PDA

View Full Version : What did I do to get all my local FM radio station in favorites?

mkanet
2011-01-09, 17:38
This was an amazingly nice surprise. I'm not sure what I did, but now, I have all the popular/major radio FM stations added to my Favorites. I certainly didnt add them one by one. Best of all, I get artist/song information for them as well.

Does anyone know if this is a plugin that I enabled or something I enabled on squeezenetwork.com? Is this feature only available to USA? I would like to know, so other people I know that use SBS can take advantage of this as well.

Awesome feature!!
-MKANET

toby10
2011-01-10, 05:03
Yes, looks like they added the Local folder from Internet Radio > Local to the My Favorites folder.
Many will like this, many will not, but it is easily removed if not desired.

bluegaspode
2011-01-10, 05:19
Best of all, I get artist/song information for them as well.
This just depends on the station.
Some have the info embedded in their streams and SqueezeBoxes honor that.

mkanet
2011-01-21, 22:01
This may sound like a dumnb question, but I cant remember what I did to get all my local FM radio stations to show up in my favorites. This is GREAT! However, it would be nice to know what I did specifically to get those added in case a friend would like to do the same thing on his setup.

I like how there's support for artist and song name builtin.

Thanks,
MKANET

toby10
2011-01-22, 05:52
Are you using SBS server or MySB.com online?
Were these local FM's listed individually within Favorites? Or was there a separate folder within Favorites with just your locals?

bonze
2011-01-22, 06:07
Why two threads??

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=84657

mkanet
2011-01-22, 10:21
SBS Server. They were listed individually within Favorites.

Sorry, I forgot I had posted this question before; as I never received any email notifications for that one. I would prefer to follow this thread. I will ask the moderator to delete/disable the other thread.

Thanks, hopefully I'll find out the answer soon!
Michael

Are you using SBS server or MySB.com online?
Were these local FM's listed individually within Favorites? Or was there a separate folder within Favorites with just your locals?

mkanet
2011-01-22, 10:24
Moderator, I sincerely appologize for this. I didnt realize I had this thread since I didnt receive any email notifications for this. I would prefer to delete/omit this thread and continue with the below duplicate thread:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=84970

Again, I humbly applogize. It certainly wasn't intentional; as I completely forgot I had posted the question in this thread.

-MKANET

Mark Miksis
2011-01-22, 14:50
Threads merged.

mkanet
2011-01-22, 19:39
Thanks Mark, hopefully I can get a definitive answer as to what specifically adds these local stations. It works perfectly for me... all my local stations show up and has full support for artist/song title. The only weird thing is on some of the radio stations, the display looks a little weird on some radio stations. It might be because I only have classic clients based off the original slim protocol. However, I'm not complaining. It's nice jut to have these channels available!

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h283/mkanet/Screenshot-1372.jpg

toby10
2011-01-23, 03:20
KMEL properly displays the song & title info on my SB3. Might just be the software player or a temporary source glitch in properly displaying the metadata.

mkanet
2011-01-23, 03:56
I'm pretty sure it affects all classic clients using the original Squeezebox protocol. There are several FM channels that got added that dont have that weird information added though.

I'm more curious about how those channels got in the favorites list. Is it automatic? I'm trying to remember where I put in my zipcode or where I enabled the feature for local FM stations.

bpa
2011-01-23, 04:31
I'm pretty sure it affects all classic clients using the original Squeezebox protocol.

What do you mean by "classic" ?

AFAIK The info displayed on screen originates as a bitmap from SBS and is the same for device with same pixel height & width i.e. SB3 and Softsqueeze even though audio capabilities may differ. So I don't believe slimproto is the cause unless you have a non standard display on your softplayers.

toby10
2011-01-23, 04:42
No zip code needed, MySB simply uses GEO IP to figure out where you are, therefore what stations are "local" to you.
Sometimes this GEO IP guessing can be very specific or very general based on how your ISP assigns and reports it's IP's.
Example: If you live in NJ but use a NYC based ISP then GEO IP may guess that you are in NYC and not offer your NJ locals, or may lump in NYC and NJ both as your locals.
Or it may guess correctly that you are actually in NJ and not in NYC.

