PDA

View Full Version : New to the sound stage, looking for some help to get started

zoqi
2011-01-20, 14:27
Hiya Audiophiles,

I need some help getting started with a new cheap but yet very good quality 2.0 "Hifi system".

For starters I just want two simple speakers with good sound reproduction.
At the moment I got a SB Touch and I've been using Sennheiser HD595 for listning to my FLAC albums.

Now the time has come to upgrade to a bit more than mere headphones. I am looking for getting an amp and some speakers, either new or second hand.
I've been thinking about getting a T-amp, but I am a bit puzzled for when it comes to the speakers.
I don't want to be spending more than 80 for the speakers as I plan to build a full surround set and use these for rear or front later on.

Some input on the matter would be much appreciated:>

michael123
2011-01-21, 10:05
I think you will get much better sound **within your budget** if you stick to headphones..

aubuti
2011-01-21, 10:14
There's not much you can do within that budget, certainly not in the "Audiophiles" forum. One option would be to forget about the T-amp for now, and instead combine those funds with the speaker budget to buy a pair of self-powered speakers such as the Audioengine 2 (A2, see http://www.audioengine.org.uk/). That probably is a diversion from your upgrade path to a surround system, but it may be the best fidelity you'll find for your budget.

zoqi
2011-01-21, 12:12
My plan is to the speakers 2nd hand, and I have seen some good offers on for example Wharfedale Diamond 9.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Wharfedale-Diamond-9-1-Main-Stereo-Speakers-/150548282834?pt=UK_AudioVideoElectronics_HomeAudio HiFi_HiFiSpeakers&hash=item230d607dd2#ht_500wt_1156 (even cheaper than that in a lot of cases)
I reckon they would be quite decent for rear speakers later?

Phil Leigh
2011-01-21, 12:22
My plan is to the speakers 2nd hand, and I have seen some good offers on for example Wharfedale Diamond 9.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Wharfedale-Diamond-9-1-Main-Stereo-Speakers-/150548282834?pt=UK_AudioVideoElectronics_HomeAudio HiFi_HiFiSpeakers&hash=item230d607dd2#ht_500wt_1156 (even cheaper than that in a lot of cases)
I reckon they would be quite decent for rear speakers later?

yes they would be OK for rears at a later time... and OK for mains to start with.

zoqi
2011-01-21, 14:27
Thanks for the replies.
The audioengine A5 seems really interesting, though it does defeat my purpose of getting speakers now which later can be turned into my surround system.
I'm gonna look more into some good 2nd hand deals of older, but still good speakers.

Phil Leigh
2011-01-22, 02:22
Thanks for the replies.
The audioengine A5 seems really interesting, though it does defeat my purpose of getting speakers now which later can be turned into my surround system.
I'm gonna look more into some good 2nd hand deals of older, but still good speakers.
I'm not sure I fully understand your goals, but IF you are eventually aiming for a high quality 5.1 system, then there are 3 factors I consider vital to success:

1) The front, centre and rear speakers need to use matched drivers for treble and midrange (bass doesn't matter). This means speakers from one range, from one manufacturer
2) the AV amp is critical and a 250 receiver simply will not do!
3) proper setup/calibraion is vital or it will never sound great, no matter what calibre of equipment is being used

Mnyb
2011-01-22, 02:51
I'm not sure I fully understand your goals, but IF you are eventually aiming for a high quality 5.1 system, then there are 3 factors I consider vital to success:

1) The front, centre and rear speakers need to use matched drivers for treble and midrange (bass doesn't matter). This means speakers from one range, from one manufacturer
2) the AV amp is critical and a 250 receiver simply will not do!
3) proper setup/calibraion is vital or it will never sound great, no matter what calibre of equipment is being used

Especially the center almost all sound comes from it when watching TV and most dialogue in movies , if you can arrange the treble and midrange of center and front at the same height it's very good, placing the center 10cm from the floor just s*ck's having midrange to close to the floor is never a good thing.

And stay clear of the bose acoustimess system ;) it plain just don't work and cost's to much .(just saying bose have a huge ad budget much bigger than thier r&d likely to suck in newbies to hifi)

Curt962
2011-01-22, 06:40
+1 for the AudioEngine A5's. I use these with a Touch in my "traveling" audio system,and I simply do not know how one could do better for anything near the price. The A5s are like the Touch in the sense that they deliver a
very high return on your investment. They sound far better than the price tag would ever suggest, and this is in stark contrast to so many audio products that promise the moon,...but don't deliver. Ready to play right out of the box...nothing else to buy.

Later, the A5s could easily be pressed into rear channel duty in a surround system, etc...

Super product.

zoqi
2011-01-22, 08:09
What about some Mission 780s? I know someone who can give me a good deal.

earwaxer9
2011-01-25, 19:10
If you are not afraid to tinker a bit you could go with an amp from 41hz.
http://www.41hz.com/
Definitely a cheap way to get into class D/T.
Speakers could be had cheaply from Parts Express - either DIY or finished. I personally like the MMG's from Magnepan.
You could probably build some nice speakers with a ribbon tweeter through Parts Express.

zoqi
2011-01-30, 10:13
Which analogue interconnect cables (RCA) would be recommended for use between a squeezebox and a ta2024. My speakers are a pair of Diamond 9.1.

At the moment I am using a pair of cheap old tesco ones and they aren't very great.
Anything which could be recommended within 20?
0.5m of length is enough as the amp and SB is just next to each other.

aubuti
2011-01-30, 10:33
I have no idea how much shipping would be to the other side of the pond, but Seattle-based Blue Jeans Cable (www.bluejeanscable.com) do a great job of high-quality and relatively inexpensive cables, with no snake oil.

zoqi
2011-01-30, 11:00
Think the shipping time and cost would be too high.
Been looking at some Chord Crimson Plus for about 30, it's tempting to invest in something that would lost for a while.

darrenyeats
2011-01-31, 13:27
I have no idea how much shipping would be to the other side of the pond, but Seattle-based Blue Jeans Cable (www.bluejeanscable.com) do a great job of high-quality and relatively inexpensive cables, with no snake oil.

They have a UK-focused website: http://www.bluejeanscable.co.uk/

I believe they still ship from Stateside though.

darrenyeats
2011-02-05, 10:28
They have a UK-focused website: http://www.bluejeanscable.co.uk/

I believe they still ship from Stateside though.

BTW I ordered a couple of digital cables from Blue Jeans on 31 Jan (1.5m coax and 0.5m optical). They were shipped on 2 Feb and arrived on 4 Feb! Total cost 31.28 and they look well put together.
Darren