PDA

View Full Version : Locking the favourites

Rydde
2011-01-17, 09:51
Hello all.

Question, if you want to lock the favourites so you are not able to delete them from the radios menu, how do you do that? Is it possible? My son loves the radio but constantly deletes the favorites as he is not aware what he is doing...

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards

Per

aubuti
2011-01-17, 10:18
Favorites on mysqueezebox.com or on your local Squeezebox Server? I don't think there is any way to lock down the favorites on mysb.com. On your local SBS I suppose you could make the favorites.opml file read-only, although that would mean that you couldn't add favorites either.

Alternatively for local SBS you could just make a backup of favorites.opml, and then if your son messes up the operative one, replace it with the backup. You could do something slightly similar with mysb.com, except you would have to cut and paste each favorite individually from the favorites.opml file into the list on the mysb web site.

Rydde
2011-01-17, 10:26
Thanks for your reply.It's my favourites om mysqueezebox.com. I have them in a file and paste them when they are gone, but I'm getting tired of doing that several times every day.....

Regards

Per

aubuti
2011-01-17, 10:29
So you're already doing the best thing I could think of. Then it sounds like your choices are (a) train your son not to delete favorites, (b) limit your son's access to the favorites/remote/pc, or (c) hope someone else has a better solution. Good luck!

toby10
2011-01-17, 11:43
Buy him his own Radio with his own MySB account and Favorites. :)

Rydde
2011-01-17, 12:02
yepp, a good idea, but guess who would have to add the favourites when they are gone....Really, is there no option somehow to lock them, I can't be the first one with this issue?

garym
2011-01-17, 12:25
yepp, a good idea, but guess who would have to add the favourites when they are gone....Really, is there no option somehow to lock them, I can't be the first one with this issue?

It takes a couple of steps to remove a favorite. I'm assuming you're talking about a very young child (not a teenager that can read the menu screen when punching buttons). Would the "kidsplay" plugin help. I suppose not if only using mysb.com. See:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=83308&highlight=kids

Rydde
2011-01-17, 12:59
My son is mentally handicapped, thats the reason for this. He love his Boom, so of cource am I helping him with adding the favourites again and again. The ideal thing would of cource be a box were you just tick if you want to lock them or not, but I guess I'm dreaming now....

garym
2011-01-17, 13:05
My son is mentally handicapped, thats the reason for this. He love his Boom, so of cource am I helping him with adding the favourites again and again. The ideal thing would of cource be a box were you just tick if you want to lock them or not, but I guess I'm dreaming now....

Of course that would be the best answer (lock or not), but as this is not something likely to rise to the top of the developer's work list, I'm still thinking something like the kidsplay plug in would work nicely to reduce the options on the player. But having to run SbS on your own server adds to what you need to do. You could play with it with a version of SbS running on your own machine just to see if that does what you need. If so, you could use some low power always on server (squeezeplug, old computer running vortexbox stuck in the basement, etc.). Then you'd have the control you want and could also have your own music as favorites he could choose as well. Haven't used kidsplay so just guessing here, but there are threads on this, just search the forum.

garym
2011-01-17, 13:11
here's another thought. In another thread I just discovered that I could make a favorites.opml file, post it on a live web site (which I can do with the small webspace I get free from cox cable) and then for my mysb.com favorites, I simply add a favorite with a URL pointing toward the linked favorites.opml. This underlying favorites file can't be changed from the boom itself! Now, he might remove the favorite link that connects to the underlying file, but he won't change the file itself. So worst case, you enter ONE favorite (the opml URL) to fix things. This sounds more confusing than it is. Take a look at this thread (toward the very end) and let me know if you have questions about the process. I just did it today and it works brilliantly.

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=84798