PDA

View Full Version : SqueezePad or iPeng?

michael123
2011-01-21, 10:08
What are the main differences between these two?

In general, I would like to see some better search capabilities than these in Squeezebox (like searching by sample size, e.g. 24bit or 16bit)

I need also album art view similar to Theater View in J.River, or iTunes..

At the moment, the interface I saw in sample pictures is quite simplistic

Or..?

bluegaspode
2011-01-21, 12:55
If you search this forum you will get plenty of information about both. And a lot of comparisons have been made already here (and often come to the conclusion, that in the end only your own taste decides).

This mixed with the available pictures, homepages, App descriptions or YouTube videos should help you with your decision making?

pippin
2011-01-21, 13:02
In general, I would like to see some better search capabilities than these in Squeezebox (like searching by sample size, e.g. 24bit or 16bit)

There are no differences in search categories, iPeng has an optional search function that shows all hits in the local library immediately (Artists, Genres, Albums and Tracks). Plus it's more readily available because there's a permanent search entry field on the main screen, up in the top right:
http://penguinlovesmusic.de/wp-content/gallery/ipeng4ipad/img_0104.png

What do you expect from a Theater View?
iPeng has three screen savers that can be viewed from a distance, one showing the big cover art and current track details, one showing the current playlist and one for Lyrics:
http://penguinlovesmusic.de/wp-content/gallery/ipeng4ipad/img_0115.png
http://penguinlovesmusic.de/wp-content/gallery/ipeng4ipad/img_0117.png

browellm
2011-01-23, 05:11
What are the main differences between these two?

At the moment, the interface I saw in sample pictures is quite simplistic

Or..?

Why don't you do a search, or even just browse as the topics aren't even off the second page?

The straightforward answer is to buy both.

michael123
2011-01-23, 05:29
Why don't you do a search, or even just browse as the topics aren't even off the second page?
Believe me, I did a search..
Products look very close, but I found Squeezecenter web interface somewhat superior.. I would like to see J.River functionality here (search, browsing), Meridian Sooloos, etc.

The straightforward answer is to buy both.
Yep, and then to write here about their differences.. Great

pippin
2011-01-23, 05:56
Believe me, I did a search..
Products look very close, but I found Squeezecenter web interface somewhat superior.. I would like to see J.River functionality here (search, browsing), Meridian Sooloos, etc.

What exactly do you want from these Apps, I don't really understand that.

You can't do what the Squeezebox doesn't support, obviously and search is one of these cases. Since the music data is not on the iPad, you can't search for things to which you don't have access through Squeezebox server's database interface.
It's been a long-standing question from me whether someone wants to write a better search plugin but so far it's not there.

So search will be pretty much what it is now until something changes on the server side.
In iPeng I try to smooth some things regarding search result presentation compared to the "native" search on SBS/SqueezePlay but there will not be additional search parameters or a more complex logic.
The advanced search from the Web UI is not available through the API for the server.

michael123
2011-01-23, 06:00
Maybe you can develop also server-side to assist the iPad application.
SC database has all the necessary info, right?

Anyway, just thinking..

pippin
2011-01-23, 06:02
Maybe you can develop also server-side to assist the iPad application.
SC database has all the necessary info, right?

You still didn't answer my question what you regard as "necessary", so I don't know.

And no, I won't assist server side for now since
a) I have enough to do on the client side so far and
b) I won't touch Perl.

michael123
2011-01-23, 06:04
You still didn't answer my question what you regard as "necessary", so I don't know.

And no, I won't assist server side for now since
a) I have enough to do on the client side so far and
b) I won't touch Perl.

a) Nice! Do you have sort of a roadmap for 2011?
b) I completely understand you :)

pippin
2011-01-23, 06:09
a) Nice! Do you have sort of a roadmap for 2011?

Actually, yes, but right now I can't tell it because of some, say, legal struggle I'm having with it.
But quite a bit of interesting stuff to come, quite a bit of it also already developed and just waiting for release.

