PDA

View Full Version : Recommended Squeezebox controller app for iPad?

realcodeguy
2010-12-11, 21:58
I have an iPad on the way and was wondering which Squeezebox controller app you would recommend?

bluegaspode
2010-12-12, 01:13
There is a thread here called SquuezePad vs. IPeng ( or vice versa, can't remember), that might give you some inspiration.
Apart from that both Apps have a lot of 5stars ratings worldwide, so you won't find any flaws in them.

They are different though, so in the end your taste and personal preference must decide I guess.

bluegaspode
2010-12-12, 01:17
Here is the thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=83112

And a german one as well http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=83256

pippin
2010-12-12, 01:23
We always ignore the third App in the discussion ;)

realcodeguy
2010-12-12, 10:43
Thanks for the pointing me in the right direction bluegaspode. I'll read the thread and decide.

pipin, I'm guessing third app isn't even worth looking at ;-)

Regarding the phone controllers, when my iPhone was eligible for an upgrade I switched over to the Captivate. I'm regretting that choice now as it is suffering from the random shutdown issue plaguing AT&T. However, SqueezeCommander is an awesome Android app. I just wish it had a couple small features like the ability to mark the currently playing song a favorite.

pippin
2010-12-12, 11:24
pipin, I'm guessing third app isn't even worth looking at ;-)

I did not say that.
It doesn't have full controller capabilities like iPeng and SqueezePad but it does playback.

On SqueezeCommander: I know flattermann is working hard to add these kind of features.

realcodeguy
2010-12-12, 15:30
I did not say that.
It doesn't have full controller capabilities like iPeng and SqueezePad but it does playback.

On SqueezeCommander: I know flattermann is working hard to add these kind of features.

Understood. Thanks.

Ron Olsen
2010-12-12, 23:23
I have an iPad and have both iPeng and SqueezePad on it.

Right now, iPeng has more features (portrait mode, party mode, song lyrics screensaver, ...) and is the one I would recommend.

SqueezePad is under active development (as is iPad), and may catch up in the future, but iPeng is in the lead right now.

bigblackdog
2010-12-12, 23:57
They are both terrific apps. I use both, probably lean more towards iPeng but that is only because I was using that on my iPhone long before squeeze pad was around.
Buy both and decide for yourself. Let's face it they are not expensive.

bluegaspode
2010-12-13, 01:13
Right now, iPeng has more features (portrait mode, party mode, song lyrics screensaver, ...) and is the one I would recommend.

SqueezePad is under active development (as is iPad), and may catch up in the future, but iPeng is in the lead right now.

I would never start a battle about feature count. The main philosophy behind SqueezePad is to have a lean, slick and elegant user interface, that is easy to learn in the first place. This philosophy doesn't match a 'put anything into it, just because a few users with special needs wants it' - philosophy.
One example for that maybe is pippins latest 'rescan library from iPeng' feature. Personally I don't think that such a feature is used very often by the majority of users, so right now postponed that in favor of not having to put a button anywhere (even on the settings screen) that.
Pippin on the other hand also doesn't mind, that people have to read his manual to find most of the features, his interface is full of strange buttons everywhere that make it hard for first time users and guests (as an example: no first time user will ever know the function of that globe button beside the search bar, nor the meaning of the buttons to change the playlist mode).

Maybe that's also the reason, why users have such a difficult decision between both Apps.
Feature count comes with the price to be harder to learn. Some people are OK with that (and I guess most of the forum users belong to that category) but most people are not.

On the long run it will be more difficult to decide between both Apps I guess. Both will grow in feature count but I think they will go into different directions having different features each, making it even harder to compare.
I'm very OK with that, because that means even more that people need to buy both to make their own mind :)

bluegaspode
2010-12-13, 01:17
Oh - and to underline my last paragraph, last Friday I sent an update to Apple with a new very cool feature, that's not available in iPeng, so wish me luck, that Apple will still review it before Christmas :)
Sort of the answer to the lyrics screensaver and kids mode :D

pippin
2010-12-13, 01:57
user interface, that is easy to learn in the first place.

Now here we have the essence about the difference in philosophy between iPeng and SqueezePad.
iPeng isn't optimized for "easy to learn in the first place" but for efficiency of use.
Most iPeng users are not occasional users, they use the App every day. And face it: "easy to learn" generally gets in the way of "fast to use".

