PDA

View Full Version : Strange behavior for squeezebox in Beijing

BeijingMike
2011-01-19, 01:06
Have two v3 squeezeboxes in Beijing that were working well last October when I was in Beijing. I went to the US for Christmas and just got back and when I turn them on, they both find the wireless network, get an IP address and then when they try to use squeezenetwork, the display goes dark. When I logon to squeezenetwork.com, it shows them as being connected. But, the displays on them locally are dark. I tried powering off and back on a few times, and once one of them said it was doing a firmware update, but then had a message it could not find squeezenetwork and the display went dark. Any ideas of what to do next?

WAD62
2011-01-19, 03:19
Have two v3 squeezeboxes in Beijing that were working well last October when I was in Beijing. I went to the US for Christmas and just got back and when I turn them on, they both find the wireless network, get an IP address and then when they try to use squeezenetwork, the display goes dark. When I logon to squeezenetwork.com, it shows them as being connected. But, the displays on them locally are dark. I tried powering off and back on a few times, and once one of them said it was doing a firmware update, but then had a message it could not find squeezenetwork and the display went dark. Any ideas of what to do next?

Do you have a squeezenetwork account? Have you entered the username and pword in the squeezenetwork settings of squeezeserver/center?

As you say it looks like it's trying to do a firmware upgrade, have you upgraded the server recently?

Mlaurence
2011-01-19, 09:34

Is it possible that mysqueezebox.com has gone behind the Great Firewall? My experience on two visits to China was that certain sites would come up "404 Not Found" but often they'd reappear. Since Squeezebox sites involve international media, perhaps they're being blocked...hopefully temporarily. Can you access mysqueezebox.com on your computer?

BeijingMike
2011-01-19, 23:07
Do you have a squeezenetwork account? Have you entered the username and pword in the squeezenetwork settings of squeezeserver/center?

As you say it looks like it's trying to do a firmware upgrade, have you upgraded the server recently?

Thanks for the suggestions. I do have a squeezenetwork account and was logged in on it so that I knew that both my boxes were connected, even though I could not see anything on the displays themselves.

Not sure what you mean about upgrading the server recently. I only use squeezenetwork to stream music, and dont use a local server.

BeijingMike
2011-01-19, 23:16
Is it possible that mysqueezebox.com has gone behind the Great Firewall? My experience on two visits to China was that certain sites would come up "404 Not Found" but often they'd reappear. Since Squeezebox sites involve international media, perhaps they're being blocked...hopefully temporarily. Can you access mysqueezebox.com on your computer?

Thanks for the suggestion regarding the Great Firewall. It comes and goes as you note, but it wasnt responsible for the problem. I discovered that while I was in the US, several neighbors installed wireless routers and were using the same channel as mine. That caused erratic reception with lots of dropouts. That meant the firmware update kept hanging. Once I figured it out, I used a direct ethernet connection and both boxes quickly updated the firmware. I reset my wireless to a channel different from my neighbors and all is well now.

Thanks for the suggestions-- the lesson to me was that the wireless spectrum is finite, and to check periodically to see if it has become congested on the channel that I use.