PDA

View Full Version : FW update SB3, broken remote

theseal
2011-01-04, 05:08
Hello all!

One of my sons have been overenthusiastic about music and resulting in a broken remote control for my SB3.

Is there any ways of upgrading FW without the remote?

best regards

Mnyb
2011-01-04, 05:31
Is any buttons working at all ? the arrows or something ?

Otherwise before you brake your remote ;) you can go into the SB3 fw settings to set it to uppgrade automatically, then you wont need the brigthness button.
And in the later fw it is from now on always automatic.

otherwise I'm sorry :-/

Some fellas here seems to have a lot of remotes .

Maybe some one has one for sale to theseal ?

theseal
2011-01-04, 07:36
shooooo, snap.... the remote is seriously dead and I did not do anything of the above before it died on me.

Is it possible to di the same from Ipeng or www or commandeline?

Mnyb
2011-01-04, 07:40
Not that I know off ?

To other reading this set your SB3/2 to automatic fw uppgrade.

The remote can be replaced by the Touch's remote but it does not have the brightness button , so it wont do for fw upgrade :-/

theseal
2011-01-04, 07:51
ok, thanks.

I'll have to lend a remote from one of my friends.

aubuti
2011-01-04, 07:52
shooooo, snap.... the remote is seriously dead and I did not do anything of the above before it died on me.

Is it possible to di the same from Ipeng or www or commandeline?
No, because that menu you get when you hold the left arrow button for 5 seconds is the SB3's _firmware_ menu. That is not accessible to tools that rely on the server such as iPeng, web ui, or cli.

Mnyb is right about most things, but I think he's wrong about the usefulness of the Touch remote (or for that matter, the Boom/Radio remote) in this case. While it's true those remotes don't have a brightness button, you should still be able to get to your SB3's firmware menu by using the left arrow button on either of those remotes. Then set your SB3 to automatically update the firmware and you should be good to go. I'm not home to test/confirm this right now, but I think it's correct.

You may want to see about getting a Touch remote as a replacement. They are available in many countries -- but not all -- from the Logitech web site for about US$20 + shipping and handling.

Mnyb
2011-01-04, 14:24
No, because that menu you get when you hold the left arrow button for 5 seconds is the SB3's _firmware_ menu. That is not accessible to tools that rely on the server such as iPeng, web ui, or cli.

Mnyb is right about most things, but I think he's wrong about the usefulness of the Touch remote (or for that matter, the Boom/Radio remote) in this case. While it's true those remotes don't have a brightness button, you should still be able to get to your SB3's firmware menu by using the left arrow button on either of those remotes. Then set your SB3 to automatically update the firmware and you should be good to go. I'm not home to test/confirm this right now, but I think it's correct.

You may want to see about getting a Touch remote as a replacement. They are available in many countries -- but not all -- from the Logitech web site for about US$20 + shipping and handling.

Can you get out of the "press brigthness" menu when you got there OK then you can fiddle with the setup :) and have another go .

But this depends on how old the original fw is, some older SB3 or SB2 firmware does not have auto-update as an option , I can not for my life remeber when this was added must have been around when receiver was introduced ?

Oops version 7.0 somewhere :-) I migth stopp telling people to beware of this it was 2008 duh ? what Luddite runs 6.5 ?
Can someone point me to the change logs.

tcutting
2011-01-04, 14:42
How did the remote die? Common failure mode for these remotes is the connection between the IR transmitter diode and the circuit board. If that's the case with yours, and you have some soldering skills, you may be able to reflow the solder at this connection.

Espen
2011-01-05, 00:50
I have had two other remotes dying over the years and both times it have been the IR-led soldering that failed.

It might be that a remote like logitech 555 can be used instead. I had one a few years back and if I recall correctly one downloaded specs for other remotes from a logitech database. It could be that the SB3 is one of those supported. The database was large.

Mnyb
2011-01-05, 01:21
SB3 also takes JVC dvd remotes, this setting is accesible from the local SBS player setting.

Fahzz
2011-09-20, 15:50
My SB3 remote has been a little unreliable lately. I can use the Duet remote to run the SB3, but I worry about future firmware updates.

Can I set ONLY the SB3 to automatically update firmware somehow? I don't want the server to automatically update if that's possible.

Or is there a way I can update the SB3 when necessary using the Duet remote?

Thanks.

Mnyb
2011-09-21, 01:26
My SB3 remote has been a little unreliable lately. I can use the Duet remote to run the SB3, but I worry about future firmware updates.

Can I set ONLY the SB3 to automatically update firmware somehow? I don't want the server to automatically update if that's possible.

Or is there a way I can update the SB3 when necessary using the Duet remote?

Thanks.

It's in it's fw settings or new enough it already does .

But the server does not dl new player fw if it's set to not update, you normally want to have server and player in sync .

but when you chose to upgrade the server and have it to fetch fw for your SB3 then the BS3 will auto upgrade, if set to do so or if has newer fw, without any need to press brightness button.

Fahzz
2011-09-21, 12:34
Ok - so I can keep auto update turned off in the server, until I'm sure I want a particular update. Then I just turn auto update back on, and it will update all my devices including the SB3 firmware automatically, and once that's all completed, I turn auto update off again?
Is this correct? Thanks.

toby10
2011-09-21, 13:14
It will update your server, the players will get their update the next time they connect to that server.