PDA

View Full Version : Should I disable unused plugins?

Kyle
2010-12-23, 13:27
Almost all of my plugins are enabled -- default, I guess, since I didn't do it. Does it make any difference? I hardly use any of them.

JonWill
2010-12-23, 13:37
Very good question- and as I run SBS on a very low powered NAS I'd be very interested in the answer...

rcampbel3
2010-12-23, 14:41
Here's my experience: I started out enabling everything - recommended and otherwise and enabled plugin auto-update.

I hit some issues with auto-update of plugins where some plugin updates were causing overall issues with SBS 7.5.1 -- presumably some regressions between plugins developed for 7.6 and maybe tested against nightly stable builds.

I had to reinstall tarball to get back to default plugin versions, and then I started disabling plugins until I found the ONE that was causing me a problem.

-Ross

pski
2010-12-23, 14:58
Very good question- and as I run SBS on a very low powered NAS I'd be very interested in the answer...

If it says the source is Logitech, Good Luck!

p

JJZolx
2010-12-23, 17:06
I disable most of the ones I don't use and leave enabled only the ones that I use regularly, or that I might sometimes use. If nothing else, the server requires less memory with a minimal set of plugins loaded.

The only ones that are a must for me are:

Data and Time (screensaver)
Random Mix
Rescan Music Library

No music services, nothing for mysqueezebox.com, and no third party plugins.

GeeJay
2010-12-24, 21:12
Several years ago I had sync issues that weren't resolved until I disabled a number of unused plug-ins. I'm not sure if the problem would resurface today with all the changes made to improve performance, but I see no reason to risk it so I continue to run SBS as lean as I can.