show only album artist, like today, for lists, albums and playlists containing more than X songs.

I came to realise that iPeng may not know the number of songs before SBS has done its processing and sent iPeng the songs. That was probably what you were referring to in your initial remark.

Another way to limit the number of songs would be to request only X songs and if the max number of songs was returned show in iPeng a Show all songs button.

Philip Meyer
2011-01-29, 04:39
>> 5. The Artists => Various Artists screen is useless when it lists the
>> VA albums in year order (which order is logic for all other "artists").
>> Have that screen always display the albums in album name order instead.
>> As it is now I have to use a separate CustomBrowse menu to display my
>> VA albums.
>>
>I would need that to be identified by SBS which I don't think is going
>to happen, sorry. It's simply too hard to reliably identify that menu
>other wise.
Is it possible to discover the default compilation artist name (i.e. the pref value stored in SBS > Settings > My Music, usually blank meaning "Various Artists").

I'd really like it if there were a Browse Compilations mode, which is effectively a shortcut to Artists > Various Artists, sorted by album name.

Or perhaps some way to quickly change sort order would be nice. eg. a toggle button to switch between album name or year order.
Even better would be to remember this setting per artist, so Artists > Various Artists could be switched to order by album, but other artists would be sorted by year.

Philip Meyer
2011-01-29, 04:42
>> Just show only album artist, like today, for lists, albums and
>> playlists containing more than X songs. Always show all artists on the
>> (1 song) NP screen.
>>
>
>That's going to come.
>I have to move towards using the SqueezePlay NP info anyway,
>unfortunately it's completely different from the non-SP one so it's a
>lot of work.
>
So for albums, show album artist, and for songs show contributors (artists AND OPTIONALLY bands, composers, conductors BUT NOT album artist)? Please!

Phil

pippin
2011-01-29, 06:44
The problem with the Various Artists is that it's localized. I'll have a look at the strings but IIRC you can't even assume it's coming with the same localization as the interface.

"Quickly" changing the sort order is another thing that's not really simple because it involves re-requesting the menu from the server.

And buttons, yes, I know about at least 10 other buttons I should really have on every page...

vagskal
2011-01-29, 06:56
The problem with the Various Artists is that it's localized. I'll have a look at the strings but IIRC you can't even assume it's coming with the same localization as the interface.

But for some reason iPeng is clever enough to place the VA entry on top of the artist list (under, and not before, the # sign), at least in my configuration. Would making the very first entry in the artist list show its albums in album name order perhaps work?

Philip Meyer
2011-01-29, 07:35
>The problem with the Various Artists is that it's localized. I'll have a
>look at the strings but IIRC you can't even assume it's coming with the
>same localization as the interface.
>
Good point.

pippin
2011-01-29, 07:45
But for some reason iPeng is clever enough to place the VA entry on top of the artist list (under, and not before, the # sign), at least in my configuration. Would making the very first entry in the artist list show its albums in album name order perhaps work?

No, it's the server doing that.
And no, at least for me I get up to _three_ various artists menus (VA on top, "Diverse Interpreten" under "D" and VA under V.

fphredd
2011-01-29, 08:10
Is it possible to put in the ability to have the 'scrub' bar active every time I open Now Playing instead of having to tap? Minor, but as long as we're all asking ~

vagskal
2011-01-29, 08:21
And no, at least for me I get up to _three_ various artists menus (VA on top, "Diverse Interpreten" under "D" and VA under V.

Now that is strange and seems like a SBS bug, if you have not entered "Diverse Interpreten" and VA in the Album Artist or Band tag. I use the standard VA name for my language Swedish ("Blandade artister") with SBS and iPad set to Swedish and only get the entry on top.

But you do always get one VA entry on top, so maybe at least that is consistent and can be used to determine the sort order...

Zucht
2011-01-30, 06:01
Sorry, THAT was the other alternative I wanted to have in the poll and that I forgot about: different color scheme...

+1 for different color scheme.

I like the blue, but black is in my opinion better (Looks more iPhone / iPad native)

Chewie
2011-01-30, 07:40
+1 for different color scheme.

I like the blue, but black is in my opinion better (Looks more iPhone / iPad native)

+ 2

I also think the Black looks a lot better.

pippin
2011-01-30, 09:46
Hm, but black is just soooo boring, everybody does black.
Also it'll need a completely new look for the cover walls in that case, lots of work.

Will see.

Zucht
2011-01-30, 09:59
Hm, but black is just soooo boring, ...

Correct. I am a very boring person! :P

Maybe it is an option to choose your preferred color scheme through iPeng settins?

pippin
2011-01-30, 10:53
Correct. I am a very boring person! :P

Maybe it is an option to choose your preferred color scheme through iPeng settins?

That would certainly be the case.
The main problem is that since black would be inverted to the current scheme essentially _all_ graphics have to be re-done. This is a _lot_ of work and will certainly delay a lot of other things if I do it.

Hence I should really have included it in the poll to learn about the priorities.

arztde
2011-01-30, 11:12
Hi Pipin,

i have just a view days an iPhone Version 3... What you think about a Gui closer to SlimControl. Is it Possible the iPhone 3 is in General more slow than Win mobile.

pippin
2011-01-30, 11:23
Hi Pipin,

i have just a view days an iPhone Version 3... What you think about a Gui closer to SlimControl. Is it Possible the iPhone 3 is in General more slow than Win mobile.
What specifically do you mean?
If you talk about any funnies that are different from what iPhone or SQueezePlay are doing there really needs to be a very, very good argument to do that.

iPhone 3G with recent OS versions (and I don't even use 4.x on it) is one of the most painfully slow experiences I've had with smartphones, yes, indeed, I was just extremely happy when I upgraded out of that.

arztde
2011-01-30, 11:55
What specifically do you mean?
If you talk about any funnies that are different from what iPhone or SQueezePlay are doing there really needs to be a very, very good argument to do that.

iPhone 3G with recent OS versions (and I don't even use 4.x on it) is one of the most painfully slow experiences I've had with smartphones, yes, indeed, I was just extremely happy when I upgraded out of that.