So, if desired, you can enter your zip code into the RadioTime App which will offer much more specific "locals" in the above NYC/NJ example.
RadioTime is the source for all items found in the menu item Internet Radio, with the exception of the Staff Picks.

mkanet
2011-01-23, 05:19
"Classic" refers to the first generation of hardware (and software) clients and respective protocol.

The text you see in that picture is a string of characters fed from SBS its not a bitmap.. the only thing thats bitmap is picture of the software player. If you do a CLI query "artist ?", you can see the artist name displayed in a string of characters, etc.

Here's a picture of softsqueeze doing the same thing on the same channel.

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h283/mkanet/Screenshot-1380.jpg

From the same set of FM radio stations that got added to favorites, there are some FM stations that provide the correct text data. There's more to it than just audio difference.

Sincerely,
MKANET

What do you mean by "classic" ?

AFAIK The info displayed on screen originates as a bitmap from SBS and is the same for device with same pixel height & width i.e. SB3 and Softsqueeze even though audio capabilities may differ. So I don't believe slimproto is the cause unless you have a non standard display on your softplayers.

mkanet
2011-01-23, 05:23
Oh interesting! So SBS determines my location based on my ISP and automatically adds the channels without any setting changes?

No zip code needed, MySB simply uses GEO IP to figure out where you are, therefore what stations are "local" to you.
Sometimes this GEO IP guessing can be very specific or very general based on how your ISP assigns and reports it's IP's.
Example: If you live in NJ but use a NYC based ISP then GEO IP may guess that you are in NYC and not offer your NJ locals, or may lump in NYC and NJ both as your locals.
Or it may guess correctly that you are actually in NJ and not in NYC.

So, if desired, you can enter your zip code into the RadioTime App which will offer much more specific "locals" in the above NYC/NJ example.
RadioTime is the source for all items found in the menu item Internet Radio, with the exception of the Staff Picks.

toby10
2011-01-23, 06:08
Oh interesting! So SBS determines my location based on my ISP and automatically adds the channels without any setting changes?

Correct.

My SB3 displays exactly what the station is sending, your example minus the word "text=" is what is displayed on my SB3 on that station.

bpa
2011-01-23, 06:18
The text you see in that picture is a string of characters fed from SBS its not a bitmap.. the only thing thats bitmap is picture of the software player. If you do a CLI query "artist ?", you can see the artist name displayed in a string of characters, etc.

I think the character mode is only used for SliMP3, SB1 and Squeezsslave. Softsqueeze uses the graphics bit map display. There is a module to handle emulated SB2 and higher devices to provide support for cli and jive displaystatus but that does not mean characters are sent to the emulated-devices which had graphics displays - generally SB2 and older.

The following is in the module Text.pm

sub vfdmodel {
my $display = shift;
my $client = $display->client;

if ($client->isa('Slim::Player::SLIMP3')) {
if ($client->revision >= 2.2) {
my $mac = $client->macaddress();
if ($mac eq '00:04:20:03:04:e0') {
return 'futaba-latin1';
} elsif ($mac eq '00:04:20:02:07:6e' ||
$mac =~ /^00:04:20:04:1/ ||
$mac =~ /^00:04:20:00:/ ) {
return 'noritake-european';
} else {
return 'noritake-katakana';
}
} else {
}
} elsif ($client->isa('Slim::Player::SqueezeSlave')) {
return 'squeezeslave';
} else {
# Squeezebox 1
}
}

mkanet
2011-01-23, 11:45
This went way over my head. Maybe I'm really dense, what would explain that some FM chanels that were added look 100% correct on softsqueze; but some channels like KMEL looks incorrect on softsqueeze; but all these FM favorites look correct on newer clients (under all circumstances; including FM channel KMEL). It seems that these older clients dont display some of these FM Favorites correctly. Howeever, some of these FM favorites look 100% correct on softsqueeze (such as FM channel KOIT in screenshot below).

So, when softsqueeze exposes these weird display issues and SB3 devices shows these same channels correctly under all circumstances, where is the problem? There are other FM Favorites channels that get added that dont have this display problem. Such as the below screenshot. So what's different between the channels with correct text displayed and the ones that aren't on Softsqueeze:

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h283/mkanet/Screenshot-1381.jpg

Maybe, this is something that can be fixed in slimplayer itself. The picture you see is a software player that uses the latest softsqueeze.jar; only adding cosmetic enhancements (its just a UI shell).

