PDA

View Full Version : Two booms, two laptops, one music file

Frank Duck
2011-01-19, 21:41
I have laptops A & B; boom C & D and one music source E which is located on a storage device attached to laptop A. Squeezebox server (SS) is installed on each laptop so that laptop A serves boom C and laptop B serves boom D. Confused yet? Here's the issue- I want to designate my music source E on laptop B, obviously resident on laptop A. When I do that SS on laptop B jumps to SS as it refreshes, but the one on laptop A and the music source there. When I open SS on laptop B, it has no boom connected with it and I have to reorient it to get service back. Effectively this means I can't listen to music on boom D. Congratulations if you follow all this, but the problem has only arisen with one of the updates of SS 7.5 when the idea of "Extras" and Music Source seems to have begun.
Comments and help welcome.

aubuti
2011-01-19, 22:16
First, what are you trying to achieve by running two different instances of SBS? Especially when you only have one music source (E). Why can't you have one laptop serve both Booms? In other words, run SBS on A and connect both C and D to it. You can still control the whole shebang with laptop B.

Also, I don't understand the sentence "When I do that SS on laptop B jumps to SS as it refreshes, but the one on laptop A and the music source there." Care to try rephrasing that one?

Frank Duck
2011-01-19, 23:53
I'm trying to minimize the physical distance between host laptop and boom (A is closest to C; and B is closest to D), recognizing that I could run from one laptop as you correctly say. It's just my own preference to minimize signal loss and the running around by keeping each laptop as close to boom(s) as possible. The laptops are located differently and for convenience I just want to use laptop A to access boom C if needed, and laptop B to drive boom D.

Consider SS on laptop B has no music source-so I change it to center on laptop A-the one on which music is resident. I do this using the Extras/Music Source from the home page of SS where it gives me the music resident choice-in answer to the question "Please select the music source you'd like to connect your player to." I enter that Music Source and as SS refreshes, it brings back the version of SS that links not to laptop B but to A.

Thanks for taking the time to think this through-I'm still pondering alternatives.

Skinny
2011-01-20, 01:47
I'm trying to minimize the physical distance between host laptop and boom (A is closest to C; and B is closest to D), recognizing that I could run from one laptop as you correctly say. It's just my own preference to minimize signal loss and the running around by keeping each laptop as close to boom(s) as possible. The laptops are located differently and for convenience I just want to use laptop A to access boom C if needed, and laptop B to drive boom D.

Consider SS on laptop B has no music source-so I change it to center on laptop A-the one on which music is resident. I do this using the Extras/Music Source from the home page of SS where it gives me the music resident choice-in answer to the question "Please select the music source you'd like to connect your player to." I enter that Music Source and as SS refreshes, it brings back the version of SS that links not to laptop B but to A.

Thanks for taking the time to think this through-I'm still pondering alternatives.

Hello,

Are all your devices A,B,C,D connected wirelessly to the same router? If that is the case, signal loss is not a relevant consideration. All communication between any of the devices will go through the router (B->router->D, not B->D). It doesn't matter if B and D are 1 m apart, the signal will travel via the router 50 m away and back. Also, the WLAN signal doesn't deteriorate in a way that affects sound quality. If the signal goes too weak, the bandwidth drops and you will suffer re-buffering (sound pausing, a counter on the display) on the Boom, and you will definitely know from that. If it works, it will sound perfect.

In most cases it really only makes sense to run one server (A) and control the system from wherever it is the most convenient at any time. Especially since you anyway need to have A running.

I made a big assumption here and have no idea about your level of knowledge in these matters. If your network layout is different, please elaborate on that.

-Skinny

garym
2011-01-20, 05:19
Hello,

Are all your devices A,B,C,D connected wirelessly to the same router? If that is the case, signal loss is not a relevant consideration. All communication between any of the devices will go through the router (B->router->D, not B->D). It doesn't matter if B and D are 1 m apart, the signal will travel via the router 50 m away and back. Also, the WLAN signal doesn't deteriorate in a way that affects sound quality. If the signal goes too weak, the bandwidth drops and you will suffer re-buffering (sound pausing, a counter on the display) on the Boom, and you will definitely know from that. If it works, it will sound perfect.

In most cases it really only makes sense to run one server (A) and control the system from wherever it is the most convenient at any time. Especially since you anyway need to have A running.

I made a big assumption here and have no idea about your level of knowledge in these matters. If your network layout is different, please elaborate on that.

-Skinny

+1 on Skinny's points. I think the OP may be misunderstanding how the different devices are communicating. At my house I have one computer serving as SbS, providing music to lots of players around the house. And I can control ALL of this from a separate laptop, my wife's laptop, my ipeng on iphone, the controller, etc. One server is definitely the best approach for the OP.

Frank Duck
2011-01-20, 07:41
Laptops A & B are networked on an ethernet wired network, between themselves and to other devices that use the music file E but not SS. The laptops use wireless routing to get to each boom C & D which themselves are not ethernet connected.

If I'm understanding correctly, I'm better advised to use one version of SS accessing the same version from both laptops A & B. I'll rearrange this today and if any concrns will followup. Thanks for all the help.

garym
2011-01-20, 07:48
Laptops A & B are networked on an ethernet wired network, between themselves and to other devices that use the music file E but not SS. The laptops use wireless routing to get to each boom C & D which themselves are not ethernet connected.

If I'm understanding correctly, I'm better advised to use one version of SS accessing the same version from both laptops A & B. I'll rearrange this today and if any concrns will followup. Thanks for all the help.

And remember, SbS program RUNS on one computer, but from any other computer on the network, you can access the SbS web control via entering this in the web browser of any of these computers:

http://192.168.1.18:9000/

where "192.168.1.18" is the IP address of the computer that is actually running the SbS program. Your IP address will be different from my example of course.

Skinny
2011-01-20, 10:18

Laptops A & B wired to router, A -> [ad-hoc] -> C, B -> [ad-hoc] -> D (this is how I understand your description above)? So you do not have an actual wireless router / access point? In that case, of course, the distance between A and C plays some role, but what I wrote about signal loss vs. sound quality still applies. Your setup is rather atypical, but if it works..

-Skinny