PDA

View Full Version : Logitech Transporter issue

sebadoh
2011-01-13, 01:06
Hello

I own a Logitech Transporter. Works fine, but there's one thing I wonder about ...

When in standby, it creates a small sound that lasts for a brief second. Sometimes two in a row, before it goes 20-30 seconds till next time. I can hear this from 4-5 meters and it is quite annoying.

Hard to explain the sound, but it is no digital "piipsound". Clearly, a sound that should not be there ...

Anybody got any suggestions?

Phil Leigh
2011-01-13, 01:23
Hello

I own a Logitech Transporter. Works fine, but there's one thing I wonder about ...

When in standby, it creates a small sound that lasts for a brief second. Sometimes two in a row, before it goes 20-30 seconds till next time. I can hear this from 4-5 meters and it is quite annoying.

Hard to explain the sound, but it is no digital "piipsound". Clearly, a sound that should not be there ...

Anybody got any suggestions?

Sounds like the knob degaussing - normal!

paul44birch
2011-01-13, 05:05
Interesting as this happens with my transporter. Difficult to describe the sound but it is quite faint and can be heard when the unit is in standby. Everything works fine and it still sounds great so I have ignored it. What do you mean by "Sounds like the knob degaussing "

TheLastMan
2011-01-13, 05:41
Sounds like the knob degaussing - normal!

Interesting as this happens with my transporter. Difficult to describe the sound but it is quite faint and can be heard when the unit is in standby. Everything works fine and it still sounds great so I have ignored it. What do you mean by "Sounds like the knob degaussing "

Interesting. "Degaussing" is the procedure used to remove magnetism from an object. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Degaussing

Many CRT monitors used to "degauss" on switch-on. A sort of loud "thrum" noise and the screen image would wobble. You could initiate a degauss from the menu.

I didn't know the Transporter had an issue with magnetism on the control knob. It must be significant if it was thought to be worth introducing a degaussing coil.

bhaagensen
2011-01-13, 07:44
I didn't know the Transporter had an issue with magnetism on the control knob. It must be significant if it was thought to be worth introducing a degaussing coil.

I don't think the issue is more significant than in other such force-feedback systems? Its commonly used, at least.

bhaagensen
2011-01-13, 07:46
Btw. what version are you running? There where some improvements introduced at some point. But its a long time ago, so unless you are running a very old version, you probably have the fix. It can't be 100% eliminated.

sebadoh
2011-01-13, 11:57
Squeezebox server version 7.5.2

Transporter fastvare 81

I've had my LT for about a year. It is only in the last few weeks I have been aware of the problem.

Is there a later version of the fastvare available?

bhaagensen
2011-01-13, 12:28
No, you're running the latest release - including the improvements made a long time ago [in this area].

Are we positively sure this is the cause? Try putting your ear close to the TP itself, and listen. As you say, hard to describe - but it should be distinguishable "mechanical".

If you're never heard it before now, its because you haven't noticed. It will run the degaussing-procedure from time to time - e.g. always on startup (but also at other times, I believe. Normally, it shouldn't do it continuously.

carrera
2011-01-13, 12:30
Hi,

maybe you should try a reset. Mine had the same behaviour, but after the reset, the problem seems to be gone.

garym
2011-01-13, 16:45
Hi,

maybe you should try a reset. Mine had the same behaviour, but after the reset, the problem seems to be gone.

xlinx reset, not just a factory reset. forget the procedure, but search this forum and you'll see how (something like remove power, hold down "1" button on remote and at the same time reapply power to the transporter until the screen goes into reset mode.....

very simple.

starcat
2015-02-20, 02:49
Does the described above reset procedure work for stopping that degaussing sound? - "remove power, hold down "1" button on remote and at the same time reapply power to the transporter until the screen goes into reset mode".

I too have it constantly on my Transporter which is really annoying. Thanks for any feedback!