Thanks for all your help guys!
MKANET

I think the character mode is only used for SliMP3, SB1 and Squeezsslave. Softsqueeze uses the graphics bit map display. There is a module to handle emulated SB2 and higher devices to provide support for cli and jive displaystatus but that does not mean characters are sent to the emulated-devices which had graphics displays - generally SB2 and older.

The following is in the module Text.pm

sub vfdmodel {
my $display = shift;
my $client = $display->client;

if ($client->isa('Slim::Player::SLIMP3')) {
if ($client->revision >= 2.2) {
my $mac = $client->macaddress();
if ($mac eq '00:04:20:03:04:e0') {
return 'futaba-latin1';
} elsif ($mac eq '00:04:20:02:07:6e' ||
$mac =~ /^00:04:20:04:1/ ||
$mac =~ /^00:04:20:00:/ ) {
} else {
}
} else {
}
} elsif ($client->isa('Slim::Player::SqueezeSlave')) {
return 'squeezeslave';
} else {
# Squeezebox 1
}
}

bpa
2011-01-23, 13:52
So, when softsqueeze exposes these weird display issues and SB3 devices shows these same channels correctly under all circumstances, where is the problem? There are other FM Favorites channels that get added that dont have this display problem.

First, I'd like to reproduce the problem. Can you give 2 full URLs that show the problem and an URL which is OK. These URLs should be the ones that SBS uses.

mkanet
2011-01-23, 14:35
Example of incorrect format "FM" channels added automatically to Favorites:

1. Title: |FM RADIO| - 106.1 - KMEL (Hip Hop)
URL: http://opml.radiotime.com/Tune.ashx?id=s33995&formats=aac,mp3,wma,wmpro,wmvoice,wmvideo,ogg&partnerId=16

2. Title: |FM RADIO| - 94.9 - Wild 94.9 (Top 40-Pop)
URL: http://opml.radiotime.com/Tune.ashx?id=s84862&formats=aac,mp3,wma,wmpro,wmvoice,wmvideo,ogg&partnerId=16

3. Title: |FM RADIO| - 98.1 - Kiss FM (Soul)
URL: http://opml.radiotime.com/Tune.ashx?id=s33224&formats=aac,mp3,wma,wmpro,wmvoice,wmvideo,ogg&partnerId=16

4. Title: |FM RADIO| - 101.3 - Star 101.3 (Hot AC)
URL: http://opml.radiotime.com/Tune.ashx?id=s33187&formats=aac,mp3,wma,wmpro,wmvoice,wmvideo,ogg&partnerId=16

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Example of correctly formatted "FM" channels added automatically to Favorites:

1. Title: |FM RADIO| - 97.3 - Alice @ 97.3 (Hot AC)
URL: http://opml.radiotime.com/Tune.ashx?id=s33778&formats=aac,mp3,wma,wmpro,wmvoice,wmvideo,ogg&partnerId=16

2. Title: |FM RADIO| - 105.3 - Live 105 (Alternative)
URL: http://opml.radiotime.com/Tune.ashx?id=s33243&formats=aac,mp3,wma,wmpro,wmvoice,wmvideo,ogg&partnerId=16

3. Title: |FM RADIO| - 106.9 - KFRC.com Classic Hits (Classic Hits)
URL: http://opml.radiotime.com/Tune.ashx?id=s95538&formats=aac,mp3,wma,wmpro,wmvoice,wmvideo,ogg&partnerId=16

4. Title: |FM RADIO| - 88.5 - KQED-FM (Public)
URL: http://opml.radiotime.com/Tune.ashx?id=s34804&formats=aac,mp3,wma,wmpro,wmvoice,wmvideo,ogg&partnerId=16

First, I'd like to reproduce the problem. Can you give 2 full URLs that show the problem and an URL which is OK. These URLs should be the ones that SBS uses.

bpa
2011-01-23, 14:52
I can't test as the URLs which have the problem are geo-restricted to the US.

bpa
2011-01-23, 15:56
I did a bit more digging.

