PDA

View Full Version : Logitech Trade-In Program

musictappy
2011-01-06, 15:12
Have any of you seen the Logitech Trade-In Program?

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/349/7077

Assuming that I am understanding this right, I can send them an old Logitech computer mouse and receive a 20% discount that I can use to purchase a Transporter. By my calculation that would bring the price of a Transporter down to $1,199.

Am I understanding this correctly, or am I missing something?

Pat

unclemat
2011-01-06, 18:30
Yeah, but why would you pay even $1200 for handicapped hacked version of Transporter?

JJZolx
2011-01-06, 18:41
Yeah, but why would you pay even $1200 for handicapped hacked version of Transporter?

I've had a Transporter for several years and the only time I've ever used the knob was just to try it out. The whole force-feedback idea was novel, but it doesn't feel right. It's easier just using the remote.

DaveWr
2011-01-07, 00:16
I'd check about longevity of support, the displays were declared EOL, and there was to be no fixes outside warranty period. $1200 is a lot for a limited life product.

Mnyb
2011-01-07, 00:35
I'd check about longevity of support, the displays were declared EOL, and there was to be no fixes outside warranty period. $1200 is a lot for a limited life product.

yea but noritake build these on order so if the only company thats still buys a certian size stops ordering them , they are of-course EOL ;)

TP is more expensive it can take the cost of more expensive vfd in smaller batches.

But it would be interesting to get a statement on logitechs spare part policy.

You sort of expects high quality electronics to work >10 years (20 years is no problem for quality stuff).

The company I work for guarantee spares for 10 years after the last unit has be manufactured, but if the spares are in popular demand (viable as a product on their own) we still have them if possible, we even design never revision of some things for spare part use only, this is the policy for the products i work with.
Some of our stuff having even longer lifecycles thus spares are kept for an ever longer time.

bluegaspode
2011-01-07, 01:17
So why not write a mail to Logitech Sales or Support to get the answers?

Mnyb
2011-01-07, 01:48
So why not write a mail to Logitech Sales or Support to get the answers?

Have you ever figured a straight forward bi directional mail and not some web page driven support mail that requires pin and serial numbers etc.

I don't have a TP SE so i cant flip it upside down and get the numbers to fill in the web-form ?

Mnyb
2011-01-07, 01:56
I asked them anyway

"
Hi there I'm interested in the Squeezebox Transporter -SE .

I have some Q .

What is your spare part and repair policy for this machine after the warranty period ?
it is a 1500$ product .

For example the VFD displays are the same as the SB Classic and these displays are EOL from the manufacturer ?

What happens if the displys fails after lets say 5 years ? can i get it repaired then ?

best regards .

XXXXX XXXXX

"
ref is #110107-005021

jimwillsher
2011-01-07, 04:23
As usual, it's great if you live in the US. There is a whole world out there you know! What about us UK users?

Jim

sebp
2011-01-07, 07:04
As usual, it's great if you live in the US. There is a whole world out there you know! What about us UK users?
The support page dedicated to the Transporter (http://www.logitech.com/en-gb/439/3163?selectedcrid=439&selectedcid=3163&WT.z_sp=Product&osid=&bit=) on Logitech's UK (and other EU countries) web site(s) might give you a definitive answer:

Warranty Information
3-year limited hardware warranty

jimwillsher
2011-01-07, 07:11
Well spotted :-)

musictappy
2011-01-07, 11:53
Thanks for all of the replies. I too have thought about the Transporter being end of line, and what happens if it fails. The knob is useless to me as I use the Controller for all of my Squeezeboxes. This is a good price for this unit if support will be there.

I guess I have some thinking to do!

Pat

Richie
2011-01-07, 13:16

If you're referring to the trade-in programme, it's also running in the UK:

http://www.logitech.com/en-gb/349/7016

Richard

erland
2011-01-07, 18:46
You sort of expects high quality electronics to work >10 years (20 years is no problem for quality stuff).

Really ?

How many 20 years old electronic devices do you own ?
How many are over 10 years ?
Would you repair these if they break or would you just take the opportunity to get a new device which is the current state of the art on the market ?

I suspect audiophiles which buy a Transporter probably always want to have the best the market can offer. I bet there are going to be a lot better stuff than the Transporter handling digital music around year 2020.

I can't say that I own any really high quality electronics, my upper purchase limit is currently around $10k-$15k per device, but still, nothing in my music equipment is 10 years old. The amplifier and speakers are oldest but both are on the "to be replaced soon" list and none of them are 10 years old. In my world, with a bit lower expectations, I expect any high quality electronics to survive at least 5 years.

How many VFD display actually breaks ? Isn't this a pretty unusual issue ?

Mnyb
2011-01-07, 22:01
Really ?

