PDA

View Full Version : Dear Logitech Grinches

SadieKate
2010-12-13, 18:59
Any chance you can fix anything with your servers? Please?

I haven't played with my 3 SBs for almost a year because you've worn me out. I had to just walk away and ignore them for several months because I was tired of your incessant illogical pointing of fingers at my network when 2 SBs work fine and no other wireless devices have ever had connectivity problems in this household.
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=73681

This week, I decided to try again. As usual, 2 of the 3 worked fine. Yesterday, one decided that it would have problems with mysqueezebox.com but then had a good burp and reconnected.

Today? None of them work. They all exhibit either The Blue Death Stare or the Red Blinkie of Doom.

11 months and you still have not fixed the server issues? Nor have you returned any of my emails to customer service? As usual, I can't listen to Christmas music when I most need music in my life.

I cringed earlier this year when I bought just a wee Logitech mouse.

Please, can you bring just a bit of Christmas back?

Signed,
The Owner of some Damned Expensive Paperweights in Whoville

SuperQ
2010-12-13, 19:28
Have you installed a local squeezebox server?

SadieKate
2010-12-13, 19:31
Yes, on one computer only and it is stopped. I ONLY stream Pandora using the SBs.

What is sad is I came here to research wireless routers because I have to buy a new one. I thought I could listen to music while I browsed.

I just did a factory reset of the controller. All 3 players came back up on the controller screen. None connect.

SadieKate
2010-12-13, 19:51
I just started the SB Server and clicked on the Diagnostics tab:

Under mysqueezebox.com --
Server IP Address: xxx.xx.xxx.xxx
Ping:
Port 3483 (slimproto): Failed
Port 900 (HYYP): Failed

We were not able to successfully communicate with mysqueezebox.com
This might be a temporary internet issue, or a limitation imposed by your ISP. If the problem persists, please make sure your firewall is not blocking outgoing traffic.

Since I have had these SBs working in the past, it seems that neither my ISP nor my Firewall are a problem.

Thanks for any ideas.

rgro
2010-12-13, 19:52
Hi SadieKate,

Just about the time you made your first post, I was as frustrated as you. We'd been running our laptops wirelessly for several years without issue. Then we got the Duet, tried to set it up and it was confoundingly intermittent. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't--with no particular rhyme or reason. I can't tell you how many factory resets I did, and wanted to chuck it through the window on a number of ocassions.

I guess the bad news for you is that, in the end, it WAS my network problem. A goofy setup of our wired/wireless network several years previously but, in the main, it was a P.O.S. wireless router. That same Duet that I wanted to murder has been working flawlessly for the better part of year (as has my new Touch). The new router completely solved all of those "random" issues.

So, look at the signal strength of your SB's...80% or more or is good---if it's under 60 or so, you're likely to have problems. Either relocate your SB's and/or your router so your reception is excellent. Make sure you're not getting interference from neighbors' wireless routers. Alternatively, hard wire your SB's to your router or experiment with those Homeplug thingies. Or...buy the best, most powerful router out there, factory reset all your SB's stuff and completely start over.

If you come here with a positive attitude, open mind, and a willingness to put in some time trying some different things and listen to the VERY helpful folks on here that are much smarter than I, I'd bet you a hot toddie that your carols will be playing before you know it...

And, just to make sure you understand....this is strictly a user's forum---not official Logitech support. It's an all volunteer effort here. Nobody (well, almost nobody, hehe) works for Logitech.

SadieKate
2010-12-13, 20:04
If you come here with a positive attitude, open mind, and a willingness to put in some time trying some different things and listen to the VERY helpful folks on here that are much smarter than I, I'd bet you a hot toddie that your carols will be playing before you know it...

I have! Over and over. It's not the folks on the forum - it's the Logitech staff (I was pretty clear about that :) ). You think I need more than 100% wireless signal? The SB that has the most problems sits the closest to the router (less than 5 ft) - and no it can't have a cable, unless I never plan on using that corner of my office again.

