PDA

View Full Version : Problem connecting to Napster and Shoutcast

jo-wie
2010-12-24, 12:46
I cannot connect to Napster or Shoutcast from SBS or mysb.com. Error messages are Napster "504 Gateway Time-out" and Shoutcast "Unable to parse SHOUTcast data".

Do anybody know the reason and if somebody is working on these issues? I know it's Christmas time. :)

bernd756
2010-12-24, 15:08
I find it very unattractive to be unable to connect to Napster or ShoutCast through mysqueezebox.com on certain holidays, too. I am surely not willing to pay about 200 for a Squeezebox or even 1700 for a Transporter that will not be able to connect to my Napster to go Flatrate or ShoutCast especially on those days I have the time to listen to music - like today and the next two days...

As I am able to stream from Napster and ShoutCast on my PC, the problem seems to be located at mysqueezebox.com. And no workaround in sight. That is not the way to gain recommendations from satisfied users!

Mnyb
2010-12-25, 02:35
I find it very unattractive to be unable to connect to Napster or ShoutCast through mysqueezebox.com on certain holidays, too. I am surely not willing to pay about 200 for a Squeezebox or even 1700 for a Transporter that will not be able to connect to my Napster to go Flatrate or ShoutCast especially on those days I have the time to listen to music - like today and the next two days...

As I am able to stream from Napster and ShoutCast on my PC, the problem seems to be located at mysqueezebox.com. And no workaround in sight. That is not the way to gain recommendations from satisfied users!

You tried on a PC ok I thought it was a shoutcast problem this no parsing..

But it does not even work trough the local server either. hmm

Nobody works during the weekend so we may have to make do with what works :-/

toby10
2010-12-25, 05:07
+1 :(

For what it's worth, Pandora, Last.fm, Slacker, RadioTime, Radionomy seem fine (so far), only ShoutCast and Napster are not functioning correctly for me.

Now before everyone jumps all over me for "making excuses" for this very real problem with Napster and ShoutCast, I'm just trying to offer some ideas for alternative streaming sources until this gets fixed.

Mnyb
2010-12-25, 05:34
And the Accuradio app ... does not work

Radioio seems to work :) ad that to whats still up and running ?

jo-wie
2010-12-26, 04:41
We got an update from Michael in the German forum.

Napster informed Logitech shortly before Christmas, that the servers which are used by the Squeezeboxes are overloaded and the interface is outdated. Napster will not maintain the old systems anymore and Logitech has to switch to the new interface which was released a few weeks ago. Logitech want to implement quickly the new interface in the new year.

Above is a free translation from me.

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=84166

ravinghill
2010-12-27, 14:11
Actually this program has been ongoing for a few months so it hasn't happened just in the last few weeks.

jmsent
2010-12-28, 19:30
Same problem here. Connection to Napster is extremely glitchy. Using Ipeng, I get all kinds of "unexpected response" messages, Gateway timeouts, and intermittent playback. Napster is now pretty much useless through mysqueezebox.com. Given Logitech's response to problems, I'm betting this will be fixed by, say, next Christmas.

girl_from_oz
2010-12-30, 06:49
One of the main reasons I brought a squeezebox is to play napster, will bug logitech about it a lot in the new year

Mnyb
2010-12-30, 07:11
Toby opened a shoutcast bug. Vote on the bug !!

http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=16718

Also see this rather depressing messages

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showpost.php?p=597824&postcount=11

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showpost.php?p=598114&postcount=19

Griffin
2010-12-30, 08:10
As for shoutcast, logitech tweeted yesterday:
---------8<----------------------------
The SHOUTcast app is being disabled until further notice, find your favorite stations under the Internet Radio menu.
---------8<----------------------------

Mnyb
2010-12-30, 08:16
http://www.shoutcast.com/partners

http://www.shoutcast.com/partner_request_form

http://www.shoutcastblog.com/2010/09...st-api-update/

There seems to be a new API to implement and some other business things we really don't know about yet ? hopefully it get sorted .

"partners" seems like a way for shoutcast to make some $$$ For their radio aggregation from hardware products ?

toby10
2010-12-30, 08:43
Thanks Griffin. Though I think a Tweet is insufficient for keeping customers informed of MySB issues. There should be a simple "Server Status" link within the MySB web UI for all to quickly get timely information on known issues and current status. Having Twitter updates is a neat add-on, but let's get the basics down first with a simple Server Status link for ALL to utilize, when needed.

Just look at the number of posts from users on both Logitech forums regurgitating the same problems with the same Apps. With no central location to obtain such server info users have no other choice than to clog up these forums asking about known issues.