What this means is that a first-time user will indeed have to take four minutes of time and watch the help animations that automatically pop up - if he wants the full functionality.

As iPeng comes in it's initial configuration there is pretty much nothing you _need_ to understand.
Take the search, it's a good example. Search in iPeng is always on the main screen (there's a permanent search entry field). So if you decide you want to search for something you just enter the term and get results (or the descending menu for the search term).
And then there is the "globe" button next to it. The "globe" button switches between two search modes. You are hinted to this when you first start the App but if you don't know that - e.g. your guests - it doesn't really matter that much doesn't it, it will not prevent you from searching, it's just a detail you don't know.
In SqueezePad, on the other hand, you have to go to "Home->My Music->Albums" (for example) before you can even enter the search string. And if you then want to go back to where you were you have to find your way while in iPeng you just go back to the menu tree you used before and all your previous results will still be there.

Or take initial startup. iPeng you start. In 99% of the cases that's it, you might have to enter MySqueezebox.com credentials but hey, you can't avoid that. But then you can play your music. I just a received a comment from a tester who said it's the most "plug and play" remote control App he's ever seen.
SqueezePad, however, introduces itself with a settings screen.

I believe we simply have a different definition of "ease of use". Which is fine, indeed.

bluegaspode
2010-12-13, 03:46
In SqueezePad, on the other hand, you have to go to "Home->My Music->Albums" (for example) before you can even enter the search string
It's 'Home->Search' but the important thing here is, that it's at the same place as with a Squeezebox.
My wife for instance often switches between iPad and Controller (yes there are times when I have the iPad and she needs to control the music nevertheless). Two different menu styles are not the right way to go here (in my opinion).

I think the same is true for Touch and Radio users. Even with SqueezePad people will be using these devices directly, when their remote is not in sight. So that's why I think it's important to keep the same menus and why I won't rearrange them to not confuse users.

As I have so much other stuff in my mind I'm very happy that I don't need to think everytime where I find stuff on my SqueezeBox and within SqueezePad.

I just a received a comment from a tester who said it's the most "plug and play" remote control App he's ever seen.

I think we both have numerous comments on the AppStore who claim that.
One current from Australia for SqueezePad:

"Just bought this and had it working in about 5 seconds.. it auto detected my server and squeezebox boom, and just worked straight away. Easy to navigate & easy to use; very impressed!"

I believe we simply have a different definition of "ease of use". Which is fine, indeed.

As has everyone else. Reading the AppStore comments you have users who say iPeng is better and I have users that write they are happy not being forced to use iPeng ever again.

Which in the end again boils down to the fact:
Everyone has different taste so realcodeguy only you alone can decide for yourself by bying both Apps :D
In the end you will always ask yourself if you miss anything from the other App anyway *g* ...

pippin
2010-12-13, 03:53
I think we both have numerous comments on the AppStore who claim that.

This wasn't an App Store review but a professional tech writer.

pippin
2010-12-13, 04:14
App Store ratings can be fun or not.
For example for the iPhone version I have the following comment on the US App Store:

It's a "1-Star" rating with the headline "piece of cr#p" and the text

Before I even loaded music onto my iPod, I installed this app. I have a number of squeezeboxes installed in my house and I was interested to see how this app performed in comparison to the Logitech squeezebox controller. For navigating music, it makes the iPod a better controller than Logitech's controller! iPeng is easy to use and configure. It has fantastic graphics and makes good use of the great touch interface.

The developer is very actively developing this app. I downloaded it not quite 2 weeks ago and I've already seen 2 updates!

If you own a squeezebox and an iPhone and/or an iPod touch, you need this app - plain and simple!

You can also add another app called squeezecast to the mix and turn you iPod into a portable squeezebox too. iPeng combined with squeezecast turn your iPod touch or iPhone into the ultimate portable squeezebox device.

Now what does this tell us?

