PDA

View Full Version : Why is MusicIP So Terrible compared to Genius?

Prindle19
2011-01-17, 21:42
I don't get it.

I analyze my entire library in iTunes, pick a song, click Genius, get a wonderful playlist.

I split the atom, get MusicIP and Squeezebox Server working together, pick a nice calm Jimmy Buffett song, "When the coast is clear" and the MusicIP generated next song?

"Never be rude to an Arab" by Monty Python.

Song 3, Tchaikovsky - "Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy"......

I can do more 1:1 comparisons if needed, but seriously, what is going on here?

Mnyb
2011-01-17, 22:43
I've never figured how to get mip going myselfs, but it sounds like mip have not analyzed the files as it should :)
The interesting song selection tells me that.

You probably can't tell it to via sbs there is some mip interface... (here ends my knowledge)

aubuti
2011-01-17, 22:43
I suggest that you experiment with the MusicIP settings for Mix Style and Mix Variety. At present it looks like you're getting all variety and no style ;o)

You may also want to experiment with Mix Genre, although that will depend on how your genres are tagged and personal preference.

Prindle19
2011-01-18, 05:57
Ok, will try that.

Also, is there supposed to be a way to generate a different playlist each time?

Right now it seems that a seed song pretty much will generate the same playlist.

The files are definitely all analyzed.

Prindle19
2011-01-18, 07:05
Ok, thanks guys, much better.

I set:

Mix Style: 58 (was default set to 0)
Mix Variety: 2 (was default set to 0)

Mix Genre: Yes - do wish there was some variance here as i have genres like "Alternative Rock" and "Alternative Pop" and would want some cross pollination if songs were similar across genres. I find leaving this set to no though brings in a bit too much variety.

Reject Size: 4 - so after 4 tracks it can play the same artist as the seed, etc.

Prindle19
2011-01-18, 07:06
I guess it is the trade of an open and configurable system vs the black box of Apple's genius - but on something like this, when you're used to the black box - you miss the black box

bobertuk
2011-01-18, 09:04
Why not give the Spicefly SugarCube plugin a try?

http://www.spicefly.com/spicefly-sugarcube/59-sugarcube-development-and-roadmap-.html

It gives much better control of the output from MIP.

Bob

Prindle19
2011-01-18, 10:26
Why not give the Spicefly SugarCube plugin a try?

http://www.spicefly.com/spicefly-sugarcube/59-sugarcube-development-and-roadmap-.html

It gives much better control of the output from MIP.

Bob

Yeah i used SpiceFly's advice to actually get MIP working, and I like the TrackStat integration.

I guess I just want something that will be supported on devices / remotes?

Does not seem to be a universal way to generate genius like playlists from the various PC, web, android, hardware control systems

bobertuk
2011-01-18, 10:38
SugarCube becomes part of the WebUI and is set by individual player. So it's usable with/on all squeezebox hardware, PC's & Servers (WebUI), the controller, iPad - iPhone - iPod Touch (with iPeng app). Don't know about Android though.

What other devices do you mean?

Bob

maggior
2011-01-18, 10:50
Setting up a filter may help you too. I did this after I got tired of "kiddie" and "holiday" music would show up in my mixes. You can do this through the MusicIP GUI only.

didjean
2011-01-18, 13:51
I've also set up MusicIP, SpiceFly plugin works great but it doesn't generate a playlist. I like to be able to see the next 10 songs that is going to be played.

So I am using the standard plugin, it generates a playlist but it's buggy: I can't edit the generated playlist, and as soon as I am playing the playlist I can't get the overview anymore of my playlist. There is also an error message that appears on my players as soon as it plays the next track.

bobertuk
2011-01-18, 14:40
If you untick 'Dynamic Queuing' in 'Settings - Player - Spicefly SugarCube', the playlist will show a number of tracks. May be what you want.

Bob

didjean
2011-01-18, 15:21
Thx for your mail. I've just reinstalled the plugin and I don't have this option under Spicefly SugarCube!!! Strange...

If you untick 'Dynamic Queuing' in 'Settings - Player - Spicefly SugarCube', the playlist will show a number of tracks. May be what you want.

Bob

bobertuk
2011-01-18, 15:50
There are two different places SugarCube is configured.

In 'Settings->Advanced' or 'Settings->Plugins->Spicefly Sugarcube' there is a global settings page which will apply to all players.

In 'Settings->Player' there is a drop down menu (upper left) from which you select your player. Then to the immediate right of that menu there is another drop down menu which defaults to 'Basic Settings'. From that menu select 'Spicefly SugarCube' and you will find settings that apply to the specifically chosen player. This is where you should find and uncheck 'Dynamic Queuing'.

Sorry if I misunderstood your meaning and you already know where these settings are. If 'Dynamic Queuing' isn't visible I have no idea what's happening - it may be worth your while mailing cparker (author of SugarCube) on this site for help.

Bob

fillmore
2011-01-18, 22:51
the issue i have is it cant recognize music ripped to image with a cue file, which i have a lot of, so i would get 50 minute tracks of an entire album in the mix.

didjean
2011-01-19, 10:50
There are two different places SugarCube is configured.

In 'Settings->Advanced' or 'Settings->Plugins->Spicefly Sugarcube' there is a global settings page which will apply to all players.

In 'Settings->Player' there is a drop down menu (upper left) from which you select your player. Then to the immediate right of that menu there is another drop down menu which defaults to 'Basic Settings'. From that menu select 'Spicefly SugarCube' and you will find settings that apply to the specifically chosen player. This is where you should find and uncheck 'Dynamic Queuing'.

Sorry if I misunderstood your meaning and you already know where these settings are. If 'Dynamic Queuing' isn't visible I have no idea what's happening - it may be worth your while mailing cparker (author of SugarCube) on this site for help.

Bob

Nope, I confirm I don't have that option !!! VERY strange ! Are you running the latest plugin version & SBS ? Are you using the default web interface ?

gorman
2011-01-20, 09:29
Is the MusicIP you are referring to the one I find as MusicBrainz?

aubuti
2011-01-20, 09:56
MusicIP and MusicBrainz are completely different things. MusicIP is now owned by AmpliFIND Music Services. See http://www.amplifindmusicservices.com/ (look in the downloads section for MusicIP).