So what router do you use? I have to buy a new one and Qwest is still only offering G, so I figure I can shop "outside the box." The 2 SBs have run fine for several days, until now.

Thanks for the suggestions, but the only one I haven't tried is a new router which I need to do anyway as the current one has to be returned as that contract is terminated.

rgro
2010-12-13, 20:09
Oh yeah, I forgot to to mention..you need a 5000% signal for these things to work properly ;>).

I have a Qwest M1000 (not wireless) DSL router which is hard-wired directly to a Netgear WNDR3700 (it's g and n) wireless router.

It's also certainly possible that you have a defective SB unit or possibly DNS issues that others here can help you with....

Also, it would be helpful for others to know which SB's you have.

SadieKate
2010-12-13, 21:34
Also, it would be helpful for others to know which SB's you have.You mean the Duets in that "first" (or 70th) post I made before I gave up the last time? :) Software is as up to date as I can get it considering the state o' things.

The 5,000% strength signal? Hmmm . . .

garym
2010-12-14, 06:43
You mean the Duets in that "first" (or 70th) post I made before I gave up the last time? :) Software is as up to date as I can get it considering the state o' things.

The 5,000% strength signal? Hmmm . . .

So SadieKate does not actually want help. Asked nicely to give us more info so we could help diagnose things we get only a remark about how she posted this info in a different thread long ago. I assume she has only duets based on this comment. So what does she have and which ones work and which ones don't. And what is her OS of computer, version of SbS, etc.

and p.s. the messages your are getting related to mysb.com all seem related to your router not letting the traffic through. So a new router will likely be a very good place to start.

ghostrider
2010-12-14, 09:12
The SB that has the most problems sits the closest to the router (less than 5 ft) - and no it can't have a cable, unless I never plan on using that corner of my office again.

This makes a lot of sense. A five foot cable will disrupt the office that much?

justNigel
2010-12-14, 10:20
I know it's a bother, but do try a hardwired connection -- just for now. It may be that your router is c**p, the wireless in the box is borked (it happened to me!), or that you've got too much interference on the channel it's set on. (Try Netstumbler if you don't know what your wireless neighbourhood looks like.)

iPhone
2010-12-14, 10:58
Just about the time you made your first post, I was as frustrated as you. We'd been running our laptops wirelessly for several years without issue. It's an all volunteer effort here. Nobody (well, almost nobody, hehe) works for Logitech.

Laptops and Signal Strength are not proof of a good or interference free WiFi Network. Never have been, never will be. Streaming Audio and Video are the two hardest things a WiFi network can do. So what if you drop a packet or two while surfing or doing email, it just gets resent as web and email are not "real time" dependent, streaming audio is.

The reason Logitech keeps pointing at ones Network is that 95% of the problems are with ones own Network. All the other people that don't have problems would be having problems also if it were the Squeezebox or MYSB.com. It could be the Router, it could be the setup, it could be the ISP, it could be a program one loaded on the PC last week, it could be the WiFi channel selected, or interference. And the fact that her ports will not pass traffic, its most likely her Network or setup. It is illogical to claim that since it worked before its can't be her Router or ISP. That is like trying to say her car started 10 years ago the last time she used it, it should start now, even though the battery is now dead but its the same one and all the fuel has evaporated.

If people are not willing to troubleshoot and provide information Forum Members ask for, then we can't help them. Using Ethernet cuts the problem in half. If it works with Ethernet, then we can eliminate that its a bad Squeezebox (other then WiFi Card), not the Internet, not the Server, not the Router. It basically puts it all on the WiFi setup or Squeezebox WiFi Card. By WiFi, I mean it could be interference, poor channel selection, bad card, bad WiFi router, improper setup, poor router placement selection.

So the question again is is she going to answer the questions?
What OS is the PC running?
What version of SBS is running?
What model and brand router is being used?
What channel is the WiFi on?
Is a Firewall being used?
Is an active anti-virus running?
What are the three Squeezebox models and firmware version of each?