Softsqueeze does not implement one slimproto command META. This command passes back metadata back from player to SBS for display on player, WebUI etc. Softsqueeze does not implement the command so metadata is extracted by SBS.

So it is possible that SBS extraction of metadata is different to a hardware player. You can check this by enabling logging for player.streaming.remote to DEBUG and then run a test by starting/stopping playing a station on Softsqueeze and on a hardware player.

Log lines as follows are metadata received from player
Slim::Player::Protocols::HTTP::ParseMetadata (153) Icy metadata received: StreamTitle='Nemesis - Koobi Fora';StreamUrl='';

Log lines as below are metadata extracted by SBS
Slim::Player::Protocols::HTTP::readMetaData (115) Metadata: StreamTitle='Nemesis - Koobi Fora';StreamUrl='';

mkanet
2011-01-23, 22:13
Thanks BPA. What I dont understand is why half of all the local FM channels display Artist, Song Title, Favorite name correctly; while the rest of the FM channels do not. Wouldn't missing META support cause the same symptom for all the FM channels?

Anyway, I could be happy to run debug logs if you think the logs could help you fix the problem. I dont use dedicated hardware clients... only software based.

Thanks again for all your help,
MKANET

I did a bit more digging.

Softsqueeze does not implement one slimproto command META. This command passes back metadata back from player to SBS for display on player, WebUI etc. Softsqueeze does not implement the command so metadata is extracted by SBS.

So it is possible that SBS extraction of metadata is different to a hardware player. You can check this by enabling logging for player.streaming.remote to DEBUG and then run a test by starting/stopping playing a station on Softsqueeze and on a hardware player.

Log lines as follows are metadata received from player
Slim::Player::Protocols::HTTP::ParseMetadata (153) Icy metadata received: StreamTitle='Nemesis - Koobi Fora';StreamUrl='';

Log lines as below are metadata extracted by SBS
Slim::Player::Protocols::HTTP::readMetaData (115) Metadata: StreamTitle='Nemesis - Koobi Fora';StreamUrl='';

bpa
2011-01-24, 02:08
What I dont understand is why half of all the local FM channels display Artist, Song Title, Favorite name correctly; while the rest of the FM channels do not

Are there any differences/similarities between channels that work and those that don't such as service provider (e.g. streamtheworld, liquidcompass, iheart) or format (e.g. WMA, AAC, MP3) ?

Logs will help as it will indicate what metadata is being received.

I'm a bit confused about where you see the differences - since you only have software players - does this issue show up between two software players - if so which ones ?

mkanet
2011-01-24, 07:21
BPA, I really appreciate your time and help.

Just to be clear the problem in the display is not limited to softsqueeze and other software players. I can see the same kind of "mess up" in SBS's display as well. Its obvious to me the feed itself includes metadata thats not specifically formatted for Squeezebox products. It looks like they were meant more for the iphone/itunes; as they mention "Iphone Akamai" and "itunes" in feed metadata.

Here's what these radio stations look like in SBS:
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h283/mkanet/Screenshot-1384.jpg

I'm not sure why it would look correctly for someone else's squeezebox hardware client; but not look correctly in SBS. However, this doesnt prove that the Internet radio stations that display correctly don't come from the same provider/source; all I can see is they display correctly (both in SBS and softsqueeze. I can't see any data beyond Artist name/Song title/Station Name on the ones that display correctly.

-MKANET

Are there any differences/similarities between channels that work and those that don't such as service provider (e.g. streamtheworld, liquidcompass, iheart) or format (e.g. WMA, AAC, MP3) ?

Logs will help as it will indicate what metadata is being received.

I'm a bit confused about where you see the differences - since you only have software players - does this issue show up between two software players - if so which ones ?

bpa
2011-01-24, 08:22
I think Radiotime is the culprit. Normally metadata is just displayed without processing. The metadata you show seems to be formatted with id/value pairs expecting it to be processed again.

My suspicion about Radiotime is my experience with BBC. I'm not sure if this is still the case but if you play the BBC WMA URL taken from BBC - then no metadata is shown about program info whereas if the BBC WMA URL is sourced from Radiotime - program info is displayed. To test this case where there is a difference in display for the same station, the initiating URL being played needs to be known and the format of the stream that ultimately plays.