Would you repair these if they break or would you just take the opportunity to get a new device which is the current state of the art on the market ?

I suspect audiophiles which buy a Transporter probably always want to have the best the market can offer. I bet there are going to be a lot better stuff than the Transporter handling digital music around year 2020.

I can't say that I own any really high quality electronics, my upper purchase limit is currently around $10k-$15k per device, but still, nothing in my music equipment is 10 years old. The amplifier and speakers are oldest but both are on the "to be replaced soon" list and none of them are 10 years old. In my world, with a bit lower expectations, I expect any high quality electronics to survive at least 5 years.

I expect 10 year of service life from my hifi gear it usually works well after that. Some service is to be expected.

Some things have a short life I'm at LCD projektor nr 2 now .

My main loudspeakers are 18 years old, Rear >10 ? center 6 year one of my power amps is >10 Classe My SiruiS power amp is 11 My Meridian Gear is 7 years (processor had a failure but cost 3% of new price to repair ) .

I have thought off replacing my main speakers but never found something thats sound as good for non silly money I bougth them used.

My LP player is in the closet that one is 20 years it run if not the drive belt has dried out on me . but it is a curiosity i don't have any LP's any more

My old power amps 17 years is owned by a friend, the amp I owned before that a Luxman I bougth used is still running 25y old owned by another friend . it also broke Capacitors had to be replaced , it' so old that it was designed for 220V not 230V that is EU standard today
Oh I forgot my old LP player 25yo is still in use with another friend.

But old gramophones needs new pickups and drive belts regularly.

You should by stuff from Bryston :) http://bryston.com/index.html 20 years warranty , but they are extreme. If get another power amp I'll consider bryston.

Not all high end hifi is of good quality ,some of that stuff has serious quality problems .
Not all stuff is serviceable either.

Vintage electronics can be fun ,much stuff can be serviced and have a long life . God stuff can be repaired .

The industrial electronics I work with is expected to run 20 years, some things live longer than that, but is obselete for other reasons by then .

But on the other hand I have used up 5 laptops during my professional career ? the computer stuff gets old fast.

But don't get into that marketing hype regarding mature technology.
A god 10year old power amp is still god compared to new stuff.
The last revolutionary thing that happend in audio was digital audio the other suffs improves incrementally by small steps.

sgmlaw
2011-01-08, 08:59
Really ?

It depends on the gear. Digital electronics have a much faster design turnover with discernible real-world performance differences. But more traditional devices (and circuits) are very different.

I listen everyday through vintage era tube gear, running old production tubes, most of which is now about 50 years old.

If they need service, I repair them without reservation. They typically don't. I have no intention of replacing them with modern replacements, as frankly, they still sound better than new gear, and are far better built. We have other gear that is well over 20 years old that still works superbly. I am not going to dump a heavy Thorens or heritage-era Klipsch if they brake down - I will fix them.

But getting to the SB3, I would probably replace mine with Touches if any of them malfunctioned. I use ours as simple wired head ends, feeding higher quality outboard DACs. I do like the relative simplicity of the SB3, and would miss that.

This is a modern product line that is generally still extent, so it's still apples to apples. If the line were completely discontinued, I might feel differently.

Mnyb
2011-01-08, 09:45
The SB3 and Touch is in that price range when recycling them makes more sense than repair in some cases.

That said my SB3 is 5year in February never had any trouble with that one .
Seems to be quality stuff :)
I may even get my 10 years of service life from such low cost product to.

I don't think that VFD is that susceptible to breakdown .

But compared to what ? and reading this forum SB3 fail comes in as:

Broken remote , WIFI-card, PSU or display and more seldom, the mainboard itself except for damaged caused by lightning or a failed psu or other stuff .

It does not have many parts no moving parts not much can go wrong .

So I understands that people wonders if they can fit a new display as it one of few lose components .

Personally I think the SB3 is a design classic and i do want to keep mine alive as long as possible, and the geniality off the slim client powerful server design, makes it keep up with changes it is not obsolete yet :)
How many 5 year old players runs spotify ? (with the help of a server plugin)

Even if one keeps buying quality stuff you eventually end up with lemon from someone, thats life.

One should be carefull with some garage brand hand made high end , it takes experience to get quality and longevity out off stuff. They may trying to get the best possible sound but neglects other factors.

Pascal Hibon
2011-01-08, 11:12
The Transporter is a very good player but I believe it is a bit overpriced. Especially for the age of technology you’re buying. I would get the Touch instead. If you’re not happy with the sound it produces you still can get a good DAC and have spent less money than you would on the Transporter alone.
A second reason why I wouldn’t go the Transporter route is the presumable short live span the device will have. I’m sceptic about how long Logitech will be able to service it.

plympton
2011-01-10, 15:46
I don't think that VFD is that susceptible to breakdown .

