PDA

View Full Version : Squeezecenter on Mac

Kyle
2011-01-24, 21:01
Is there a way to have SC show up in the dock on a Macintosh like it does on a Windows taskbar?

chill
2011-01-25, 04:49
Hi Kyle

Squeezebox Server is implemented as a Preference Pane, and as far as I'm aware you can't put individual Preference Panes in the Dock. It is accessed via System Preferences (like Control Panel on a Windows box). Of course, you can put System Preferences in the Dock, but since it is accessible anyway directly from the Apple menu, there's not really much point.

However, I find that the Preference Pane is an 'install-and-forget' item. I access the server settings via the web interface on a general basis, and there is indeed a way to put a shortcut to this in your Dock. Using Google Chrome, enter localhost:9000 on the URL bar, save it as a bookmark on your Bookmarks Bar, and then drag it from the Bookmarks Bar to your Dock. It can only be placed to the right of the divider in the Dock, but at least you'll have it accessible with a single click. If you want to change the default icon, I think you'll need to drag it from the bookmarks bar to the desktop first, change the icon (I've never really got to grips with how to do this - Google should help), and then drag it to the Dock.

cjfreitag
2011-01-25, 06:25
Thanks for the great tip. You specify Chrome; any reason that the same thing can't be done in Safari?

chill
2011-01-25, 07:18
Thanks for the great tip. You specify Chrome; any reason that the same thing can't be done in Safari?

The same process doesn't work in Safari *{correction - see below}. It looks like a feature of Chrome**. Maybe there's a way in other browsers, but since I use Chrome anyway I haven't researched it much. But don't worry, if you don't want to use Chrome as your browser, the 'webloc' file that Chrome creates by this process is simply a kind of shortcut that launches your default browser. In effect, you are simply using Chrome to create the shortcut.

In fact, there's a quicker way if you don't want to download and install Chrome. The webloc file that is created is simply a plain text file that contains the following (I guess this is a plist file, so a plist editor may be the best way to work with it):

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>URL</key>
<string>http://localhost:9000/</string>
</dict>
</plist>

Simply create a plain text file with the above text, save it as, eg, 'Squeezebox.webloc' on the desktop and you have your shortcut. Then just drag it to the Dock.

* Correction: Safari can indeed be used to create webloc files - enter the URL in the URL bar at the top, then just drag the whole URL, or the mini icon to its immediate left, onto the desktop or the Dock. And it looks as though the icon is fixed - not sure.

** Edit again: The same process seems to work in Chrome - no need to go via the Bookmarks Bar. Just drag the URL or the mini icon to wherever you want the shortcut.

Kyle
2011-01-25, 08:27
I wish there were a way to use a different icon with Safari. I don't really want to go the Chrome route. I'm really just looking for a way to make access more familiar for my wife in the transition to OSX. One other thing is that when I go to SC through System Preferences, it asks me to restart Preferences each time. Is there a setting to change that?

chill
2011-01-25, 08:34
Hi Kyle

I'm not sure about the icon thing - as far as I'm aware the same restriction applies whether the shortcut is created with Chrome or Safari.

If it's just a convenience issue, I'd suggest either a bookmark on the Safari bookmarks bar, or you might like to install Squeezeplay. You can set it up to control your hardware player, and it has a nice icon and can be docked.

As for the preference pane, I think it restarts System Preferences because it is a 32-bit pane running on a 64-bit system - not really sure what the reason is to be honest, but I don't think there's a way around it. For your wife's convenience, is it not best just to leave the server running and forget about it? You'd only have to worry about accessing the web interface (or Squeezeplay) after that.

Kyle
2011-01-25, 08:45
Thanks, chill. Yes, I'll keep the server running. She's just used to clicking the SB icon in the system tray, so I was looking for something similar. Of course, I can "train" her to open Safari and click the bookmarks bar, but I'm trying to make things as familiar as possible. Squeezeplay might be the ticket. What is it's icon, and is it easy to set up with a similar look to Classic Squeezecenter? Also, we use iPeng on the iPad. Would Squeezecenter be compatible with that?

chill
2011-01-25, 09:03
Hi Kyle (sorry, Jim)

It turns out you CAN change the icon to anything you like. For instance, to change the icon to the same one that Squeezeplay uses (a nice silver/white SB3), you do a 'get info' on Squeezeplay.app, click on the little icon in the top left, and use the 'edit' -> 'copy' option in the finder menu across the top of the screen. Then do a 'get info' on webloc shortcut on your desktop, click on the existing icon and then do an 'edit' -> 'paste' to apply the Squeezeplay icon. The new icon seems to persist even when the shortcut is then dropped on the dock.

So that creates the necessary shortcut, with a suitable icon. You can then make the web interface look like any of the installed skins. If you are familiar with iPeng, you could for instance install the ipeng skin, and then create a webloc file where the URL is localhost:9000/ipeng - that will launch the web interface with the ipeng skin, without having to change the default skin.

EDIT: I believe the Squeezeplay interface looks like the Duet controller - it is very similar to the Touch interface.

Kyle
2011-01-25, 09:25
Good news! Thanks.

EDIT: Worked a charm!

Kyle
2011-01-25, 12:03
Is that Squeezeplay icon on a clear background? I copied one to use from Amazon, but the white background detracts from it. I hate to download a program just to get a suitable icon. Any sources for a better option?

chill
2011-01-25, 12:17
Is that Squeezeplay icon on a clear background?

It is. TIFF attached.

Kyle
2011-01-25, 13:07
Can't wait to get home and give her a try. Thanks again!

yorkio
2011-01-27, 05:42
Squeezebox Server is implemented as a Preference Pane, and as far as I'm aware you can't put individual Preference Panes in the Dock.

Yes, you can. Go to /Library/PreferencePanes and then just drag Squeezebox.prefPane into the dock it even preserves the Squeezebox icon.

chill
2011-01-27, 05:58
Wel there you go - that's neat.

Kyle
2011-01-27, 07:51
Yes, you can. Go to /Library/PreferencePanes and then just drag Squeezebox.prefPane into the dock it even preserves the Squeezebox icon.
Can it go anywhere in the dock or just below the divider?

yorkio
2011-01-27, 08:04
Can it go anywhere in the dock or just below the divider?

To the right of the divider. (I've no idea what determines that is it apps only on the left, I wonder?

Kyle
2011-01-27, 09:17
To the right of the divider. (I've no idea what determines that is it apps only on the left, I wonder?
Must be. I said "below" because I keep my dock on the left side.