It sure seems Logitech really dropped the ball on third party API's not being updated and implemented. ShoutCast and Napster issues are going to leave a long lasting black eye for the entire SB lineup, which is especially sad if these truly could have been avoided.

*rant over* :)

Mnyb
2010-12-30, 11:24
I'm Starting to suspect that AccuRadio (another broken function) somehow uses shoutcast in the background ?

toby10
2010-12-30, 11:42
I'm Starting to suspect that AccuRadio (another broken function) somehow uses shoutcast in the background ?

I suppose it is possible, but then AccuRadio is not listed in the ShoutCast directory nor searches.

Griffin
2010-12-30, 12:30
*rant over* :)
I do fully agree with that. ATM though, it seems logitech seems to think providing this info via twitter is sufficient.

sneeks
2010-12-31, 02:02
Did everyone receive a email from Napster apologising for loss of service on both Squeezebox and Sonos devices? Nice of them to credit a free months service for the inconvenience.

girl_from_oz
2010-12-31, 03:27
Nope, maybe Napster don't know that I have a squeezebox

Mnyb
2010-12-31, 04:52
Thanks Griffin. Though I think a Tweet is insufficient for keeping customers informed of MySB issues. There should be a simple "Server Status" link within the MySB web UI for all to quickly get timely information on known issues and current status. :)

That wont help in all situations as the website runs on the same "server(s)/datacenter/whatever" so it to would usually be down too .

But imho there should be a status monitoring page where we can see if it's overloaded etc in realtime.

The situation exaclty now is mysb.com is not possible to reach from Sweden so I cant even se the webpage.

sneeks
2010-12-31, 08:22
The email says:

We are aware that a number of our customers have been experiencing difficulties accessing Napster through Sonos and Logitech devices during this holiday season. These recent issues are below the standard of quality and reliability that we expect for our service, and we are working diligently with our partners to solve these issues as quickly as possible.

In the meantime, we apologize for the inconvenience and want to thank you for your continued patience by adding a free month of service to your subscription. No action is needed for you to take advantage of this complimentary extension, it will take effect automatically.

We appreciate your continued patience while we make the necessary changes, and are looking forward to providing an improved service experience as soon as possible for our customers using Napster through Sonos and Logitech devices.

Thank you for your understanding, and as always, thanks for listening.

- Your friends at Napster

asdti
2011-01-01, 11:51
Napster's still not working under the new interface (here at least) - skips most of every album...

girl_from_oz
2011-01-01, 11:58
Same, also i lose connection to the reuter when listening to napster

JJZolx
2011-01-01, 22:48
And everyone has always worried about whether or not Logitech would keep mysqueezebox.com running indefinitely after they've discontinued the Squeeebox line. It doesn't really matter much when the service providers can shut them off in a heartbeat. The chances of Squeezeboxes and mysb.com maintaining compatibility with these services in the future without a concerted effort by Logitech to maintain both the software and the business agreements are nil.

ModelCitizen
2011-01-02, 01:43
Logitech were wrong to tie their devices to their SqueezeboxNetwork. Users of Squeezebox Server should be able to get along quite happily without ever accessing SqueezeboxNetwork, but Logitech made sure that this could not be the case.

Virtually all unreliability I've experience with my Squeeze setup over the last year or two have been down to SqueezeNetwork... a service I don't even choose to use!

Logitech have pretty much destroyed what for me used to be a great system. Most of their Squeeze related business decisions have been misguided and (I'm sure) will lead to the premature ending of the product range.

MC

girl_from_oz
2011-01-02, 09:27
I been having problems with napster on my pc as well so it might just be squeezebox located as far as skipping songs goes

asdti
2011-01-04, 14:32
For me, in Napster, most albums play a track, then skip one (or two or three), then play a track, etc etc.

It's still MUCH worse in the evenings, as well.

I can't say it's fixed at all...

allanweinman
2011-01-04, 15:10
Shoutcast still down on squeezeserver. Anyone tried calling/emailing Logitech support to see what they say?

toby10
2011-01-04, 15:26
Shoutcast still down on squeezeserver. Anyone tried calling/emailing Logitech support to see what they say?

ShoutCast is dead on SqueezeBox's. It has been removed.
You can still play ShoutCast streams via Tune in URL or add to Favorites, but there is no ShoutCast menu's nor interface.

virgiliomi
2011-01-04, 16:03
This post (http://forums.slimdevices.com/showpost.php?p=599604&postcount=24) from a Squeezebox dev gives pretty much all the info about the Shoutcast issue.