PDA

View Full Version : Newbie question re: streaming audio from laptop?

JeepersCreepers
2010-12-21, 12:36
Hi, this is my first post so bare in mind that my knowledge is pretty much zero :D

I am seriously considering getting a SB Touch, but really wanted to know to what extent streaming from a laptop HDD running via Wi-FI will affect the general operation of other programs on the laptop? I use the laptop for a number of other things most of the time, and wondered if I needed the laptop to be dedicated to the SB Touch whilst music was streaming? Or do I just have music in a dedicated folder, and it plays regardless?

Hope that makes sense! Many thanks. JC.

garym
2010-12-21, 14:59
for about a year I used my laptop (an old dell dual core processor) for running SbS (streaming music) to my SB players. I had no issues whatsoever. The music is streaming in the background and I'm happily surfing the web, running programs, even running Stat programs with SAS and 100,000 data points. No glitches on playing or on the other programs I was running.

p.s. This said, I now have a vortexbox appliance holding and streaming the music (and lots of SB players). But this was more for the 24/7 factor (and that my wife is now hooked on using the SB players and I'm not always at home with my laptop).

krochat
2010-12-21, 19:17
really wanted to know to what extent streaming from a laptop HDD running via Wi-FI will affect the general operation of other programs on the laptop? I use the laptop for a number of other things most of the time, and wondered if I needed the laptop to be dedicated to the SB Touch whilst music was streaming? Or do I just have music in a dedicated folder, and it plays regardless?

Hope that makes sense! Many thanks. JC.

It depends on a number of things:
1) Does the laptop have a dual-core processor? If not, there might be problems.
2) Is your music MP3, CD-quality FLAC, or Hi-resolution FLAC?
The bigger the music files, the more likelyhood of problems.

If you're using MP3, things will more likely be fine, regardless of the speed of the hardware. If you're using CD-quality flac on a single-core processor, there's a possiblility of music interruptions when running CPU intensive applications. If you're using hi-res, you'll need at least a dual core.

I use an old Dell desktop, 2.4GHz Pentium single-core with Windows XP, to feed 96/24kHz FLAC files to my Touch. I pretty much can't do anything else on the machine without interrupting the music.

I also have a dual-core 2.1GHz Pentium desktop running Windows 7 that can serve CD-quality FLAC files. When running CPU intensive applications (like ripping to MP3 files on iTunes) I would get occasional interruptions in the music.

On the other hand, if you have an old PC (or can get one for $5 at a garage sale like I did recently), and load VortexBox (a Linux-based Squeezebox server) on it, you'll be set for anything you want to play.

Regards,
Kim

JeepersCreepers
2010-12-22, 04:14
Thanks garym & krochat :D

My laptop has a intel core 2 duo cpu p8600 @2.4 GHz. Also 4Gb RAM. Running Windows Home Premium 32 bit.

Most of the files I want to play are FLAC files.

I know that it is also possible to plug HDD's and SD cards into the SB Touchs' USB port, I have a couple of powered external HDD's so maybe that would work better. Do you know if the Touch will play from pen drives via USB? That would also be useful!

The alternative for me would be a music dedicated netbook through a DAC, but as I don't own either at the moment, this would be way more expensive than the Touch option :(

Mnyb
2010-12-22, 04:17
What can be a snag is the wifi bandwidth you cant obviously download torrent at fill tilt over the wifi at same time as streaming music ;)

But if heavy downloading is expected you can always temporarily connect the laptop with a Ethernet cable to the router to not disturb the music .

Is this a never laptop with N wifi ? then things can be better ofcourse .

But maybe your internet conection is not fast enough to max out your home network before maxed the external connection.

Controlling the player with the remotes a phone or reaching the web-UI over the network from another computer.

Don't forget that squeezeboxserver can easily be controlled from another computer than the one that's hold the server and the music.

I have a small server elsewhere but sometimes I have an netbook as control point often when I have guests .

JeepersCreepers
2010-12-22, 07:55
Thanks Mnyb :D

Does anyone have any news on using the Touch with HDD on USB connection? Does it work well?

Thanks

aubuti
2010-12-22, 09:27
Does anyone have any news on using the Touch with HDD on USB connection? Does it work well?
_Volumes_ have been written about that topic in this forum. Browse through this forum and you'll find plenty. My summary would be (1) sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, (2) only use USB HDDs with their own power supply, (3) among those self-powered drives, some work better than others, (4) you'll need to patient while it scans, and (5) a "real" SBS running on a computer or NAS is a more reliable solution; it also gives you more flexibility (plugins, web ui, transcoding, etc).

Personally I wouldn't recommend that someone buy the Touch if the _only_ way they are willing to play their music library is by connecting a USB drive to the Touch. If you're willing to accept an external server (could be a laptop) as Plan B (or Plan A) and you have a Touch and a USB HDD and want to try it, go ahead and see how it works.