PDA

View Full Version : Moving from Windows to Vortexbox

morgs
2010-12-06, 01:26
Hi!

I have been a happy Squeezebox user for about 5 years now, slowly adding more boxes to my setup. Recently I have decided to take the plunge with a Vortexbox following all of the great reviews I have see both on this forum and elsewhere.

Over the years I have spent much time getting my preferences and plugins into a state where I am happy.

Once the Vortexbox arrives I will be looking to move everything from my existing Windows PC (running squeezeserver v 7.3.1). The Vortexbox will be running v7.5.1.

I am assuming that there will be no easy way to transfer all of my preferences and plugins due to the shift in both OS and squeezeserver version....but I just wanted to check?

Thanks in advance

Chris

garym
2010-12-06, 05:49
Hi!

I have been a happy Squeezebox user for about 5 years now, slowly adding more boxes to my setup. Recently I have decided to take the plunge with a Vortexbox following all of the great reviews I have see both on this forum and elsewhere.

Over the years I have spent much time getting my preferences and plugins into a state where I am happy.

Once the Vortexbox arrives I will be looking to move everything from my existing Windows PC (running squeezeserver v 7.3.1). The Vortexbox will be running v7.5.1.

I am assuming that there will be no easy way to transfer all of my preferences and plugins due to the shift in both OS and squeezeserver version....but I just wanted to check?

Thanks in advance

Chris

you are correct. But it only took me 1 hour or so to get all my plugins setup on vortexbox. And I'm using a lot of erland's plugins for playlists, music information screen for custom displays, superdatetime, etc. Yes, sort of a pain, but not really that bad. And you'll love the vortexbox. rock solid server!!!

socistep
2010-12-08, 12:59
Depends on which of Erlands plugins you use but you can backup and reinstate trackstat which I use heavily (I reinstalled my vortexbox server so a similar process to yours), I also copied and pasted my playlists over

Apart from that I reinstalled all plugins manually and changed various settings