Apart from that I always stated I'm not completely happy with the main screen in iPeng for iPad so that's in for a redesign. I do have a better one now but some other things have higher priority right now.

gorman
2011-01-25, 15:57
Apart from that I always stated I'm not completely happy with the main screen in iPeng for iPad so that's in for a redesign. I do have a better one now but some other things have higher priority right now.Glad to read this. I often surprise myself thinking that I'd rather use an iPeng for iPhone at native res on the iPad, rather than iPeng for iPad. With the former you really nailed UI. With the latter... Not so much, IMHO.

rcampbel3
2011-01-25, 20:39
I have ipeng, ipeng for ipad, and squeezepad.

I used ipeng on iphone for a long time, but now I find squeezepad to be my main music controller in the house.

Squeezepad interface is IMHO, simpler and cleaner for just controlling music playback, which for me involves selecting a music source, navigating my favorites menu, and controlling volume.

I wish squeezepad could use the volume toggle to raise / lower selected squeezebox volume

I wish squeezepad had ipeng's system for showing which players are linked, and the same way to unlink/reconfigure.

I wish ipeng for ipad had a simpler ui

I love the software player in squeezepad -- great for testing out streaming stations when I'm hunting them down

ipeng does a better jobs of showing the POWER STATE of all squeezeboxes -- perhaps you need a bunch of squeezeboxes before this becomes important, but I wish squeezepad icons conveyed power state

I wish both of these had some relatively simple way to do an 'all off' -- I have 6+ players...

Still wonder why there's no straight port of squeezeplay to iOS... not that it would be BETTER than ipen or sqeezepad... just that it *should* be possible :)

Thanks to both the respective authors!

-Ross

pippin
2011-01-26, 02:51
Still wonder why there's no straight port of squeezeplay to iOS... not that it would be BETTER than ipen or sqeezepad... just that it *should* be possible :)

It would be possible but it would suck.
No index bars?
Players only accessible through the main menu tree?
No direct access to the playback controls from the main menu?

Apart from: "Direct Port" in this case would still be a complete rewrite because you can't use _any_ of the SqueezePlay code on iPad since interpreted languages are not allowed by Apple.

andynormancx
2011-01-26, 03:47
I was under the impression that things like lua are now allowed within apps, as long as they only run the scripts shipped as part of the app and don't run downloaded or user entered scripts.

Not that being able to use the lua from SqueezePlay would suddenly make it either easy or sensible to port to iOS. Not sure the licensing terms would allow a third party to ship it anyway ?

bluegaspode
2011-01-26, 06:36
Not sure the licensing terms would allow a third party to ship it anyway ?
BSD license of sourcecode shouldn't be a problem
All images are a problem, because there isn't explicit licensing terms for them (other than 'you have to get written permission by logitech').

And the most interesting stuff (ARM-build of SpotifyLib or a WMA-decoder) is not available or usable anyway.

And after such a lot of work - you have a program that would only get one star because everyone is complaining, that it isn't using the iPad/iPhone as good as it could.

andynormancx
2011-01-26, 09:23
And after such a lot of work - you have a program that would only get one star because everyone is complaining, that it isn't using the iPad/iPhone as good as it could.

I couldn't agree more.

holterzoff
2011-01-30, 15:33
Just to get back to the initial question, after fiddling with ipeng and its interface for a long time, I tried squeeze pad and was immediately hooked. Very clear, very fast, a joy to use. Yes ipeng has more features, but to control your squeezes squeezepad is more than enough. Got the possibility of streaming to the iPad too (in app buy). This is of course personal taste, and for others ipeng works well, but I can give a clear recommendation for squeezepad.
Cheers

michael123
2011-01-30, 16:37
Just to get back to the initial question, after fiddling with ipeng and its interface for a long time, I tried squeeze pad and was immediately hooked. Very clear, very fast, a joy to use. Yes ipeng has more features, but to control your squeezes squeezepad is more than enough. Got the possibility of streaming to the iPad too (in app buy). This is of course personal taste, and for others ipeng works well, but I can give a clear recommendation for squeezepad.
Cheers

thanks!
Which features are unique to iPeng?

pippin
2011-01-30, 16:53
thanks!

It doesn't have a lot of really unique features in itself, OK, a few: server rescan, manual WOL, Lyrics screen saver, playlist screen saver, some additional search features, relative volume synchronization, show all tracks of an artist,... OK maybe not so few after all.

What it does differently than SqueezePad is that there is a lot of stuff that is hard-coded into iPeng to allow faster access than through the deep menu structure of the SqueezePlay interface SqueezePad is using.

