PDA

View Full Version : iPeng for iPad or SqueezePad?

kkitts
2011-01-10, 16:00
What's better - iPeng for iPad or SqueezePad?

Thanks!

pippin
2011-01-10, 16:04
Oh my. Hard question. I believe it depends on preferences.
There is already an older thread on this.
In the end you're going to buy both anyway :)

pippin
2011-01-10, 16:05
Here's that other thread:
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=84285
And this one (maybe more on topic)
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=83828

bluegaspode
2011-01-10, 17:22
In the end you're going to buy both anyway :)

And if you don't believe pippin, look into iPengs 'Customers also bought section'.
You cannot escape :D

kkitts
2011-01-10, 20:12
I went ahead and bought both...

The SqueezePad app has a couple of bugs...

My iPad was called Kevin's iPad. SqueezePad named my iPad Player as Kevinas iPad - with an um-lot over the a - very troubling on a number of levels... ;-)

I've tried renaming the Player to Kevs iPad to take out the '. But that changes it in some places - but not others - does not change it on the main screen.

Also, squeezepad will play internet radio stations for me - but it will not play anything from my local server. It gives me "Playback Error No Audio Data found". All of my music is recorded as 320Kbps mp3 files.

What's the easiest way to get help from the program author?

Thanks,

Kevin

kkitts
2011-01-10, 21:12
Ah... just needed to upgrade to the latest version of the SqueezeCenter software to fix the audio problems. Works great now - very impressive.

Alas... I am trapped as Kevinas without any possibility of change...

If anyone has any ideas on how to fix that it would be most apprec.

bluegaspode
2011-01-11, 01:31
You can get in contact with me via support(at)squeezepad.com
There is no way to change the name of the iPad player other than changing the name of your iPad directly in iTunes.
I'll look into your issue, but I'm not sure what is causing this. You are also the first to report problems with the name. For me the ' works in the name.

What language is your iPad, on what type of computer and OS have you installed your server and what is the language setting on your computer?

pippin
2011-01-11, 02:45
You should be able to change the name in iPeng and it would then change in SqueezePad, too, I believe.

bluegaspode
2011-01-11, 02:52
You should be able to change the name in iPeng and it would then change in SqueezePad, too, I believe.
Changing player names is possible in SqueezePad too, but would only be temporarily for the iPAD player. When a player registers with the server it has to provide its own name and thus the iPad name is used (again).

pippin
2011-01-11, 03:03
When a player registers with the server it has to provide its own name
No, it doesn't have to.

and thus the iPad name is used (again).
Ah... They are the same no for my player so I didn't notice, thought I had set it to that manually.
But originally it was named differently ("SqueezeCast" which is.. you name it). I thought SqueezePad also kept that name but I might be wrong.

bluegaspode
2011-01-11, 04:03
No, it doesn't have to.
There is no clear indication, whether there is a name set at all for the player, nor if it's the 'wrong' name like SqueezeCast or SqueezePlay.
So in the end this boils down to setting the name each time to not confuse users.

Happy implementing some more sophisticated algorithm.

kkitts
2011-01-11, 19:41
Sorry to have taken your time. Everything is working great now. Maybe my problem was caused by initially connecting to slim server software that was not at the required minimum version.

Love this app. Works great.

Thanks.

Kevin

bluegaspode
2011-01-11, 23:52
Sorry to have taken your time. Everything is working great now.

This is good news indeed!
Thanks for sharing your experience, makes me able to provide better support for the next user with a similar problem.

Have a lot of fun with SqueezePad and don't forget to tell all your friends :)