PDA

View Full Version : Query about hifi amplifier inputs

gfoxcroft
2010-12-26, 10:06
This isn't really a question about the SB at all, but I reckon that contributors to this forum will know the answer....

Some time ago I bought a new Cambridge Audio amplifier and connected my CD, minidisc, tuner etc.

There was also an input for my DVD player. I noticed, however, that the volume from the DVD player was significantly lower than from my CD player, though I'm not sure if this is due to my particular CD and DVD machines, or to an intrinsic difference between CD and DVD.

I have now bought a SB Touch and, having run out of inputs, I've plugged it into the DVD sockets and found that that also has much lower volume than the CD player.

Is this what normally hapens, or is it a peculiarity of my particular setup? Which input do people generally use for their SB.

I need to go and switch cables and inputs around to see what difference it makes, but they are rather inaccessible!

Thanks

amcluesent
2010-12-26, 10:23
Obvious 1st thing, have you set the volume on the Touch to maximum?

gfoxcroft
2010-12-26, 10:29
Yes!

Obvious 1st thing, have you set the volume on the Touch to maximum?

Phil Leigh
2010-12-26, 10:50
What model of amplifier is it?

gfoxcroft
2010-12-26, 10:58
Azur 640A

Mnyb
2010-12-26, 11:14
Are you using replay gain tags ? mp3 or flac files ? iTunes sound check ?

RG tags makes things ~10dB softer , this feature called Volume Adjustment/Replay Gain .
Can be turned of in the settings.

You can also make the volume 100% fixed in the settings

380mV input sensistivity , you sure you don't use the phono input (if you have the optional phono input)

Ther is nothing inherently wrong with using the volume control and as their is no standard anymore things can have different levels, but usually the squeezebox is on the louder side of things ?

What is your CD player

gfoxcroft
2010-12-26, 11:19
By phono input, you mean the input for a turntable? I don't think I have one of those. n fact I had to by a separate pre amp so I could (ocassionally) play LPs.

Are you using replay gain tags ? mp3 or flac files ? iTunes sound check ?

RG tags makes things ~10dB softer , this feature called Volume Adjustment/Replay Gain .
Can be turned of in the settings.

You can also make the volume 100% fixed in the settings

380mV input sensistivity , you sure you don't use the phono input (if you have the optional phono input)

Ther is nothing inherently wrong with using the volume control and as their is no standard anymore things can have different levels, but usually the squeezebox is on the louder side of things ?

What is your CD player

Mnyb
2010-12-26, 11:31
By phono input, you mean the input for a turntable? I don't think I have one of those. n fact I had to by a separate pre amp so I could (ocassionally) play LPs.

Was reading the manual on the net that you could have one fitted to the aux input as an option ? they migth have changed that.

gfoxcroft
2010-12-26, 11:35
Well I've already bought the separate box now and it works fine.

Phil Leigh
2010-12-26, 11:36
Some CD players have stupidly high output levels...