One example is player management. In iPeng you can control all of your players in one place (through a drop-down menu), change their powerstate and volume and you can change synchronization settings. In SqueezePlay you have to do this through settings menus.
Another example is Search: iPeng has a search entry field on the main screen where you can enter a search text and get immediate results, in SqueezePad you need to go through the menu to get to search.
This gives SqueezePad a somewhat "cleaner" interface (all the functionality in iPeng has to "go" somewhere), granted.

Speed differences are mainly due to two aspects:
1. iPeng uses much bigger artwork, for stuff like a cover wall. This puts additional load on the server to generate these images the first time
2. iPeng shows more information in library menus (Albums, Tracks), the more complex queries to get that information can indeed be slower. In this case it's true that iPeng trades performance for functionality.

michael123
2011-01-30, 17:50
Regarding WOL - my storage server - Lime unRaid - goes asleep after 1hr of inactivity, that's how I configured it.. Is it possible to wake it up from the iPeng? if so, it would be great!

pippin
2011-01-30, 17:59
Regarding WOL - my storage server - Lime unRaid - goes asleep after 1hr of inactivity, that's how I configured it.. Is it possible to wake it up from the iPeng? if so, it would be great!

If it does support WOL, yes.
There are two ways how you can set WOL in iPeng:
1. "Automatic" mode (the default) will send a WOL packet on startup, whenever you return to the App and in periodic intervals while it runs.
2. "Manual" mode gives you a "power" button to send the WOL manually; probably not important in your case, this is more important for people who also want to send their servers to sleep with iPeng, e.g. through SvrPowerControl.

michael123
2011-01-30, 18:05
If it does support WOL, yes.
There are two ways how you can set WOL in iPeng:
1. "Automatic" mode (the default) will send a WOL packet on startup, whenever you return to the App and in periodic intervals while it runs.
2. "Manual" mode gives you a "power" button to send the WOL manually; probably not important in your case, this is more important for people who also want to send their servers to sleep with iPeng, e.g. through SvrPowerControl.

yes, it supports WOL.
But it is separate storage server, not the one that runs Squeezecenter..
So I need to specify mac address and IP.

pippin
2011-01-30, 18:22
yes, it supports WOL.
But it is separate storage server, not the one that runs Squeezecenter..
So I need to specify mac address and IP.

That doesn't matter. There's a manual override for the MAC (iPeng detects is automatically but you can also enter your own one).
You can even set two for both of your servers if you like, just add the storage server manually in the settings. iPeng will think it is a Squeezebox Server but that doesn't really matter if you don't care about a few unsuccessful contact requests on port 9000 :)
You usually don't need to specify an IP address unless your server is behind a router and if it is, you need to do as mentioned above (configure a new server) and define the port to be used, too.

pippin
2011-01-30, 18:31
Here's how that screen looks in iPeng.
URL and MAC below the server name are what iPeng has detected, in the entry field below you can change the MAC, by default, the automatically detected one will be in there.

michael123
2011-01-30, 19:02
thanks,
I am few steps closer to buying an iPeng for iPad :)

P.S. These unsuccessful attempts on port 9000 are transparent for me, I do not see any errors popping up, right?

pippin
2011-01-31, 00:34
thanks,
I am few steps closer to buying an iPeng for iPad :)

P.S. These unsuccessful attempts on port 9000 are transparent for me, I do not see any errors popping up, right?

No, no errors. iPeng expects some servers to be unreachable but still tries every 30s or so in case they come up. E.g. through WOL.

Another difference: iPeng shows more than one server (and connected players) at a time which can be handy if you use e.g. MySB.

bluegaspode
2011-01-31, 00:54
For the records:
When Pippin talks of 'manual WOL' it just means you have to manually press a button.
Automatic WOL (i.e. sending out a WOL to a configured target on a regular basis) exists in SqueezePad as well.

As often said SqueezePad focusses on keeping stuff that you need everyday easy and intuitive. Things that one only needs once a month or less are left in their original menus.
And lets face it: both depend on the SqueezeBox server which limits what both can do most. This just leaves some small areas like multiple screensavers or how to render the synchronization state.

So its not just single users that write me stuff like this

after fiddling with ipeng and its interface for a long time, I tried squeeze pad and was immediately hooked. Very clear, very fast, a joy to use. Yes ipeng has more features, but to control your squeezes squeezepad is more than enough.
which underlines this is a good philosophy.

