PDA

View Full Version : idea for a plugin - "multi-user weighted shuffling"



Dale E Martin
2004-05-11, 07:41
One thing I would like to be able to do is a "big shuffle" of my whole
collection. I've got a little bit of everything though, and a family who
probably doesn't want to hear everything in the collection... (And some
stuff might not be appropriate for my kids, who are 3 and 5.) So what I
would like to be able to do is have some checkboxes for listeners - Joe,
Nancy, Kimmy, and Tammy.

You check the box when they are listening, uncheck when they aren't. Then
I'd like to associate some metadata with the mp3 files, and/or perhaps the
folders. Basically, on a per/genre, per/artist, per/album, and/or per song
basis each of my listeners could score from 1-10. 1 means "never play this
if I'm listening". 10 means "this is my favorite, play it often".
Anything in between falls in that range. Joe likes Heavy Metal, so he
scores the whole genre at 10, but Kimmy never wants to hear Judas Priest so
she scores them at 1. Or maybe one song is particularly offensive to
someone, even if they like a particular artist or album.

When building a shuffled playlist, these weightings are used to decide
probabalities for songs to get played. Some songs will disappear from the
list altogether because someone might have rated them "1". On the other
hand, favorites of anyone listening get more heavily weighted so everyone
will hear an interesting variety of music.

I'm not sure where this metadata lives and/or how it gets edited. If it's
strictly a per song thing then it could be in the comment tag of the mp3
file. If it really can operate at a folder level, then perhaps it's a
separate file. Where it goes could have some impact on how it is edited.
It would be slick to allow editing straight out of the slimserver web
interface, but for simplicity it might be easier to use an external
editor. A "quickhack" version of the idea might keep the whole thing in
the space of mp3 tags, and the editing with "easytag" or tag editor of
choice.

Does anyone else think that this is a cool idea? Does it already exist? If
I was to start playing around to figure out how to write a Slimserver
plugin, is there documentation or would I just need to start hacking on an
existing plugin in learn from there?

Thanks,
Dale
--
Dale E. Martin, Clifton Labs, Inc.
Senior Computer Engineer
dmartin (AT) cliftonlabs (DOT) com
http://www.cliftonlabs.com
pgp key available

Erv Walter
2004-05-11, 09:23
Oooh. I like this idea a lot. Make it so :)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dale E Martin" <dmartin (AT) cliftonlabs (DOT) com>
To: <developers (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com>
Sent: Tuesday, May 11, 2004 9:41 AM
Subject: [Developers] idea for a plugin - "multi-user weighted shuffling"


> One thing I would like to be able to do is a "big shuffle" of my whole
> collection. I've got a little bit of everything though, and a family who
> probably doesn't want to hear everything in the collection... (And some
> stuff might not be appropriate for my kids, who are 3 and 5.) So what I
> would like to be able to do is have some checkboxes for listeners - Joe,
> Nancy, Kimmy, and Tammy.
>

[snip]

Thomas B. Malsbury
2004-05-11, 10:24
I would like to put in a vote for something along these lines as well. My
girlfriend and I have about an 80% overlap in our musical tastes, but the
remaining 20% is quite different. All to frequently when shuffling all
albums I have to skip ahead when something not to my liking comes up. I
generally just use the web interface and scan ahead a few pages and remove
objectionable songs, but if there was a way to mark entire albums as not to
be played in "Tom's Shuffled" that would be great. I would imagine others
would find a feature like this useful in creating kid/family/office friendly
shuffled playlists.

-Tom

----- Original Message -----
From: "Erv Walter" <erv (AT) ewal (DOT) net>
To: "Slim Devices Developers" <developers (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com>
Sent: Tuesday, May 11, 2004 12:23 PM
Subject: Re: [Developers] idea for a plugin - "multi-user weighted
shuffling"


> Oooh. I like this idea a lot. Make it so :)
>
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "Dale E Martin" <dmartin (AT) cliftonlabs (DOT) com>
> To: <developers (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com>
> Sent: Tuesday, May 11, 2004 9:41 AM
> Subject: [Developers] idea for a plugin - "multi-user weighted shuffling"
>
>
> > One thing I would like to be able to do is a "big shuffle" of my whole
> > collection. I've got a little bit of everything though, and a family
who
> > probably doesn't want to hear everything in the collection... (And some
> > stuff might not be appropriate for my kids, who are 3 and 5.) So what I
> > would like to be able to do is have some checkboxes for listeners - Joe,
> > Nancy, Kimmy, and Tammy.
> >
>
> [snip]
>

kdf
2004-05-11, 10:56
Quoting Dale E Martin <dmartin (AT) cliftonlabs (DOT) com>:


