PDA

View Full Version : Placement of speakers or dock

sderuiter
2011-01-07, 06:45
Hi,

Happy user with a Boom in the Kitchen, receiver streaming to the living room and a Radio for the bedroom.

We are extending our house and I think we need another squeezebox, but I'm not so sure where to put the speakers and what speakers.

If I'm going to buy speakers, I've decided to buy AudioEngine A5 speakers for both receivers (buying an extra receiver).
However, the placement of these speakers is always BEHIND the listener. On the couch, the speakers would be behind and at the dinner table same thing.

Questions:
1. Does it make sense to buy A5s if I'm planning on putting them behind the listener?
2. Alternative view would be to buy 2 (expensive) iPhone docks, where the audio in is then fed from the receiver. Pro: much easier placement, con: worse sound?

Any hints appreciated!

linvale
2011-01-07, 08:15
I'm sure you need another squeezebox - we all do...

The audioengine A5s are great speakers and powered, so you don't need an amp, but you do need an electrical outlet and speaker wire. For serious listening the positioning is critical, for background music much less so (but other types of speaker may fit the need better - less directional).

It's hard from your post to understand how a dock will solve the problem - is it space or wiring that is your limitation? If you are remodelling and the walls will be opened up, it the perfect time to solve the problem - running in wall speaker wire is really easy and inexpensive..

If you want to serious sit down and enjoy a real music experience I can't imagine will be satisfied listening to performers from behind you(or the quality from most ipod docks - and if you are prepared to invest in the quality of a receiver and A5s I would encourage you to look at how to position them better. There are wireless add ons for the speakers that may solve a wiring issue too. It's a matter of what the issue is...

An alternative to the docks would be to get a couple of booms. They have a very good sound for the dollar and allow synching and all the other benefits of squeezeplayers (better than most docks I have heard).

Kyle
2011-01-08, 12:47
I'd look at some powered in-wall speakers ceiling-mounted if you have access to your ceiling through an attic.

sderuiter
2011-01-10, 06:12
Hi,

Both thanks for your reply. The reason that I opted to buy a dock, is that (IMO) it's much easier to place 1 dock than to place 2 speakers. My thinking was that for 2 speakers you'd want to be somewhat in the middle of the speakers to achieve optimal listening. Hence, using a dock I know I will not have perfect sound, but I will also not have the difficulty of choosing the perfect location for my 2 speakers...

Wrt ceiling speakers, are these powered as well? Currently I'm still thinking of buying a Touch for the kitchen area, that feeds either A5s or ceiling speakers (if they're powered).

Thanks.

Kyle
2011-01-10, 07:32
A number of companies make powered in-wall speakers.

aubuti
2011-01-10, 09:39
If you choose the powered in-ceiling route be sure that the person running the wiring the knows what he/she is doing. The inputs for self-powered speakers are line-level, not speaker-level, and are therefore susceptible to picking up interference from AC power lines if they are too close and/or too parallel to the AC lines. As the self-powered speakers will also need an AC source the installer needs to pay attention to local building codes about in-wall/ceiling electrical supplies.

Personally I found it much easier to use passive in-ceiling speakers powered by an amp neatly tucked away in the pantry (see http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?p=285125#post285125). I added wall-mounted volume controls so you can adjust the volume even if you can't find the remote. But every home is different, as are everyone's needs, so certainly do what works best for you.

linvale
2011-01-10, 12:50
If you choose the powered in-ceiling route be sure that the person running the wiring the knows what he/she is doing. The inputs for self-powered speakers are line-level, not speaker-level, and are therefore susceptible to picking up interference from AC power lines if they are too close and/or too parallel to the AC lines. As the self-powered speakers will also need an AC source the installer needs to pay attention to local building codes about in-wall/ceiling electrical supplies.

Personally I found it much easier to use passive in-ceiling speakers powered by an amp neatly tucked away in the pantry (see http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?p=285125#post285125). I added wall-mounted volume controls so you can adjust the volume even if you can't find the remote. But every home is different, as are everyone's needs, so certainly do what works best for you.

Agree very much that this would be the best audio solution and simple and safe. It all depends on specifics of the room and what work you are having done.