PDA

View Full Version : How to find these forums from "Logitech" these days?

Sune
2010-12-21, 16:02
I were looking for the forum (long time, no visit) @ slimdeices.com, which turns into logitech pages.

And then...ended up at some kind of forum pages which were not these...

Anyone know why it's not these forum pages that Logitech uses?

/Sune

P.S. Anyone but me, who finds the official logitech-squeezebox-webpages difficult to navigate?

erland
2010-12-21, 16:27
I were looking for the forum (long time, no visit) @ slimdeices.com, which turns into logitech pages.

And then...ended up at some kind of forum pages which were not these...

Anyone know why it's not these forum pages that Logitech uses?

See here:
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=80919

The main reason is probably that their support staff also supports other Logitech products than Squeezebox so it's good to them to have everything collected in one place instead of scattered on different web sites.

There is no link from Logitech web site to the slimdevices.com forum because Logitech probably want the people to stay on their official logitech.com forum.

P.S. Anyone but me, who finds the official logitech-squeezebox-webpages difficult to navigate?

Yes, most people in this community have the same feeling.

The structure on the logitech.com forum site would never work for Squeezeboxes if all current community members started to post there, its structure has been designed for "support staff" <-> "customer" communication but not for "customer" <-> "customer" communication as on the slimdevices.com forum.

NFLnut
2010-12-22, 13:49
I also find the way that Logitech hides/fails to point to these forums beyond annoying! If I don't happen to have the fact that it's always been "forums.slimdevices.com" memorized, and then having to manually type the address from memory, it would take a Google search just to get here.

WHY does Logitech NOT point to these more-than-helpful (and MUCH more helpful than ANY of the Logitech) forums?c

JJZolx
2010-12-22, 15:02
If I don't happen to have the fact that it's always been "forums.slimdevices.com" memorized, and then having to manually type the address from memory, it would take a Google search just to get here.

Ever heard of a bookmark?

erland
2010-12-22, 22:59
WHY does Logitech NOT point to these more-than-helpful (and MUCH more helpful than ANY of the Logitech) forums?

Maybe because they want people with problems to go to the official Logitech forum which their support staff reads ?

As already mentioned, the support staff doesn't monitor these community forums.

Mnyb
2010-12-23, 01:45
That is clear they want complaints where the support staff are.

But what is not that clear to is why there is no links from this forum to such interesting places like http://downloads.slimdevices.com/ and others like
the firmware upgrade repository where can get new fw to your controller etc .
change logs svn and so on

You have to "know" or ask on this forum all the time .

I think I have 5-10 different bookmarks to keep track of what's going on in the SB world .

A sticky on the beta forum or dev forum would do fine "how to get beta versions"

toby10
2010-12-23, 03:30
I'll bet this forum simply disappears some day, sooner rather than later. :(

JJZolx
2010-12-23, 03:43

I'd say probably more later rather than sooner, but who knows? Logitech is one of the most technically inept corporations that I'v even seen, and that's the biggest reason. If these forums, if Squeezebox, if anything that Slim Devices ever contributed to the world, went away tomorrow because someone said so, it shouldn't surprise anyone.

Mnyb
2010-12-23, 05:19
Logitech is one of the most technically inept corporations that I'v even seen.

If thats the case they may not have found this forum themselves to delete it ;) ssh

erland
2010-12-23, 06:35

At least the content is backed up on gmane, so if it would be shutdown we still have access to the information:
http://dir.gmane.org/index.php?prefix=gmane.music.equipment.slimdevices

However, there are no indications that they plan to shutdown the forum, so let's not worry about that yet.

aubuti
2010-12-23, 07:17
However, there are no indications that they plan to shutdown the forum, so let's not worry about that yet.
I strongly suspect that this forum continues only because of Logitech's benign neglect. I don't imagine they have any plans to shut down this forum, but it's easy to imagine that some day they will simply forget to renew the slimdevices.com domain, or not notice that the forum software has gone kablooey, or something like that.

mherger
2010-12-23, 07:25
> I strongly suspect that this forum continues only because of Logitech's
> benign neglect.

No, it still exists because some of us do really care about it.

--

Michael

aubuti
2010-12-23, 07:30
I find that very encouraging. Thanks, and keep up the good fight.

FredFredrickson
2010-12-23, 07:31
Big companies that haven't quite embraced the web 2.0 scare me. I hate it when I love a product that they kill off due to negligence.

The fact that the most vocal users in the squeezebox community are debating when logitech will drop a product is bad news. Even if logitech plans another release, it's pointless now, since they're not nurturing the community they have. Apparently nobody upstairs learned in school that a community with this much dedication is hard to engender. Nurture it while you've got it!

I remember a similar issue going down years back with the Yahoo Music community. Yahoo is by far one of the worst web companies. They don't embrace openness, community, or any of the things that make web 2.0 companies popular. After complaining loudly that the community attitude was getting lousy, I wanted real answers, I finally got patched through on the phone with the head of Yahoo Music- which at the time was Ian Rogers, where he fumbled with his words a bit, didn't give me any indication that we should relax and that things were fine, and it appeared to me that the yahoo music department were as much in the dark as the community. They shortly after shut down their music service and now use Rhapsody as their provider.

I used to frequent the yahoo music community aside from using their music service, but their mishandling of the community was so business based and ignored the true community leaders, that I was too insulted to go back.

I vote we get every logitech exec to read at least one Seth Godin book. I understand they might not care about the slim devices community because it's a small market, but they're not doing themselves any favors with a current asset they own. They'll make their own self-fulfilling prophecy.

Mnyb
2010-12-23, 07:41
> I strongly suspect that this forum continues only because of Logitech's
> benign neglect.

--

Michael

So the community runs on your computer :)

erland
2010-12-23, 08:24
The fact that the most vocal users in the squeezebox community are debating when logitech will drop a product is bad news.

Exactly, so let's try to avoid doing that.

I know it can be very frustrating and I'm aware that I'm sometimes on the wrong side of the line myself, but really, we don't do ourselves any favor by turning every thread to a "Squeezebox products/community is going to die..." thread.

- The forum is here.
- People are still posting and reading very actively.
- There are a lot of community members with passion for the products that want to spend their spare time making them better through beta testing, suggesting improvements, developing applets/plugins/apps and telling Logitech how to manage their business.
- The Logitech developers are still both reading and posting in the forum.
- Multiple Squeezebox are still manufactured and available in the stores.

So both the community and the products are very much alive and most of us love them.

The Logitech people that reads this forum love and care for the products in the same way as we do, probably more, so really, they don't need to be convinced. The people that needs to be convinced aren't reading this forum.

NFLnut
2010-12-23, 09:34
Ever heard of a bookmark?

A what?

All I'm saying is that it's confusing why at least SOMEWHERE on the Logitech site there is no reference to this forum. They could bury it SOMEWHERE, but I have scoured the site and I have to date found no reference to these forums. It's kind of a shame really .. they could even state that this forum is not monitored by Logitech personnel, but I find the complete ignoring of this site a real oversight. There is a wealth of information here, and it could help Squeezebox noobs see that there is a comraderie of passionate users. Some that are several SB product-generations deep. THIS is the kind of community that Logitech should be showcasing to develop a passionate user base.

Oh .. and bookmarks? .. when you're approaching thousands of 'em it's actually faster to find them through a web search or just try from memory.