> Does anyone else think that this is a cool idea? Does it already exist? If
> I was to start playing around to figure out how to write a Slimserver
> plugin, is there documentation or would I just need to start hacking on an
> existing plugin in learn from there?
>

Hi Dale,

There is a section on Plugins in the Help-Technical Information section of the
slimserver web UI. It has fallen behind a bit as far as some new features, such
as screensavers and the Web API. as far as code, the included plugins are good
examples of the feature set. DateTime, ofr example makes use of the web API as
well as the screensaver functions. The server code that deals with the Plugin
API is Slim::Buttons::Plugins

cheers,
kdf

dean
2004-05-11, 11:27
Any plugin authors want to take a crack at updating this documentation?


On May 11, 2004, at 10:56 AM, kdf wrote:

> Quoting Dale E Martin <dmartin (AT) cliftonlabs (DOT) com>:
>
>
>> Does anyone else think that this is a cool idea? Does it already
>> exist? If
>> I was to start playing around to figure out how to write a Slimserver
>> plugin, is there documentation or would I just need to start hacking
>> on an
>> existing plugin in learn from there?
>>
>
> Hi Dale,
>
> There is a section on Plugins in the Help-Technical Information
> section of the
> slimserver web UI. It has fallen behind a bit as far as some new
> features, such
> as screensavers and the Web API. as far as code, the included plugins
> are good
> examples of the feature set. DateTime, ofr example makes use of the
> web API as
> well as the screensaver functions. The server code that deals with
> the Plugin
> API is Slim::Buttons::Plugins
>
> cheers,
> kdf
>

kdf
2004-05-11, 11:50
I can handle the screensaver part, since I wrote that bit. But, I haven't a
clue (yet) how the new web hooks work :)
-kdf

Quoting dean blackketter <dean (AT) slimdevices (DOT) com>:

> Any plugin authors want to take a crack at updating this documentation?
>
>
> On May 11, 2004, at 10:56 AM, kdf wrote:
>
> > Quoting Dale E Martin <dmartin (AT) cliftonlabs (DOT) com>:
> >
> >
> >> Does anyone else think that this is a cool idea? Does it already
> >> exist? If
> >> I was to start playing around to figure out how to write a Slimserver
> >> plugin, is there documentation or would I just need to start hacking
> >> on an
> >> existing plugin in learn from there?
> >>
> >
> > Hi Dale,
> >
> > There is a section on Plugins in the Help-Technical Information
> > section of the
> > slimserver web UI. It has fallen behind a bit as far as some new
> > features, such
> > as screensavers and the Web API. as far as code, the included plugins
> > are good
> > examples of the feature set. DateTime, ofr example makes use of the
> > web API as
> > well as the screensaver functions. The server code that deals with
> > the Plugin
> > API is Slim::Buttons::Plugins
> >
> > cheers,
> > kdf
> >

dean
2004-05-11, 11:56
Great. I'll ask Vidur to take a look at the web part...

On May 11, 2004, at 11:50 AM, kdf wrote:

> I can handle the screensaver part, since I wrote that bit. But, I
> haven't a
> clue (yet) how the new web hooks work :)
> -kdf
>
> Quoting dean blackketter <dean (AT) slimdevices (DOT) com>:
>
>> Any plugin authors want to take a crack at updating this
>> documentation?
>>
>>
>> On May 11, 2004, at 10:56 AM, kdf wrote:
>>
>>> Quoting Dale E Martin <dmartin (AT) cliftonlabs (DOT) com>:
>>>
>>>
>>>> Does anyone else think that this is a cool idea? Does it already
>>>> exist? If
>>>> I was to start playing around to figure out how to write a
>>>> Slimserver
>>>> plugin, is there documentation or would I just need to start hacking
>>>> on an
>>>> existing plugin in learn from there?
>>>>
>>>
>>> Hi Dale,
>>>
>>> There is a section on Plugins in the Help-Technical Information
>>> section of the
>>> slimserver web UI. It has fallen behind a bit as far as some new
>>> features, such
>>> as screensavers and the Web API. as far as code, the included
>>> plugins
>>> are good
>>> examples of the feature set. DateTime, ofr example makes use of the
>>> web API as
>>> well as the screensaver functions. The server code that deals with
>>> the Plugin
>>> API is Slim::Buttons::Plugins
>>>
>>> cheers,
>>> kdf
>>>

kdf
2004-05-11, 12:20
hah! stupid me. Here I was looking for where I had written the screensaver
stuff, and it turns out I couldn't find it because it was already there :)

phew, that was the easiest documentation project I've ever done...
-kdf

Quoting dean blackketter <dean (AT) slimdevices (DOT) com>:

