PDA

View Full Version : Trackstat: Does it take ratings from music files?

Swiftie
2011-01-22, 15:02
I've just installed the Trackstat plugin and I'm wondering if it captures the ratings from the MP3 files (Windows Media Player has been storing my ratings in the music files for years).

I haven't been through a refresh cycle yet (but tonight's the night, if you remember that joke).

Or am I going to have to rate ~22,000 tracks all over again?

Mnyb
2011-01-22, 15:16
I actually think it does read rating tags ? I've not used it enough to see.
Hopefully WMP has written such rating tags to your files and not just stored it in it's own dB.

I'm also interested in the answer expecially what happens if you change rating and the file has a rating tag ? sbs does not write to files .

So trackstat keep it's own stats somewhere .
And how it all comes together when you rescan or move files or upgrade the server

Swiftie
2011-01-23, 01:16
I actually think it does read rating tags ? I've not used it enough to see.
Hopefully WMP has written such rating tags to your files and not just stored it in it's own dB.

I'm also interested in the answer expecially what happens if you change rating and the file has a rating tag ? sbs does not write to files .

Here's what I know:
1. I set WMP to also save ratings in the audio files years ago. MP3Tag finds tags "RATING WMP" with values 0-5 in all of my music files. If I export these files to a different system, my ratings turn up there.
2. My system did a rescan new/changed files, and no new ratings were picked up.
3. I ran a Clear & Rescan everything, still no additional ratings picked up...

So, loads of work ahead, duplicating ratings that are already known...

erland
2011-01-23, 01:47
You want to take a look at the "Custom Scan" plugin and it's "Rating Tag" module if you want to import ratings from tags to TrackStat and SBS. The "Rating Tag" module supports to import rating from a custom tag (which you have to specify the name of) or from the POPM standard tag in ID3v2 tag format which is used in for example MP3 files. If you use a custom tag, you also have to specify the maximum value it can have that represents a maximum rating, sounds like you should specify 5 in your setup.

As far as I know there is currently no automated solution to write ratings back to the tags when you change them through SBS interface. Due to this I'm not sure you want to configure the "Rating Tag" module to import ratings after every rescan because then it will probably also overwrite ratings you have change through SBS interface.

I think some users have experimented with the "TrackStat Playlist" plugin, which generates a saved playlist of all files with a certain rating. They have imported this playlist in another tool and manually selected all files in it requested it to write the rating number the playlist represented to the tags. I'm guessing they will have to do this 5 times, once for each rating level, since there will be one playlist for one star ratings, one for two start ratings,...

The general issue with rating tags is that different applications tend to interpret them differently, so a 4 star rating created by WMP might appear as a 3 star rating when you open the file in another tool.

TrackStat keeps its ratings in a separate table in the database, this won't be cleared during rescan. To make it possible to reconnect the ratings after a rescan it either:
- Have to have the same complete path as before
or
- Have musicbrainz tags in the music files

If neither of this is true, it will loose ratings if you move or rename files.

Any one using TrackStat should configure it to do nightly backups, see here for more information:
http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Setup_support_for_ratings#Configuration_of_backup

The above wiki page also contains some additional information regarding ratings in TrackStat and SBS.

There is a third option which will work for operating system/computer upgrades, if you do a backup before the rescan and a restore it after the rescan. The restore operation can be configured to ignore difference in the beginning of the path as long as the end of the path is the same as before. This works pretty good if you for example install an additional drive and move your complete library from C: to D:. The restore operation can be pretty slow when it's configured to look for alternative files, so you don't want to do this on daily basis, it's mainly useful during computer/OS upgrade scenarios where the drive letters might change.

Swiftie
2011-01-24, 12:27
Plenty to be going on with there. Thanks!