In the end it's up to the user but personally I would never trade feature count against my joy to actually use the stuff ;)

pippin
2011-01-31, 01:20
As often said SqueezePad focusses on keeping stuff that you need everyday easy and intuitive. Things that one only needs once a month or less are left in their original menus.

I would say: things only certain users use.
Take shuffle and repeat. That's NEVER something you use once a month. It's either something you _never_ use - in which case you are probably fine with SqueezePad's UI - or several times a day - in which case you are probably not.

And lets face it: both depend on the SqueezeBox server which limits what both can do most. This just leaves some small areas like multiple screensavers or how to render the synchronization state.

... Or how you do volume control
... or whether you display big artwork or tiny stamps.
Face it, there's a lot you can do with that server if you don't just use SqueezePlay menus as they are.

So its not just single users that write me stuff like this

But you should probably mention that a lot of them compare it to iPeng on iPhone as you can see here:

for example, is easy in SqueezePad, via the dropdown, but in iPeng you need to do some cryptic left-scroll or right-scroll

iPeng for iPad also has a drop-down menu, even in pretty much the same place... It's just soooo much easier to place functionality on the big iPad screen.

And how important getting rid of that swiping _really_ is to users you can see in my feature poll:
http://forums.slimdevices.com/poll.php?do=showresults&pollid=162
After all, everybody was talking about using gestures instead of buttons, right...

In the end it's up to the user but personally I would never trade feature count against my joy to actually use the stuff ;)
Definitely. And using only 25% of the screen for the stuff I actually want to see - my music - and always having to navigate deep menu structures is simply not a joy for everybody ;)

The one thing I admit you really have an edge is the general appeal of the main screen, I was never happy with that in iPeng for iPad, it's a first try, will get better...

But yes, we have different philosophies here: I would never trade simple to use for simple to understand, I want an App to be easy and fast to use long term, not in the first five minutes only, those who only use it once a month may use more simple solutions.

holterzoff
2011-01-31, 01:56
The point that squeezepad has, is to make a complex operation (controlling a large music library) very simple. It is performant enough to run smooth with my qnap119. I had difficulties with ipeng in that regard, maybe it runs smoother with a faster processor. (and yes I allowed cover image scaling). I think artwork is presented sharp enough in squeezepad, navigationwise squeezepad has some very nice touches. The ability to tap or press long on a title and get a different context menu is intuitive and unique. Ipeng has advantages in presenting player setup, but for me with only 2 clients it is not that important. I' m a 3d designer working for a German tv broadcaster, I've been doing this for nearly 20 years and I assure you squeezepad is good application design.

pippin
2011-01-31, 02:22
It is performant enough to run smooth with my qnap119. I had difficulties with ipeng in that regard, maybe it runs smoother with a faster processor.
What kind of difficulties? Apart from the larger artwork, there is only one thing where iPeng really requests things differently from SqueezePad and that is track lists (contents of albums). Here it can really be different on slower servers because iPeng shows Artist and track duration while SqueezePad only shows the title, this seems to make a difference on the server query.
It's all not a question of App performance, it all comes down to the information you want to display, any iPad App can run circles around the information coming in from the server.

I admit it's a balancing issue. If I look at the list of feature requests I did _not_ implement due to this... (e.g. to show all artists with each track or album or to also show file type information).

The ability to tap or press long on a title and get a different context menu is intuitive and unique.

No, it's not unique, it's exactly the same in iPeng, actually.

I' m a 3d designer working for a German tv broadcaster, I've been doing this for nearly 20 years and I assure you squeezepad is good application design.
Well, as I said: I admit SqueezePad currently has an edge on the design.

bluegaspode
2011-01-31, 03:48
Another difference: iPeng shows more than one server (and connected players) at a time which can be handy if you use e.g. MySB.
pippin - when you describe stuff, please elaborate both sides. Such sentences easily can be interpreted as 'SqueezePad cannot do MySB.com' by users who don't know the backgrounds.

I won't get into your other post.
If we start to comment on each others single sentences then something must be very wrong.

I think counting 'unique features' like you did is not the right approach (I do have a comment/argument/opinion on each of them by the way as well, but should we really start getting into nitpicking mode now? And does it really help users to see that we don't agree on certain points over and over again?).

