PDA

View Full Version : Need better album art. How?

trinkner
2010-12-10, 08:00
I have about 7,000 tracks ripped to mp3, FLAC, and Apple Lossless. Many of my tracks have embedded album art, and some have folder.jpg album art in their folders.

I'm using the Touch, and a lot of the album art looks really crumby because, I think, the touch is using the tiny 5kb "folder.jpg" files to display.

Is there an easy batch program that will use Internet sources to automatically replace my folder.jpg files with much larger files?

I've looked into dbPowerAmp, but that only has the ability to find good album art during the ripping process, not for files that are already ripped.

Thanks

garym
2010-12-10, 08:10
http://sourceforge.net/projects/album-art/

trinkner
2010-12-10, 08:56
This Album Art Downloader looks like a cool program. I used it to download a few images.

Ideally, I'd like a script that will download 500x500 images (when available) for all the albums in a directory, not just one at a time.

Anybody know if such a script exists? I did a quick Google search and didn't find one.

Thanks

trinkner
2010-12-10, 12:07
The album art that displays in my iTunes is of quite good quality with decent file sizes. The problem was that my folder.jpg artwork was minuscule in comparison.

My solution:

1. Use Window's command prompt to delete every .jpg file in your music collection, running recursively through your subfolders with the command

del *.jpg /s

Be sure you run this command from the top folder of your music collection, not the top folder of your hard drive!

2. Use iTunes Artwork Converter ($15) to take all the artwork from wherever iTunes mysteriously hides your artwork and create a Folder.jpg in each of your albums' folders. Available at http://www.tromer.name/iTunesArtworkConverter/

This took me about 5 minutes to do for about 700 albums. Cost $15. Best $15 I've spent in some while.

It still doesn't address the issue of trying to find perfect 500x500 artwork as recommended by the forum poster Jean elsewhere on this forum, but it should help my Touch display significantly nicer images than before. Once I get around to syncing my laptop's music collection with my USB drive for tinySB to see it, I'll let you know how it went.

Richard

iPhone
2010-12-10, 14:41
Have you checked out Bliss (http://www.blisshq.com/) or other organizers?

Amazon can be a source of album art but the downside is its all manual. One has to find the Album on Amazon, then select which Image to use, then download and save it to the directory of the Album (preferably as a JPEG) as folder.jpg

tv69
2010-12-12, 09:37
Bliss looks like it could be the ticket to easy artwork downloading for large collections. Thanks for the tip iPhone. Have you used it much and what are your own impressions?

Thanks

TV

paulster
2010-12-12, 18:52
If you want really good artwork and don't mind a bit of manual work then www.albumartexchange.com really has no competition for quality of images.

It's more involved than using an automated tool but the quality is fantastic.

iPhone
2010-12-13, 07:26
Bliss looks like it could be the ticket to easy artwork downloading for large collections. Thanks for the tip iPhone. Have you used it much and what are your own impressions?

Thanks

TV

I think Bliss is good for two different groups of users. The first group is those with huge collects and the second is for those that have to have something automated whether its because they don't have the knowledge to grab it elsewhere, its a time thing, or again the collection is so large. It is easy to use and set rules. It doesn't mess up any of my album art the way iTunes does. Additionally the Update, Resize, Replace function can be very handy. Between all the access libraries, it probably has over 12 million covers available.

AlbumArtExchange does have very good images, but its manual and only has about 130K covers. As an example out of the nine Flim & the BB's Albums it only has 2 of them. Bliss has all the covers except for the limited pressing 1978 self titled album.

souwalker
2010-12-14, 16:52
Will Bliss work with exisitng album arts?

I have all my FLAC files in my QNAP NAS. The covers are 'covers.jpg' in the same folder as my files.

Will Blis replace my current album covers in that folder and how does it do this?

The album covers looks ok on the SB touch display but I am also using iPeng on my iPhone and the covers looks bad. I need higher resolution.

Rgds

paulster
2010-12-14, 17:02
I gave Bliss a try yesterday with high hopes of it filling in the few low resolution covers I have remaining in my library but it wasn't to be.

It seemingly lost connection to itself, started rescanning or otherwise for the 12 hours I let it run against a subset of my shadow library without managing to do anything useful whatsoever before I decided that there's not a cat-in-hell's chance that I'm going to trust it against my full main library.

