PDA

View Full Version : Transporter won't connect

doctor_big
2011-01-03, 11:09
Hey there,

I'm trying to diagnose an issue with a Slim Devices Transporter. Every once in a while this unit loses connection with the server. When this happens, the unit goes dark and won't fire up with the power button (at least, I think it's loss of connection that starts this trouble, but I can't be sure).

When I unplug it and plug it back in, it goes through the welcome screen and then almost immediately displays a message that it's obtaining an IP address. This message stays up for about 5 seconds and then the unit goes dark again. I'm never asked to choose the country or network.

It takes much fussing and fidgeting, both with rebooting the server and the wireless router, and then rebooting the Transporter. After a number of attempts it'll fire up act like it's lost its memory. I can then re-enter my wireless key and it'll work.

The wireless signal is marginal as the Transporter is a fair distance from the router. Could this be the issue? Once it's connected it's generally good for at least a few days, up to a week.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Jason

garym
2011-01-03, 11:41
I'm almost positive the behavior you describe is from having a very weak WIFI connection. Any possibility of using one of the internet over powerline adaptors to create a wired connection back to your router.

Also, easy enough to test: Move the transporter close enough to router to wire with ethernet and then put it through its paces (use headphone jack to listen). Or even move close enough to get a lot better wifi. Keep in mind that a weak WIFI may work OK for a laptop, surfing the web, etc. but streaming audio really requires robust WIFI. Also use netstumbler or something to check out other wifi networks nearby and make sure you are using a different channel. Sometimes just moving your wifi router a few inches can make a big difference. You do realize that within the transporter, when it is connected, it can tell you the wifi strength.... less than 60-65% is a headache in my experience.

doctor_big
2011-01-04, 04:28
That's how I'm leaning. The only thing that worries me is that it won't fire up unless I remove and re-insert the power cord. Is that normal?

Thanks
Jason

garym
2011-01-04, 05:34
That's how I'm leaning. The only thing that worries me is that it won't fire up unless I remove and re-insert the power cord. Is that normal?

Thanks
Jason

That may be just because it "reboots" when you remove power, so it forces it to try to find an IP address, etc. I think this is normal based on your symptoms that are pointing toward low wifi strength.

dennis55
2011-01-04, 19:05
Only thing that upsets my Transporter's Wifi is the microwave oven..........:)

doctor_big
2011-02-04, 13:41
Looks like it was the weak wireless. We switched to powerline network devices and it's flawless now.

Thanks very much for the assistance,
Jason

garym
2011-02-04, 13:47
Looks like it was the weak wireless. We switched to powerline network devices and it's flawless now.

Thanks very much for the assistance,
Jason

Excellent!