PDA

View Full Version : Squeezebox Radio - low stock for a reason?

themightyw
2011-01-17, 09:21
Hi folks

Am looking to get a new Squeezebox Radio + Remote, but availability / stock seems to be very low, with many places showing none (e.g. John Lewis). Am perhaps being a bit paranoid here, but are there any plans for this to be replaced? Are stocks low because it's being phased out? Just don't want to buy one if it's about to be replaced by a new shiny!

Of course, it's quite possible that it's just very popular!

Thanks in advance.

TMW

andynormancx
2011-01-17, 09:28
John Lewis have been giving away the accessory pack, so not that surprising to hear they are low on stock ;)

erland
2011-01-17, 10:49
Just don't want to buy one if it's about to be replaced by a new shiny!

No one that knows the answer will answer here.

However, based on my own feelings, the Radio is the last Squeezebox I would expect to be replaced with something new.

Touch -> Could be replaced by a new product new with more CPU/memory for built-in server
Boom -> Could be replaced by a new product with color/touch screen and based on the new SqueezePlay firmware.
Duet -> Could be replaced by a new product based on the new SqueezePlay firmware, basically a Touch without a screen.

The only possible reason to replace the Radio would be if they plan to release a new Boom, but that would still feel strange because the Radio has a more attractive physical size than the Boom so I think there is room for both products.

themightyw
2011-01-17, 13:18
Fantastic, guys. Thanks for the responses. One ordered :)