As written in every thread like this one: the most important difference of both products is our philosophy on how to approach things. User need to decide between those first, otherwise they will get unhappy with the App anyway.
Judging on pure feature count just doesn't make any sense.

I swiss army knife is nice but has a different design decision than my everyday knife I use to slice the bread. For some reason I don't own a swiss army knife, because - though many features - they just get into the way.

I'm happy to answer every user who wants to solve a specific problem with one of the Apps how is it done in both Apps - then we can get constructive and the user can really decide for his particular problem what is the better fit for him.

As an example: even users who more often use repeat and shuffle might find the SqueezePad way sufficient (one tap on home, one tap on settings).
So just saying: "a unique feature of iPeng is to have icons/buttons for shuffle and repeat on the mainscreen" completely misses the point.
First because it makes the impression, that a shuffle/repeat feature is maybe missing in the other App, second because there are reasons why some things are as they are - and if they are explained users will understand and decide for themself, if the other unique feature "SqueezePad has a very clean interface, which is not cluttered with a lot of controls and buttons on the main screen, making it easier to hit stuff" has some value for him as well.

Another example would be the WOL thing. If the users asks 'can I do this an that' it's easy to answer 'yes possible' or 'you would do it this way with this App'.
You just said 'manual WOL' is a unique feature of iPeng which points the user who doesn't have the background in a completely wrong direction (thinking that only iPeng has WOL) as you can see from the following posts.

This is not how we should handle threads like this.

One other problem: feature counts are already outdated again within a single month, this thread stays forever on Google.

To stress the point:
iPeng for instance does not have a playback feature.
Did not have it for over two years - and SqueezePad had it within 6 month after the first version was released (even though I'm only programming 2-3 hours a day).
So with this development speed - what now about missing or unique features? Who knows what points from your list are already solved in SqueezePad within the next 3 months?

Of course you and me know that this is just a matter of time until playback arrives also in iPeng. But noone else would know who just reads the thread about unique features at a certain spot in time.

Having said all that.
Let's get back to the positive way we used to have when writing about each others App.

pippin
2011-01-31, 04:24
pippin - when you describe stuff, please elaborate both sides. Such sentences easily can be interpreted as 'SqueezePad cannot do MySB.com' by users who don't know the backgrounds.

Please read it again. I don't think it can be interpreted like that. I never stated that SqueezePad can't do MySB, I said it can't handle more than one server at a time. For example you can't switch a player between servers with SqueezePad.

I think counting 'unique features' like you did is not the right approach

I agree, but the other poster asked for exactly that.
[/quote]
And does it really help users to see that we don't agree on certain points over and over again?).
[/quote]
No, but well, it's you doing that as much as I do...

As written in every thread like this one: the most important difference of both products is our philosophy on how to approach things. User need to decide between those first, otherwise they will get unhappy with the App anyway.
Judging on pure feature count just doesn't make any sense.

Full ack.

I'm happy to answer every user who wants to solve a specific problem with one of the Apps how is it done in both Apps - then we can get constructive and the user can really decide for his particular problem what is the better fit for him.

In this case the user asked

As an example: even users who more often use repeat and shuffle might find the SqueezePad way sufficient (one tap on home, one tap on settings).
So just saying: "a unique feature of iPeng is to have icons/buttons for shuffle and repeat on the mainscreen" completely misses the point.
First because it makes the impression, that a shuffle/repeat feature is maybe missing in the other App

No, I explicitly said that you have to use menus for that. There are plenty of other such examples that I did not mention.

second because there are reasons why some things are as they are - and if they are explained users will understand and decide for themself, if the other unique feature "SqueezePad has a very clean interface, which is not cluttered with a lot of controls and buttons on the main screen, making it easier to hit stuff" has some value for him as well.

Of course. Ans as long as you keep repeating that you believe it's easier to use if you bury the functionality in a deep menu I will keep repeating that it's not.
It's as simple as that.

Another example would be the WOL thing. If the users asks 'can I do this an that' it's easy to answer 'yes possible' or 'you would do it this way with this App'.
You just said 'manual WOL' is a unique feature of iPeng which points the user who doesn't have the background in a completely wrong direction (thinking that only iPeng has WOL) as you can see from the following posts.