I believe I remember this particular rating from the very early days of iPeng (1.0.something) and the user originally had an issue making it crash.
I believe he since kept updating the comment several times but not the headline and rating :(

Pascal Hibon
2010-12-13, 04:57
I simply adore iPeng. It is a great remote and I like the extensive list of possibilities while still keeping an intuitive interface. It is fairly easy to use even without reading the help files.
I will most probably buy an iPad when the second generation comes out and iPeng will be one of the first apps that will be installed on it. The iPad 2 is on my wishlist simply because of iPeng. Maybe you should ask for your commision at Apple... :-)

bluegaspode
2010-12-13, 05:05
This wasn't an App Store review but a professional tech writer.

They are all bribed anyway :D

pippin
2010-12-13, 06:40
It's 'Home->Search' but the important thing here is, that it's at the same place as with a Squeezebox.

On my installation there is no "Home->Search" but it's where I wrote it is (I'm missing the Globalsearch on 7.6 right now, don't ask me why).
So much about "same place as with the Squeezebox". Squeezebox keeps changing these things with every release.
You can't really miss a Search entry field at the top of the screen, can't you?

My wife for instance often switches between iPad and Controller (yes there are times when I have the iPad and she needs to control the music nevertheless). Two different menu styles are not the right way to go here (in my opinion).

iPeng doesn't have different menu styles (other than settings). The menu is just flatter which is more convenient and makes a lot of sense IMHO if you have a bigger screen. Just blowing the Controller menu up on an iPad can't be the thing to do, IMHO.
And I believe that deep menus just suck. Which is inline with Apple's HMI guidelines, btw.
And there are more details in some menus, but the overall structure is exactly the same.

I think the same is true for Touch and Radio users.

But not for SB3 and Transporter users which have different menu structure.
Or users of the web interface which has yet another menu structure.

I prefer to have a good UI instead of just copying one of the others. But as I said: it comes down to preferences.

maggior
2010-12-13, 08:26
App Store ratings can be fun or not.
For example for the iPhone version I have the following comment on the US App Store:

It's a "1-Star" rating with the headline "piece of cr#p" and the text

Now what does this tell us?

I believe I remember this particular rating from the very early days of iPeng (1.0.something) and the user originally had an issue making it crash.
I believe he since kept updating the comment several times but not the headline and rating :(

Huh? I wrote that review this weekend, but I certainly didn't give it a 1 star rating or called it a piece of cr#p. Did the app store screw something up? I also wrote a review (a good one) for squeezecast which hasn't shown up. Strange.

pippin
2010-12-13, 10:52
Huh? I wrote that review this weekend, but I certainly didn't give it a 1 star rating or called it a piece of cr#p. Did the app store screw something up? I also wrote a review (a good one) for squeezecast which hasn't shown up. Strange.

You are right. Sorry.
Looks like AppViz (a software that downloads App information) mixed up two reviews (yours and another one).
That guy must have really screwed something up, he even claimed he had to pay again for a reinstall. This is obviously the App's fault, of course :rolleyes: (it's _really hard_ to make this happen and would then definitely apply to all your apps).

Looks like I have to have a closer eye on other people's software (AppViz in this case), maybe it also explains some similar cases that I attributed to changed ratings in the past.

Sorry, your review is indeed a good one in all aspects, thanks for that!

erland
2010-12-13, 10:52
They are both terrific apps. Buy both and decide for yourself. Let's face it they are not expensive.

Exactly!

Buying both is actually also a good way to make your favorite app even better. I'm completely convinced that neither iPeng nor SqueezePad would have the functionality they have today without the competition. After all, we are talking about a cost similar to what people usually spend on other unnecessary things every month without thinking.

So let's buy both and make sure both developers can continue to compete and produce new features to these great apps.

jhonsberger@msn.com
2010-12-13, 15:38
Well I think both are very good but I have a general rule of thumb.

Wife= Squeezepad
Me=Either one
Kids 20 and 25 years old =Ipeng

That makes it tough.I say buy both.

realcodeguy
2010-12-13, 19:14
I am going to buy both. I often have folks over who are uneducated in the technical world, so it will be nice to have a simpler straight forward app. But, it sounds like I'll probably use iPeng most of the time. Can't say for sure until my iPad arrives, due in this week.

In regards to the two philosophies, I think there is a market for both of them. I've been a developer for almost 20 years. The company I work for has always been the leader and known for the place to go for all the bells and whistles. This year, we've been working on a lite, simple to use version that is starting to take off. So, like I said, you both fill needs for all types of users which I think is great.