Clearly YMMV.

millerlitescott
2010-12-14, 17:51
I downloaded Bliss also but as far as I can tell it did not affect anything. I am just looking for my artwork to show up on my Touch. It does not show up when I use my netbook as the source but the artwork shows up when I use the family laptop as the source. But the Touch stops playing when I use the family laptop.

So thats my story.

elstensoftware
2010-12-15, 06:11
Hi Scott. Did you rescan the squeezebox server? See this: Rescanning Squeezebox server (http://logitech-en-amr.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/16709/~/rescanning-squeezebox-touch-music-library-after-adding-new-music).

elstensoftware
2010-12-15, 06:13
Will Bliss work with exisitng album arts?

I have all my FLAC files in my QNAP NAS. The covers are 'covers.jpg' in the same folder as my files.

Will Blis replace my current album covers in that folder and how does it do this?

The album covers looks ok on the SB touch display but I am also using iPeng on my iPhone and the covers looks bad. I need higher resolution.
bliss works with whatever already exists. It doesn't replace existing art. If you want to change the art, you can do that manually once it's finished its scan. If you want to specify a minimum resolution you can do that also.

elstensoftware
2010-12-15, 06:16
I gave Bliss a try yesterday with high hopes of it filling in the few low resolution covers I have remaining in my library but it wasn't to be.

It seemingly lost connection to itself, started rescanning or otherwise for the 12 hours I let it run against a subset of my shadow library without managing to do anything useful whatsoever before I decided that there's not a cat-in-hell's chance that I'm going to trust it against my full main library.
Darn, sorry to hear that paulster and I respect your conclusion. I've been working on some 'scaling' issues with large libraries that can sometimes occur... do you have 15k albums or more? Hopefully I'll have a fixed version out in a few weeks.

If you have the time, get in touch via bliss@blisshq.com and I'll see if I can diagnose your specific problem.

mbg
2010-12-15, 09:31
The album art that displays in my iTunes is of quite good quality with decent file sizes. The problem was that my folder.jpg artwork was minuscule in comparison.

My solution:

1. Use Window's command prompt to delete every .jpg file in your music collection, running recursively through your subfolders with the command

del *.jpg /s

Be sure you run this command from the top folder of your music collection, not the top folder of your hard drive!

You may also have to do a recursive unsetting of system and hidden attributes on *.jpg if you use Windows Media Player. Either the current or past versions used to hide these files and a regular delete wouldn't see them. Might as well do read-only, too...

i.e. attrib -r -h -s *.jpg /s

...from the top music folder.

paulster
2010-12-15, 10:05
Hi Scott. Did you rescan the squeezebox server? See this: Rescanning Squeezebox server (http://logitech-en-amr.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/16709/~/rescanning-squeezebox-touch-music-library-after-adding-new-music).
Good point. I always use embedded art which means the changes get picked up on a 'Look for new and changed music' scan, but if you're using JPEGs within the album folders then it won't pick up changes unless you do a complete rescan, which is lousy but it's a fact.

iPhone
2010-12-15, 10:21
Good point. I always use embedded art which means the changes get picked up on a 'Look for new and changed music' scan, but if you're using JPEGs within the album folders then it won't pick up changes unless you do a complete rescan, which is lousy but it's a fact.

This is true, but it is no fault of Bliss. This is a requirement of SBS and its data base and scanner.

paulster
2010-12-15, 10:46
This is true, but it is no fault of Bliss. This is a requirement of SBS and its data base and scanner.
Sorry if I wasn't clear. The OP reported that he was getting music but not images on his Touch after we'd discussed Bliss, so I was referring to the lousy handling of images in folders in SBS when it comes to scanning for changes.

I'll give Bliss another shot when I'm back from the Christmas vacation but considering the 60-or-so covers that I'm missing really good artwork for, that I haven't been able to find via iTunes, Google Images, other artwork sites, etc., I think I may just pull them out of storage and scan them myself so I can at least post them at Album Art Exchange.

elstensoftware
2010-12-16, 02:19
Nice idea paulster [to put the art on AAE]. I had brief conversations with the maintainer/boss of AAE a few months ago about getting an integration to bliss... at the time he sounded busy with a server move. I don't think they have an API yet.

RussellMrgn
2011-01-22, 16:35
If you want really good artwork and don't mind a bit of manual work then www.albumartexchange.com really has no competition for quality of images.

+1

This and VSO's Image Resizer, makes a very powerful image artwork tool.

Russ.

fillmore
2011-01-23, 12:02

similarly, i like http://cover-paradies.to/.

this site has a huge library of complete artwork scans, most of them are very good resolution.