In romania the ipeng or mainly the iphone did deny me to connect to a unprotected linksys router so i could not test it there. And today id did play a little with it.

I need first to read for example in instructions how to group and ungroup Players. This is more intuitive in SlimControl. But i slowly saw SlimControl grow up and for this maybee need never any instruction.
So let me play some time first with iPeng and than i will give you some ideas.

pippin
2011-01-30, 12:00
Have a look at the quick tutorials.

arztde
2011-01-30, 15:12
have a look at the quick tutorials.

yes i did:

the help function is realy the most smartest function in ipeng. for a beginner with squeeze shure quite helpfull to understand the logitech concept also.

copperstate
2011-01-31, 15:00
I often listen to music on my iPhone whilst using public transportation (esp. after a hard's days work). As the playlist/album rarely ends exactly when I get home, I would like to have the ability to transfer it to iPeng so that I may seamlessly (more or less) continue to listen to that very same music on my home stereo. I am not sure how much work that would be (or if it is a no-go for Apple), though. :)

Mnyb
2011-02-09, 02:35
Now that I'm been using iPeng for a while I have a couple of enhancement requests for you to consider.

In album view, the pop up context menu does not have artist in it ? I want that, so if i scroll trough my albums see an album with and artist but sudenly realize I want something else with that artist !

To be able to start playback by double tapping on the album not only like now hold the finger until menu pops up then choose play

pippin
2011-02-09, 02:42
In album view, the pop up context menu does not have artist in it ? I want that, so if i scroll trough my albums see an album with and artist but sudenly realize I want something else with that artist !

To be able to start playback by double tapping on the album not only like now hold the finger until menu pops up then choose play

Could you file tickets on these two issues?
Although I believe #1 should really be solved by the server (to make it available for all SP UIs), but then until it happens I could add it manually...

Mnyb
2011-02-09, 03:05
Could you file tickets on these two issues?
Although I believe #1 should really be solved by the server (to make it available for all SP UIs), but then until it happens I could add it manually...

When I get time.. I have some technology overload atm...

New Phone and a new iPad new Digital loudspeakers I completed my Meridian system, building am universal remote with iPad+iRule+iTach devices over my local network and I need to change mobo and upgrade server the built in NIC broke so no wol rigth now.

Oh what a load of "problems" i have :)

copperstate
2011-02-14, 13:43
When I get time.. I have some technology overload atm...

New Phone and a new iPad new Digital loudspeakers I completed my Meridian system, building am universal remote with iPad+iRule+iTach devices over my local network and I need to change mobo and upgrade server the built in NIC broke so no wol rigth now.

Oh what a load of "problems" i have :)

I would love to have your "problems" :D

maggior
2011-02-14, 13:59

Can't you single tap the artwork for playback to start immediately? Maybe you are referring to a different context. I really like that feature!

pippin
2011-02-14, 15:03
Can't you single tap the artwork for playback to start immediately? Maybe you are referring to a different context. I really like that feature!

No, not in the iPad version.
And you wouldn't believe how many requests I get to remove it from the iPhone version, too.

But the rationale on iPad is simple: on iPad iPeng has some views (cover wall, playlists) where you have to tap an artwork icon to go to a lower level menu. It would be simply too confusing and dangerous if the same gesture would once open a submenu and once clear the playlist and play something.
Especially since for albums that would even be in the same menu, with just a different display format.

But I think double tap is a good idea.

MrSinatra
2011-02-14, 17:55
i voted for advanced functionality, but in actuality you could call this request "ipeng for dummies"

https://trac.penguinlovesmusic.de/trac/ipengnat/ticket/293

basically, an option for ipeng to start playing something when ipeng is started.

Nikhil
2011-02-14, 19:33
Additional functionality:
Would it be possible for the app to have built in SSH tunneling / VPN capability (sort of like the original softsqueeze). I do use the VPN functionality of iOS for this sometime, but I wonder if it would be possible just for this app.

iPhone
2011-02-14, 19:45
Late to the party, don't know how I missed this.

Please please please don't dumb down iPeng. This is what makes it great! How about adding a beginners page to explain "swiping" and a web link for an explanation of operations with examples, like an iPeng Wiki.

pippin
2011-02-15, 01:29
Additional functionality:
Would it be possible for the app to have built in SSH tunneling / VPN capability (sort of like the original softsqueeze). I do use the VPN functionality of iOS for this sometime, but I wonder if it would be possible just for this app.

Sorry, no.
Encryption is export controlled in the US and if you add that you need to deal with extra red tape on the App Store.
I prefer to write software instead...

So it's good that iPhone supports that out of the box.

pippin
2011-02-15, 01:31
Late to the party, don't know how I missed this.

Please please please don't dumb down iPeng. This is what makes it great! How about adding a beginners page to explain "swiping" and a web link for an explanation of operations with examples, like an iPeng Wiki.

Don't worry, it would only be an option.
The page explaining swiping is already there and comes up on the first use (long ago for you :) ).

gorman
2011-02-17, 10:25
I voted for a new UI for iPad and I'm glad to be in the majority (don't know when the poll closes, though :)).

iPeng for iPhone is pretty much perfect. iPad? It really doesn't feel the same way.