Sorry, but you are putting things in the wrong order again. Read back.
I mentioned manual WOL as an answer to the question of what is unique in iPeng, the OP was asking for unique features!
I did NOT state that WOL is unique to iPeng in my whole answer to his WOL question which he only asked AFTER I posted that list.
Please show me where you keep explaining to your users how they could handle things in iPeng?

So with this development speed - what now about missing or unique features? Who knows what points from your list are already solved in SqueezePad within the next 3 months?

Well, development speed is also a question of priorities. And you know very well why playback hasn't been around for iPeng for the last month and you don't want me to elaborate on that over here, too, believe me.

And again: I don't believe either that feature count is it. And I _do_ mention whenever that comes up that there aren't really a lot of feature differences but that the philosophy is more important.
But as long as you keep falsely claiming that iPeng was more complex to use because it has more features I keep claiming that it's not.
And no, it's not only about putting a lot of buttons on the home screen (after all you keep criticizing iPeng for iPhone for NOT doing that where you have to use the swipe gesture).

It's probably not alway obvious to understand because it does a lot of things more efficient than SqueezePad, as in FASTER to use. Yes, I rank faster to use over easier to understand while you rank easier to understand higher. That's what in the end the philosophical differences between the Apps boil down to.
I try to mitigate that through extensive help functionality but in the end there might be a lot of users who prefer your approach over mine, that's ok.

Let's get back to the positive way we used to have when writing about each others App.

Agreed. But then PLEASE stop making ridiculously false claims like "Playback arrives on iPad" which was just plain wrong in every conceivable way.

michael123
2011-01-31, 04:49
so, I do not understand:

Is it possible to wake up NAS (not Squeezecenter! but its storage) from within SqueezePad?

pippin
2011-01-31, 05:33
so, I do not understand:

Is it possible to wake up NAS (not Squeezecenter! but its storage) from within SqueezePad?

It depends on your setup. If you only need to wake up the NAS (not also the Squeezebox Server machine) and if you don't have to enter an IP address for the WOL (for a router or a different subnet), in short, if you have a "normal" network configuration, it should work.

bluegaspode
2011-01-31, 13:35
so, I do not understand:

In SqueezePad you can configure an arbitrary MAC address of one device that should be woken up.
SqueezePad then broadcasts a magic packet according to the specification (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wake-on-LAN) to all devices in your network (and the right one will receive it and if configured correctly will wake up).

SqueezePad will send the WOL when you start the App and every five minutes as long as it's in the foreground.

As pippin wrote with SqueezePad you won't be able to wake a device across router/firewall boundaries (this is called 'Subnet Directed Broadcasts' in the Wikipedia article).
If you really need to wake your device over the the internet (and have a router that would allow that) you would need a free App like 'WOL Control', you won't be able to do that with SqueezePad.

Mnyb
2011-01-31, 13:51
To answer the original q get both apps, they cost like a pizza each, run both for a while decide later if ever :)

Peter314
2011-01-31, 14:01
Only one way to settle this: http://www.googlefight.com/index.php?lang=en_GB&word1=squeezepad&word2=ipeng

maggior
2011-01-31, 14:23
To answer the original q get both apps, they cost like a pizza each, run both for a while decide later if ever :)

In this neck of the woods, these apps are even cheaper than a pizza. It certainly puts it into perspective.

bluegaspode
2011-01-31, 14:53
Only one way to settle this: http://www.googlefight.com/index.php?lang=en_GB&word1=squeezepad&word2=ipeng

This is a bit unfair given that iPeng (iPhone) is around as well and for a much longer time.

I hoped to avoid getting a discussion based on statistics (and I'm very happy to remove this post, if the useless comparison with google is removed as well, but this thread is about decision making and a lot of people read here, so I won't give up a fight until we end with a fair draw)

If I'm allowed to chose my own statistics and battle ground, I prefer AppStore Ranks instead
http://www.appannie.com/squeezepad/ranking/#view=ranks
http://www.appannie.com/ipeng-for-ipad/ranking/#view=ranks

Of course on this site you will also find statistics in favour of iPeng (like highest rank ever reached or if you look at timelines) ...
In the end both Apps do extremly well (though it's not enough to quit my daytime job and to feed my family) and don't have to fear any fight. Compare to Squeezey if you like to.