The VFD on my white SB3 has started to... fade? in some parts of it - almost like the reverse of plasma burn-in - parts of the display are dimmer than others. Since I run it on all the time, I expect that. Funny that my other SB3 and SB2 don't have that, nor does my boom.

-Dan

gorman
2011-01-13, 13:25
The VFD on my white SB3 has started to... fade? in some parts of it - almost like the reverse of plasma burn-in - parts of the display are dimmer than others. Since I run it on all the time, I expect that. Funny that my other SB3 and SB2 don't have that, nor does my boom.

-DanIt's actually the same exact process as in old plasmas: uneven aging of pixels. Modern plasmas suffer from this to a much lesser extent. My Kuro seems to be pretty much immune (obviously... I don't do stupid stuff like forgetting it on for a day on the same screen).

gorman
2011-01-13, 13:27
If you're referring to the trade-in programme, it's also running in the UK:

http://www.logitech.com/en-gb/349/7016

RichardThanks Logitech for excluding Italy. Bigger population than Spain in case you forget...

joeriz
2011-01-13, 19:26

-Dan

I'm starting to have this issue on my 2 SB3's.

And I did recently email Logitech directly about ongoing support for the Transporter. I was told that they could 'help to troubleshoot' but that no repair service was offered (even for those willing to pay for it out of warranty). For units still under warranty they would simply replace the whole unit.

mps
2011-01-17, 08:01
Really ?

A lot. I'm not trying to be snarky, but this is a good opportunity for me to pontificate on a pet peeve of mine. Don't think being an audiophile is a synonym for constant upgrading/fad following.

When I settled in Chicago twenty years ago, I spent a year listening in every high-end stereo store I could find to understand what kind of sound I enjoy. I then bought a very high-end system that I knew would last forever and have received great pleasure from it almost every day.

My speakers are Quad ESL-57s (42 years after their release, Hi Fi News declared them the greatest audio product of the century. Every other site, even hard-nosed anti-audiophile sites like The Audio Critic, likes them too).

My amplifier is a 25 year old Naim 250. (The founder of NAIM had ESL-57s, and developed the amp to drive them well). I got my preamp, a Naim 82 in 1992 (I know, only 18 years old). Naim charges a *lot* for their electronics, but they expect you to keep them forever, and never stop supporting old kit. I've had the amp tuned up at least once (the electrolytic caps can leak after ~10 years). From reviews I've read, they both measure well to the point of audio perception. While I am probably paying more than I need for "perfect" amplification, the fact that I can buy them and never worry about my amplification again is nice peace of mind and makes the investment/yr reasonable.

I also have a Squeezebox and an external DAC, which are newer, but there are compelling reasons for that, as digital music has greatly advanced over the last 20 years, while speakers/amps were mature a long time ago. I may also put in some room treatments, as the stereo is in a room with pretty bad acoustics (very reflective), but when I find equipment that solves a problem, why would I ever change it unless there is a genuine advance that renders the old technology obsolete?

To me, the right way to be an audiophile is to find equipment you like, and then enjoy your stereo. To me at least, my stereo sounds more like having a live band in my living room than a stereo, and I've enjoyed it that way for decades. Whenever possible, I buy something that I expect will last forever (the Squeezebox is the only exception because the technology is still immature. Even then, I'm in no hurry to switch to the Touch)

My understanding is that Naim will repair/replace any kit they have ever made. As for the Quads, there are a community of people who specialize in their repair, and I picked up some spare treble panels on EBay (the most common failure), just in case I blow a panel some time in the future, now that they are not made.

I tend to agree with you there, so I'm not paying a King's ransom on a music transport right now. I'm also not sure that high-end equipment before the DAC affects the sound.

I can't say that I own any really high quality electronics, my upper purchase limit is currently around $10k-$15k per device, but still, nothing in my music equipment is 10 years old.

It seems like $15000 should buy you an awfully high quality amplifier. I thought my kit was expensive, but... Are you sure you put the decimal point correctly? If you did, you definitely qualify as an audiophile :)

The amplifier and speakers are oldest but both are on the "to be replaced soon" list and none of them are 10 years old. In my world, with a bit lower expectations, I expect any high quality electronics to survive at least 5 years.

What benefit do you get to regularly replacing your amplifiers and speakers? Would you have been better off if you just got a somewhat better one to begin with, and kept it much longer? A high-quality amplifier properly cared for should be perfect within the limits of hearing for a long time.

Sorry for such a long post, and I'm actually not trying to be critical, as I think you are an awesome poster and contributor. I am actually responding more to audiophiles who spend a lot more money over the long run on the "constantly upgrading to the latest" than they would spend by settling on a much better system out of the box. I think it is perfectly reasonable to expect a multi-thousand dollar component to be built to last.