PDA

View Full Version : best remote?

silvermilnec
2010-12-28, 17:19
I've got a touch and a v3 classic, i use ipeng on my iphone but was wondering if any other remotes give better controll?

Thanks.

bluegaspode
2010-12-28, 17:30
Define 'better'.
Is there anything you don't like with ipeng that could be done better?

For instance a real controller could be considered better, because it has real keys, which make it easier to find the skip key or volume controls in the dark.
Not everyone might find this important though ;)

silvermilnec
2010-12-28, 18:01
Define 'better'.
Is there anything you don't like with ipeng that could be done better?

For instance a real controller could be considered better, because it has real keys, which make it easier to find the skip key or volume controls in the dark.
Not everyone might find this important though ;)

Good point! I like the ipeng but it's a bit slow sometimes and i don't like how when your building a playlist and you have to hold the button for play next or add to end, sometimes i'm not sure if it's worked, sorry i'm not the best at explaining things in type! In the main ipeng just seems a bit slow, My whole system is wireles, i've been advised to wire the touch to my router, not sure if this would make the ipeng quicker.
thanks for the help.

pippin
2010-12-28, 18:16
Unlikely another controller would be significantly faster if you use the Touch as a server (it has pretty optimized queries, similar to the ones in 7.6 so that iPeng doesn't have a performance penalty over the controller as with the 7.5 versions on a PC or NAS).
The one thing I don't understand is the thing about add and play next and hold. What exactly are you doing? In iPeng you don't have to "hold" a track to do that if you use the play modes (see Help->Quick Tutorials->Albums and Playlists in iPeng). That's considerably faster than e.g. The controller where you _do_ have to go through the context menu for add and play next.

I don't believe wiring the touch will have an effect, how big is your library.

silvermilnec
2010-12-29, 04:51
Unlikely another controller would be significantly faster if you use the Touch as a server (it has pretty optimized queries, similar to the ones in 7.6 so that iPeng doesn't have a performance penalty over the controller as with the 7.5 versions on a PC or NAS).
The one thing I don't understand is the thing about add and play next and hold. What exactly are you doing? In iPeng you don't have to "hold" a track to do that if you use the play modes (see Help->Quick Tutorials->Albums and Playlists in iPeng). That's considerably faster than e.g. The controller where you _do_ have to go through the context menu for add and play next.

I don't believe wiring the touch will have an effect, how big is your library.

Pippin thanks for the reply, i have it in my head that when i go to an album it gives me a menu of play, add to end, play next. I seem to think i have to hold on either of these for it to work, not just press, maybe i'm doing something wrong, i'll have a play tonight! Another thing and i'm sure it can, once ive built a playlist how can i shuffle?
thanks for the help.

kidstypike
2010-12-29, 05:11
once ive built a playlist how can i shuffle?
thanks for the help.

Tap the album artwork, the progress bar, repeat and shuffle controls should appear.

pippin
2010-12-29, 05:29
Tap the album artwork, the progress bar, repeat and shuffle controls should appear.

Indeed. The album art on the NowPlaying screen, that is

You should not get a menu when you go to an album, you should get the list of tracks, at least if you just tap the album instead of "hold"ing it.

bernt
2010-12-29, 05:56
For me I get best control from

1. SBS WebGUI (I love it)
2. iPeng
3. Harmony remote

but I mostly use (@home)

1. Harmony Remote
2. iPeng
3. SBS WebGUI

@work
1. Moose
2.SBS WebGUI

silvermilnec
2010-12-29, 06:29
For me I get best control from

1. SBS WebGUI (I love it)
2. iPeng
3. Harmony remote

but I mostly use (@home)

1. Harmony Remote
2. iPeng
3. SBS WebGUI

@work
1. Moose
2.SBS WebGUI

Which Harmony remote do you use? thanks for the help.

silvermilnec
2010-12-29, 06:31
Indeed. The album art on the NowPlaying screen, that is

You should not get a menu when you go to an album, you should get the list of tracks, at least if you just tap the album instead of "hold"ing it.

from here if you want to add the whole album, what's the best way?

Sorry if i'm asking basic questions!

bernt
2010-12-29, 06:33
Which Harmony remote do you use? thanks for the help.

555 and 1000.

pippin
2010-12-29, 07:00
from here if you want to add the whole album, what's the best way?

Sorry if i'm asking basic questions!

Add or play?
Add would be: Select "Add" Mode ("+" in headline) and then press "Add All".
Play would be: just select a track to start playing with.

You can also of course add by "hold" in the album from the albums list and then selecting "Add". Or you do the same (hold) on the "headline" item when you see the track listing (the "Play Shuffled" item), this will also get you the context menu.

In the context menu you just need to tap, it's a normal menu.

silvermilnec
2010-12-30, 15:46
Add or play?
Add would be: Select "Add" Mode ("+" in headline) and then press "Add All".
Play would be: just select a track to start playing with.

You can also of course add by "hold" in the album from the albums list and then selecting "Add". Or you do the same (hold) on the "headline" item when you see the track listing (the "Play Shuffled" item), this will also get you the context menu.

In the context menu you just need to tap, it's a normal menu.

pippin, when i select a track from a album by holding the track, sometimes it can take upto 40 seconds to go to the screen that gives, add to end, play, play next. Sometimes it takes just a couple of seconds but as i say it can take that long that you think you done something wrong.

pippin
2010-12-30, 15:50
40s????
iPeng can't really do a lot here. That's a server generated menu and if it takes 40s to provide it by the server it really sounds like something else is going on.
iPeng itself needs 0.5s for a menu and the turnaround on the network for a simple menu like that is way below that.

But I still don't understand why you need that menu at all just to add a track when you can do it with a simple tap.

silvermilnec
2010-12-30, 17:17
40s????
iPeng can't really do a lot here. That's a server generated menu and if it takes 40s to provide it by the server it really sounds like something else is going on.
iPeng itself needs 0.5s for a menu and the turnaround on the network for a simple menu like that is way below that.

But I still don't understand why you need that menu at all just to add a track when you can do it with a simple tap.

Pippin thanks for trying to help. I started to type what i was doing and decided to try something, as you say i dont need that menu!! doh!! i just single click the track and it adds it to the playlist, sorry for being thick!! i thought i needed to go to the next screen, you live and learn.
Again thanks.

Fozzy
2011-01-03, 09:17
For me I don't think there is a clear winner. I have a selection of older squeezeboxes (classic and boom) an Android phone with SqueezeCommander and a couple of PCs from which I can run the Squeezebox Server Web UI.

I probably use SqueezeCommander on the phone the most because I always know where the phone is - either in my pocket or on charge at my bedside so I don't need to search for it. It seems to do most things pretty easily. The control of synchronisation with SqueezeCommand seems easier than with the Web UI.

For assembling a complicated playlist the Web UI seems easier but I don't always have a PC turned on (Squeezebox Server runs on a NAS) so it isn't quick and easy for more trivial tasks.

For the room I often use the controls on the front for the simpler tasks like on/off, pause/play, play the last track again.

Probably least useful is the remote that goes with the classic. Firstly I only have one between two classics and secondly there is the issue that seems to apply to all remote controls - where is it when you need it?

On that last subject my parents have taken to putting the remote control for their TV on top of the TV so they always know where it is. It seems to me that rather defeats the object of having a remote control - if you always have to go to the TV to operate the controls the buttons may as well be on the TV in the first place. Perhaps that is a good idea - I wonder if any manufacterer would have the courage to make a TV with no remote but the buttons mounted on the TV just like in the old days?