PDA

View Full Version : playlists empty on move to new pc

tom.jelly
2011-01-23, 10:41
just moved to a new pc, and I moved my playlists over onto E:\mp3\playlists. (on an external HDD) they show up correctly as m3u files and show up in squeezebox server, but they are all empty. to double check I had them in the right place, I made a NEW playlist and saved it and it appeared right alongside the ones that are not working correctly. Its been a while since I had to fool around with this so its been long enought that I've forgotten how to fix this anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Tom

kidstypike
2011-01-23, 10:52
just moved to a new pc, and I moved my playlists over onto E:\mp3\playlists. (on an external HDD) they show up correctly as m3u files and show up in squeezebox server, but they are all empty. to double check I had them in the right place, I made a NEW playlist and saved it and it appeared right alongside the ones that are not working correctly. Its been a while since I had to fool around with this so its been long enought that I've forgotten how to fix this anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Tom

Open one of your playlists with Notepad and check the Drive letter. Needs to point to the Drive where your music files are stored.

tom.jelly
2011-01-23, 11:54
Thanks, thats the problem- they are pointing to the wrong drive letter, I just need to figure out how to fix them all now. Not sure how that happened unless I've copied OLD playlists rather than recent ones made or refreshed after a reorganization of data a long time ago. Either that or some gremlins changed the drive letters...
thanks for the help!
tom

Mnyb
2011-01-23, 12:05
Notepad or wordpad has a search and replace function use that

replace "E:\" with whats used now or as much of the path that don't match.

It has "replace all" as an option basically a couple of mouse clicks .

Take backups of the playlist first .

Rescan after you have changed them.

tom.jelly
2011-01-23, 12:12
I've just gone in and changed the F: to E: (the correct path to where the songs are) in a playlist with notepad and still nothing shows- not sure what to do next here...
t

Mnyb
2011-01-23, 12:13
I've just gone in and changed the F: to E: (the correct path to where the songs are) in a playlist with notepad and still nothing shows- not sure what to do next here...
t

Did you tell squeezeboxserver to rescan the playlist after that ?

tom.jelly
2011-01-23, 12:28
Nope, but I just did, woohoo! it works, thanks. Didn't realize the scan looked INSIDE the files rather than just where they were located.

thank again
t

Mnyb
2011-01-24, 02:41
Nope, but I just did, woohoo! it works, thanks. Didn't realize the scan looked INSIDE the files rather than just where they were located.

thank again
t

Thats how it's finding metadat for the database everything is presented with artist album and pictures.

It also check out that the links in the playlist actually goes to a file .

A more unexpected feature is that it follows links in playlists even if they go "outside" of the specified music library and ad those files to the library

tom.jelly
2011-01-24, 16:29
interesting, didn't know it had that capability but it makes sense after looking at the file in notepad. Now I think I just have to figure out how to get itunes and SBS to see the album artwork file, although I moved it over I can't even remember if it is an itunes or SBS file, I'll have to take a look at the old PC again before it gets repurposed...but if I remember correctly one of these programs will go on line to get it again anyway...
thanks again
tom