Also note that that these ranks change quite a lot of time, so tomorrow (or whenever one releases a new version to create some buzz) everything will look different again (I still take my right to make a snapshot from today, just to have a comparison in about a year)

Also these ranks won't help you at all to find the better fit for your own preferences - so I need to quote Mnyb again:

To answer the original q get both apps, they cost like a pizza each, run both for a while decide later if ever

It's the only valid answer and you even do something good for your body :D
There is a reason both Apps have 4-5 stars on average (with a big tendency to 5 stars), which is not easy if you compare to any other App out there on the Store.

michael123
2011-01-31, 16:31
Recent beta of 7.6 introduced some nasty bug that all thumbnails disappeared.
http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=16814
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=84797

How is it handled with iPeng/SqueezePad?
Will I see thumbnails or I completely depend on Squeeze team?

Mnyb
2011-01-31, 18:54
To put it into my perspective I like iPeng because it,s NOT emulating squeezeplay at all.
Squeezeplay is not a particulary good UI to begin with.
It,s cool that pippin has singelhandidly outwitted the whole logitech team in UI design :)

SqueezePad has its player to compete with. And while still close to squeezeplay improves on it greatly, by making better use a touch screen than Touch.
Touch's UI is to tethered to it,s ir paradigm even in touch skin if that made sense ?

iPeng can be qurkier to be fair, the big np screen while being very cool is hard to handle i can't find the rigth sweep gesture to shift between list and big cover art, the exactly same gesture that gave you a list instead of a big art does no bring back the art i try 20-30 times & then it's back but i still cant figure how i did it. Sometimes you have a hard time bringing the list too swiping from the ritgh nothinh happens ?
Then you do the exact same move later and you get a list ? Huh.

I'll keep both off them.

Controller will just sit there in a corner now ;)

guidof
2011-01-31, 20:52
Not SqueezePad or iPeng but SqueezePad and iPeng.

(I find them both useful, though I use SqueezePad most of the time).

Guido F.

michael123
2011-01-31, 20:57

?

Mnyb
2011-01-31, 23:18

Images are mostly very likely provided by the same Artwor.db and scale functions.

michael123
2011-01-31, 23:20
Images are mostly very likely provided by the same Artwor.db and scale functions.

does not answer my question...

Mnyb
2011-01-31, 23:24

ThumbNail=image

pippin
2011-01-31, 23:26

Both get their artwork for your library from the server so if the server doesn't deliver artwork they will not show any.

michael123
2011-01-31, 23:28
ThumbNail=image

I understood you, but it is a guess..

Only big thumbnails on the right above the playlist is not displayed, as you can see here

pippin
2011-01-31, 23:28
@Mnyb
Do you have that swipe issue on iPad??

bluegaspode
2011-01-31, 23:50
I understood you, but it is a guess..

Only big thumbnails on the right above the playlist is not displayed, as you can see here
Both Apps get all artwork (scaled and unscaled) from the server. If there are errors present on the web interface or the players which are caused by the server, chances are very high that it won't work in any of the Apps.
We don't have direct access to the images or songs of your library.

This by the way is also one of the reason I'll never claim compatibility with 7.6 betas. Everyday anything can (and will) break without us being able to influence it. Even worse: even i we were able to fix it, it would take about 10days until the changes are reviewed by Apple.

pippin
2011-02-01, 10:40
If I'm allowed to chose my own statistics and battle ground, I prefer AppStore Ranks instead
http://www.appannie.com/squeezepad/ranking/#view=ranks
http://www.appannie.com/ipeng-for-ipad/ranking/#view=ranks

Well, now TODAY I'm completely fine with that comparison ;) Even without a new release.
Which just shows how volatile statistics can be.

Mnyb
2011-02-01, 10:50
@Mnyb
Do you have that swipe issue on iPad??

Yes iPad, works better to get pl with 2 fingers spaced apart and angled 45 degres swipe from the rigth.

To remove the pl a gentle but medium fast 1 finger on the higlithed cover to the left

bluegaspode
2011-02-01, 10:52
Well, now TODAY I'm completely fine with that comparison ;) Even without a new release.
Which just shows how volatile statistics can be.

*sniff*

Ok - I consider this now a fair tie :)!