> Great. I'll ask Vidur to take a look at the web part...
>
> On May 11, 2004, at 11:50 AM, kdf wrote:
>
> > I can handle the screensaver part, since I wrote that bit. But, I
> > haven't a
> > clue (yet) how the new web hooks work :)
> > -kdf
> >
> > Quoting dean blackketter <dean (AT) slimdevices (DOT) com>:
> >
> >> Any plugin authors want to take a crack at updating this
> >> documentation?
> >>
> >>
> >> On May 11, 2004, at 10:56 AM, kdf wrote:
> >>
> >>> Quoting Dale E Martin <dmartin (AT) cliftonlabs (DOT) com>:
> >>>
> >>>
> >>>> Does anyone else think that this is a cool idea? Does it already
> >>>> exist? If
> >>>> I was to start playing around to figure out how to write a
> >>>> Slimserver
> >>>> plugin, is there documentation or would I just need to start hacking
> >>>> on an
> >>>> existing plugin in learn from there?
> >>>>
> >>>
> >>> Hi Dale,
> >>>
> >>> There is a section on Plugins in the Help-Technical Information
> >>> section of the
> >>> slimserver web UI. It has fallen behind a bit as far as some new
> >>> features, such
> >>> as screensavers and the Web API. as far as code, the included
> >>> plugins
> >>> are good
> >>> examples of the feature set. DateTime, ofr example makes use of the
> >>> web API as
> >>> well as the screensaver functions. The server code that deals with
> >>> the Plugin
> >>> API is Slim::Buttons::Plugins
> >>>
> >>> cheers,
> >>> kdf
> >>>

dean
2004-05-11, 12:46
Thanks for the fast turnaround. :)

On May 11, 2004, at 12:20 PM, kdf wrote:

> hah! stupid me. Here I was looking for where I had written the
> screensaver
> stuff, and it turns out I couldn't find it because it was already
> there :)
>
> phew, that was the easiest documentation project I've ever done...
> -kdf
>
> Quoting dean blackketter <dean (AT) slimdevices (DOT) com>:
>
>> Great. I'll ask Vidur to take a look at the web part...
>>
>> On May 11, 2004, at 11:50 AM, kdf wrote:
>>
>>> I can handle the screensaver part, since I wrote that bit. But, I
>>> haven't a
>>> clue (yet) how the new web hooks work :)
>>> -kdf
>>>
>>> Quoting dean blackketter <dean (AT) slimdevices (DOT) com>:
>>>
>>>> Any plugin authors want to take a crack at updating this
>>>> documentation?
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> On May 11, 2004, at 10:56 AM, kdf wrote:
>>>>
>>>>> Quoting Dale E Martin <dmartin (AT) cliftonlabs (DOT) com>:
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>> Does anyone else think that this is a cool idea? Does it already
>>>>>> exist? If
>>>>>> I was to start playing around to figure out how to write a
>>>>>> Slimserver
>>>>>> plugin, is there documentation or would I just need to start
>>>>>> hacking
>>>>>> on an
>>>>>> existing plugin in learn from there?
>>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> Hi Dale,
>>>>>
>>>>> There is a section on Plugins in the Help-Technical Information
>>>>> section of the
>>>>> slimserver web UI. It has fallen behind a bit as far as some new
>>>>> features, such
>>>>> as screensavers and the Web API. as far as code, the included
>>>>> plugins
>>>>> are good
>>>>> examples of the feature set. DateTime, ofr example makes use of
>>>>> the
>>>>> web API as
>>>>> well as the screensaver functions. The server code that deals with
>>>>> the Plugin
>>>>> API is Slim::Buttons::Plugins
>>>>>
>>>>> cheers,
>>>>> kdf
>>>>>